Thread: Renting a lens, thoughts?

Renting a lens, thoughts?

Hey guys, I'm thinking of renting a lens and wanted your input, I would be using it to shoot at JFK at bay view.

Here's the lens:
    http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/...on_600mm_f4_IS

It will be attached to a Cannon MII.

Thanks in advance.

S

Should be fun. You'll get some tight shots with the 600 from Bayswater.

I've used CameraLensRentals.com the last couple times I rented. They were more affordable and the customer service was awesome, though they don't have as much selection as BorrowLenses. The biggest Canon they have is the 500mm.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Don;t forget on Full Frame you may want the 800mm f/5.6 which sadly, Nikon no longer makes :-( but Canon's version is SWEET!!!

At least from Bayswater to 13R departures to get a frame filling image of a A320, you need at least 800mm is they use runway heading. If they bank right towards you, you can get away with 600mm ... again, to FILL THE FRAME. IF you don't mind cropping, then it's OK even at 400mm as long as you have a lot of pixels to concentrate on the center. Believe it or not, it is almost a mile from Bayswater to 31L/13R !

Try my map on for distances to the various runways from our official spotting areas

http://goo.gl/maps/kvUq

Zoom in and click on the thin light green lines...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    Might want to grab a decent tripod too, if you don't have one already...that sucker gets heavy fast. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    Might want to grab a decent tripod too, if you don't have one already...that sucker gets heavy fast. Have fun!
    Ha! So true... and a Gimbal Head since spotting involves lots of moving in two axis...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Holy smokes......that's going to be a big puppy to carry around....ditto on the tripod, especially if the winds are kicking up at Bayswater. Definitely looking forward to seeing your images with this lens. Throw a teleconverter, and you might be able to see me at HoBe spotting from Bayswater.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Ha! So true... and a Gimbal Head since spotting involves lots of moving in two axis...
    Yes, and a ball head will not support a lens that big.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9