Thread: AMS/EHAM Spotting within airport ?

AMS/EHAM Spotting within airport ?

Hello everyone !

If you have any experience at AMS/EHAM, maybe you can help me here. I will be connecting in Amsterdam next month with a scheduled 2h40 layover, however my inbound flight always seems to arrive 30mn-1hr ahead of schedule, so my layover may be longer. I thought I'd do some spotting from inside the airport if there are any good spots, or if this is even possible ? Thanks for your help.
    Christos

I have never been there so I'm not sure how to get there, but doesn't AMS have the outdoor spotting deck on top of the terminal? Not sure if it is inside or outside of security.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Being a big KLM fan myself - I have been visiting its home base numerous times through the years !
    During your layover at Schiphol - do you plan to come out of security or stay behind security until you connect with your continuing flight to your destination ?
    If you stay behind security, there is not much you can do other than maybe take a walk over to the pier where the G, H and M gates are with all-glass walls from top to bottom with unobstructed views of the ramp aprons. The other piers and even those for the Schengen flights offer decent views too.
    You can check www.schiphol.nl for more info and if you have a smartphone - download the Schiphol app which is very informative and useful just like the airport's website.
    If you have at least over 2 hours layover - you can come out of security and head to the free public observation deck called the 'Panorama terras' in Dutch giving you great easterly views of the apron and with a nice adjacent restaurant offering similar views.
    Or, you can head out to Schiphol Plaza and hire a cab to drive you around the perimeter of the airport provided that the cabbie knows where to go.

If you require more specific information, feel free to contact me directly.
    There are a lot of Dutch websites on the web with up-to-the-moment spotting information on Schiphol....
    Last edited by FlyALM; 2011-05-13 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks so much for the info ! Depending on time, I am not sure if I will come out of security, but it's great to know I have the option if the flight arrives very early.
    Christos

Loads of places inside the terminal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1003538...7626032968773/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1003538...7623288581392/

Don't wander towards the El Al gate however.

Thanks for all the help !! I actually decided to hang out at the bar across from gate B15, but on my walk from the F gates to the B gates, I got some good ramp shots. I caught a KLM MD11 like I really wanted, and even an Olympic Air A320. I will upload some photos from my flight and from inside AMS/EHAM to the forum once I get the chance.
    Christos

Quote Originally Posted by Ychocky View Post
    Loads of places inside the terminal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1003538...7626032968773/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1003538...7623288581392/

Don't wander towards the El Al gate however.
    Great shots !! I will definitely walk around a bit more on my return trip. I believe the layover is 2h45. And regarding the ElAl gate, I don't plan on getting in trouble thanks for the heads up
    Christos