Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Aviation Sounds

Your Favorite Aviation Sounds

What are your favorite audio experinces as experinced from onboard an airplane and outside?

For me, there is something about the sound of the flap drive motor on the classic series 737's (300/400/500) that sounds really cool. It's kind of a mechanical high pitched wine. The other thing I absolutely loved sitting there and waiting for the gear to come down on the CRJ-100/200... I always got a big laugh at the expense of those who seldom get to fly on them. The loud "BANG" as the pumps kick in and start forcing the gear down.

From the outside.... My absolute favorite thing is to sit on the beach in the summer when JFK is departing the 22's or 13's and listen to the buzz saw sound of 767's, A330's and 747's as they climb ever so shallow out over Long Beach for parts far away. It's like my zen.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I enjoy the humor the sounds Ryan makes while enjoying the sounds he described. Can someone please get him a girl? =P

That said, a nice P-51 doing high speed passes always sounds orgasmic!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Program Coordinator
    The sound of a radial engine as it shudders to life is pretty awesome. And best...the GE90 on the 777 as it starts its takeoff roll - there's a moment when they first start running up engine, then it briefly pauses before they throttle it up to full power - it's that moment.

That moment happens at 1:12-1:20.
    Last edited by jerslice; 2011-05-08 at 04:30 PM.

The instant the condition lever is pushed in right at the :16 mark.

Also JT8D's; doesn't matter what stage of flight.

The sounds of an approaching helicopter especially the UH-1H!!
    I remember one summer some years back sitting at TOBAY Beach on a clear day and all of a sudden I hear the sound of copters coming in from the East. I have that Radar O'Reilly
    ability. I walked down to the shoreline and in the distance I can see them coming, low and they looked BIG. And they were, 3 Army Chinooks!!!!!!! I t was amazing and they pretty
    much stopped activity on the beach as they passed!!

1) The sound of throaty radials as they do a low pass
    2) The sound that CFM-56's make as they are spooling up
    3) Listening to the wake turbulence after a 757 just zooms past at Planeview Park.

Sound of a blue juice flush in a 747sp at 42k is just the things dreams are made of. The sound of the the aircraft draining into the honey cart is not bad either.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

There is something wrong with you, Fred...

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Sound of a blue juice flush in a 747sp at 42k is just the things dreams are made of. The sound of the the aircraft draining into the honey cart is not bad either.
    ...and to think, I thought Ryan had issues...

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Engines:
    1) JT8D, any stage of flight, but the engine start-up/spool-up is the best.
    2) The "moo-ing" sound of the CF6-80C and GE90 during the start-up phase. The growl at takeoff is pretty good on both of these as well.
    3) The growl of an old JT9D or RB211-524 at takeoff power. The PW 4000 is good, but nothing beats those classics!

General Sounds:
    1) The electric hydraulic pump on the MD-80 and A320
    2) The electric hydraulic pump and the flap-motor drive on the 757
    3) The hydraulic pump on the 767/777 associated with the ailerons and flap drive motors, that thing can really get going when the aircraft is maneuvering or the flaps are being deployed!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Nothing like the sound of Rolls Royce RB211's on 757's for me from both inside the aircraft and out !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mnf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LJH...eature=related

Cheers

LGA777

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Sitting in class when a MD-80 starts it take off roll on runway 4.
    Scan sound in an air traffic control tower.
    Expressway visuals arrivals over my home on a warm summer night.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I will second the MD80 at takeoff. In Sarasota during the "winter" when it was in the 40's with a good amount of humidity in the air the early AM Delta MD-88 to ATL used to set off almost every car alarm around the airport during the takeoff roll. If I could push a pair of levers up and do that I would be grinning the whole way up. I'll raise you 20 series Lears at takeoff. The crackle those CJ610's make at takeoff power rattles your ribs 3 miles away. On a good damp day or cold day those things can break windows.

Imagine that in person....
    Last edited by hiss srq; 2011-05-10 at 04:14 PM.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Ryan, a certain G-III you are familiar with also leaves the lungs vibrating during those nice warm, muggy summer days.