Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Events at the AAM this year? July 4th and/or Labor Day?

2011 Events at the AAM this year? July 4th and/or Labor Day?

Now that my appetite has been wet by the events this past weekend, is there any info on goings on for the rest of the year at the AAM?

Particularly for Labor Day and July 4th weekends? (Especially since the 4th is a 3day this year?)

Last year we had the Lancaster and Spitfire on Labor day.

Anyone heard any talk yet?

I haven't heard anything about July 4th weekend - it's not traditionally a big weekend for the AAM, but if I get word on anything, I'll pass it along. Labor Day weekend should have plenty of action. No details yet on visitors or a "theme" but count on the museum's birds flying. Should know more in the coming weeks.

BUMP

Anyone have an update on the LAbor Day event at the AAM? I heard they are going to feature the Corsair. Does this include inviting other museum Corsairs too? I checked the website but when you click on the image the link is dead.

There will be a variety of activities at the museum this weekend. They are conducting D-Day experience flights with the C-47, there will be events marking the Centennial of Naval Aviation - in addition to the museum's aircraft, there should be at least one other Corsair, and perhaps other Grumman aircraft (TBM, etc.) They will also have a tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen, with a "missing man" formation in honor of Lt. William Wheeler who passed earlier this year. Of course, with the recent hurricane, some of the visiting aircraft may not be able to attend, but it should be another good weekend at the museum.

I'll agree, the museum's web page leaves something to be desired (and I know they'll say the same) but if you are on Facebook, they keep their page there pretty well up to date.

John - Are these activities going to be going on both Sat and Sunday? I am asking, because if I can actually make it down, it will most likely only be on sunday. This storm has burnt up most of my extra cash that I was going to use to head down there for labor day.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Steve, most of the C-47 flights are scheduled for Saturday, but depending on how many people they get flying, you could see some on Sunday as well. The Tuskegee memorial flight is on Sunday (per their FB page). Other than that, I would expect to see stuff flying all three days, weather permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I'll agree, the museum's web page leaves something to be desired (and I know they'll say the same) but if you are on Facebook, they keep their page there pretty well up to date.
    Agree with John on that one. They even give times (estimated but close) when and what aircraft will be flying.

Steve, most of the C-47 flights are scheduled for Saturday, but depending on how many people they get flying, you could see some on Sunday as well. The Tuskegee memorial flight is on Sunday (per their FB page). Other than that, I would expect to see stuff flying all three days, weather permitting.
    Thanks John. I am really hopeful to be at the museum on Sunday. Any hotels around there with cheap rooms (under 70/night)? So that I can stay til monday...

Also, what time do the festivites start on sunday so I know what time to arrive.
    Last edited by steve1840; 2011-08-31 at 09:48 AM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

sorry, the post about the motel had no rooms available this weekend. sorry
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-08-31 at 05:15 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Steve, the museum should open at 9am on Sunday. Things should get started shortly thereafter. I'll be there all day Sunday, be sure to come find me.

I stopped in for a couple of hours this afternoon and helped with the post-Irene unpacking. Still a lot to do before the weekend, but it should all get done.

Steve, the museum should open at 9am on Sunday. Things should get started shortly thereafter. I'll be there all day Sunday, be sure to come find me.

I stopped in for a couple of hours this afternoon and helped with the post-Irene unpacking. Still a lot to do before the weekend, but it should all get done.
    Will do! Hopefully traffic won't be too terrible getting down there Sunday morning, and that I should get there right around 9, if not a little earlier.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

IMHO I would concentrate more on the webpage, as I doubt much of their prime audience that they want to attract is not on and has no interest in joining FB. At least there should be a way to make it public that you can view it without being a member? I only see a single description page of the museum when I searched AAM and FB.

Do they mention anything specific about the transient TBM and Corsairs?

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    IMHO I would concentrate more on the webpage, as I doubt much of their prime audience that they want to attract is not on and has no interest in joining FB. At least there should be a way to make it public that you can view it without being a member? I only see a single description page of the museum when I searched AAM and FB.
    Link to their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Americ...m/123023458399
    I was able to view it after logging out of FB. Part of the problem is FB is easy to update, and they can one or two people responsible for posting information. The web page involves a certain level of programming, and they do have someone who does the work, but it is basically donated time so his "real job" has to come first.

And by the way, from discussions I've had, Newsday still brings in the largest number of visitors. FB and other social media bring in almost as many.

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Do they mention anything specific about the transient TBM and Corsairs?

Sat September 3rd we will continue our year long tribute to the Centennial of Naval Aviation with a roll out of 2xTBM-3 Avengers and 2xF4U/FG-1D Corsairs. We will also roll out our PBY under restoration for display and tours on the flight line. Weather permitting there will be flight ops of the Corsairs and at least 1 TBM.
    and
    For full disclosure our TBM aircraft may ground run, but may not be in the air that weekend still TBD. Its currently awaiting some maintenance work to include an engine change. But that being said we have a visiting TBM-3 that will most likely do most of the flying. Our apologies. We will have a ground display with both Avengers and both Corsairs where all 4 will execute a wing fold demonstration.
    I believe the Corsair will be Tom Duffy's "Marine's Dream". I don't know where the Avenger is coming from.
    Last edited by moose135; 2011-09-01 at 05:21 PM.

Link to their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Americ...m/123023458399
    I was able to view it after logging out of FB. Part of the problem is FB is easy to update, and they can one or two people responsible for posting information.
    Just was on FB and the AAM posted 3 Updates in the last 30 minutes about this Weekend.

"Glamorous Gal" P-51 Mustang took to the skies around 2:20 or so and all I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!! Well I will say a little more. The plane flew a series of Fly-Bys coming into 1-9 and one coming into Runway 1 that IMHO were SPECTACULAR!! Low and fast and loud!! I was standing on the hill by 1-9 near the parking lot and I swear it looked like he was flying just inches
    above the fence there!! Just very very cool!!