Thread: 32 years ago American flight 191

32 years ago American flight 191

Today marks 32 years since AA191 a DC-10-10 N110AA crashed after take off from ORD. The incident happened on May 27, 1979 after the number one engine seperated as the plane took off on 32R enroute to LAX. The plane lost hydralics and the blame was mostly human error. May all 271 of the victums RIP..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

About 10 years ago I worked with another therapist who witnessed the crash. Apparently he had pulled into one of the highway rest stops over there and saw it hit the ground. I remember him telling me "it made the most ungodly sound you could ever imagine"

Even with the loss of the powerplant and the asymmetrical flap/slat configuration that that caused, they could have saved her if they would have put the nose down to keep the speed up so that wing wouldn't stall. Had the warning horn not gotten disabled maybe they would have been alerted to the impending stall. But hindsight being what it is, it's always hard to judge people under immense pressure like that. At least they stopped using forklifts to change powerplants.

God Bless them

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR View Post
    Today marks 32 years since AA191 a DC-10-10 N110AA crashed after take off from ORD. The incident happened on May 27, 1979 after the number one engine seperated as the plane took off on 32R enroute to LAX. The plane lost hydralics and the blame was mostly human error. May all 271 of the victums RIP..
    Mostly? I would say all. AA made a money saving decision and threw any sort of safety right out the window. It could be debated the pilots could have saved the aircraft but the sole reason this plane went down is AA made one horrible decision to use a forklift then made another and let a shift change without having a load bearing engine attached properly. What a total breakdown in airline managment on so many levels.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Mostly? I would say all. AA made a money saving decision and threw any sort of safety right out the window. It could be debated the pilots could have saved the aircraft but the sole reason this plane went down is AA made one horrible decision to use a forklift then made another and let a shift change without having a load bearing engine attached properly. What a total breakdown in airline managment on so many levels.
    Just to add to that, AA made another boneheaded move by ordering all of their DC-10-10's without stick shakers on the first officer's control column. Thus, when the power to the captain's stick shaker was cut with the loss of engine #1, they had no indication that they were stalling. Total ineptitude in airline management and completely preventable on a few different levels.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

"Total ineptitude in airline management and completely preventable on a few different levels."

Remember, things were quite different back then.
    Airline management thought things out differently.
    Captain Eddie Rickenbacker ordered all his new airplanes without autopilots because he "paid his PILOTS to fly the planes"

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post

In retrospect, it's amazing the FAA allowed the aircraft to be certified and sold without that option of a redundant safety system. McDD for offering it as well as AA

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R View Post
    In retrospect, it's amazing the FAA allowed the aircraft to be certified and sold without that option of a redundant safety system. McDD for offering it as well as AA
    Like FAA is a competent agency?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol