Thread: Spotting at JFK Soon, need your input...

Spotting at JFK Soon, need your input...

Hi All,

I am planning on visiting JFK for the first time in the coming month or two to do some spotting. The plan is to make an elapsed time video of aircraft queing up on the taxiway, waiting for takeoff. I need some guidance from any of you where the best spot I can shoot a head on view of a busy taxiway. I would like to shoot at angle such as in this photo:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6302596&nseq=1

I looked on the planespotting guides, which gives some fantastic information on areas to spot. Though, I know some of you know the inside and outs of JFK so this is where I need your help.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Wings One Aviation Media - High Quality Aviation Videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostonAirborne

The only locations where that may be possible are Bayswater and HoBe, spots D and A, respectively, on the spotting guide. To get line up and taxiway queues, Bayswater is for the 4's and HoBe for 13R. However, Bayswater is backlit in the afternoon.

The only place from where you can catch some ground traffic is Bayswater.... but you need hmmm 600mm to get a good video. If you lucky you will see planes lining up, usually no more than 2-3 :) In the summer time situation is little different you can catch much more planes waiting for departure....
    Living The Dream...

It's unfortunately just not going to be possible to get the same kinda stuff that you got at KBOS because of how far the spotting locations are from teh active runways. You'd only be able to film the sky and get them passing you quickly every 2 mins. :(
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McD View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning on visiting JFK for the first time in the coming month or two to do some spotting. The plan is to make an elapsed time video of aircraft queing up on the taxiway, waiting for takeoff. I need some guidance from any of you where the best spot I can shoot a head on view of a busy taxiway. I would like to shoot at angle such as in this photo:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6302596&nseq=1

I looked on the planespotting guides, which gives some fantastic information on areas to spot. Though, I know some of you know the inside and outs of JFK so this is where I need your help.

Thanks,
    Chris
    That shot on JetPhotos of the line-up is possible from the inside on the ramp at JFK while it is totally not possible anywhere outside around the perimeter of the airport....unfortunately.