Thread: Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wink Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hello all

I am just wondering if anyone has times of arrival and departure of TNT Cargo B763Fs and DHL B763Fs for this coming weekend, specifically Saturday, May 28, 2011.
    I am coming down from Canada for a day trip and I am hoping to photograph these freighters.
    Also, does anyone have an accurate weather forecast, as I have seen two different scenarios in the past two days. First it called for Thunderstorms, and now it looks like its going to be a sunny day.
    And lastly, is there any place to photograph 22R departures? Is Bayswater sufficient?
    thanks to all, B77WYYZ

From my experience, the TNT 767 came in around 10:30 last time I saw her and departed around 6:00. But those times could vary from day to day im sure. As for the weather, you're not really going to know what its gonna do this probably the day before and even then it could change. My first trip to JFK to spot I was expecting sunny skies for the entire day as that is what I had seen forecast all week, but when I made the long drive there I was met with cloudy skies all day. And as far as 22 departures, Bayswater is good until the sun shifts to the other side around noon - 1:00.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

thanks Steve, I just hope the weather co-operates, LOL, B77WYYZ

The TNT is an early morning flight, usually arriving between 6:30-8:30am. It usually departs between 9-11am.

The DHL arrival is earlier (5:15-6:30am), with 8-9am departure.

In addition to what Steve mentioned, you need a long lens (300-400mm) for Bayswater 22R departures.
    Last edited by Cary; 2011-05-23 at 02:25 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

My mistake on the flight times for the TNT flight. Must have been a day that they were off schedule by a bit.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

thanks Cary, I am kinda hoping for the 31s, get landing shots at 31R and also departures off 31L. 22s and 4s would be good too. I don't want to see the dreaded 22L and 13L set up. I'm not complaining about 22L, got great shots, but I missed a lot of aircraft coming in on 13L. But, saying that, if they were to be on 13L arrivals, where is a good spot to photograph? Last year I was on airport property and was a bit leery about police activity, constantly looking over my shoulder! Is there a good spot to get 13L arrivals off airport, and if so, can you give me directions from the car rental area.
    thanks, B77WYYZ.

Quote Originally Posted by B77WYYZ View Post
    thanks Cary, I am kinda hoping for the 31s, get landing shots at 31R and also departures off 31L. 22s and 4s would be good too. I don't want to see the dreaded 22L and 13L set up. I'm not complaining about 22L, got great shots, but I missed a lot of aircraft coming in on 13L. But, saying that, if they were to be on 13L arrivals, where is a good spot to photograph? Last year I was on airport property and was a bit leery about police activity, constantly looking over my shoulder! Is there a good spot to get 13L arrivals off airport, and if so, can you give me directions from the car rental area.
    thanks, B77WYYZ.
    If the forecast holds (SSW/SW winds), they will probably be on the 22s most of the day (possibly changing to the 31s for late-morning until early afternoon), then back to the 22s around 5pm. Not sure about 13 spots/directions, but the 13s shouldn't be in play, if the winds stay are from the W/SW.

Just be forewarned...(vehicular) traffic might be heavier than normal, due to the Jones Beach Air Show. I might stop at JFK for a bit on Saturday, on the way to FRG, depending on how the WX turns out.
    Last edited by Cary; 2011-05-23 at 04:09 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

thanks again Cary, good to hear that the 13s will not be in play. I'm looking forward to getting 31 arrivals, and let's hope the weather holds, thanks B77WYYZ

Hello all

Well, I came down to JFK with the hope that the weather would co-operate, and lo and behold it held, but unfortunately for me, the winds didn't co-operate. There they were on the 22s in the morning, for which I went to North Woodsmere Park to get landing shots. Boy, the runways are a bit farther away than expected, but thanks to digital!!
    But unfortunately, they went to 13L arrivals and 13R departures with of course the smatering of European arrivals on 22L.
    I guess my next trip down, I will have to rely on heavy nw winds for them to be on the 31s.
    Oh well, I enjoyed JFK so much that I will be back for the aircraft I missed.
    P.S. does anyone have the registration for the Southern Air B747F that was parked up on Sat. May 28, 2011 at Cargo. Unfortunately, because I was driving and the traffic was heavy at the time, I was unable to stop to put binoculars on it, thanks in advance, B77WYYZ

They were on 22L / 13s until about 3:30 - 4:00pm today and then went to 31LKK and 22L/R until I left as the sun hit the horizon...

Winds were no factor today, very mild, so JFK had its way and chose their preferred pattern.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS