Thread: Air France B744 or KLM B74M ?

Air France B744 or KLM B74M ?

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted here !

I will be doing my yearly trip to the south of France to spend time with my family there... Will be leaving right after my graduation on AFR007, the A388 ! I am trying to plan my return, however. I can either take KLM643 onboard the B74M, or AFR010 onboard the B744.

What are your thoughts as to which flight to take ? I have flown on both flights with the same equipment before. I don't mind KLM not having PTVs. I am concerned with which would be a better catch, meaning, should I take AF since they will retire their 747s in a few years ? Thoughts ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by fly.mcs; 2011-05-06 at 12:42 AM.
    Christos

I have a special place in my heart for the gorgeous KLM Flight Attendants and their excellent service. At least in First Class on my last trip to Amsterdam... they made me feel like the millionaire that I am not LOL.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I've got to agree with Manny, KLM Flight Crew are great and treat you fabulously, although I've never flown on AF so I can't say good or bad about them as for the type of 747 I say either one, a 747 ride can never be bad.

I've heard MUCH better things about KLM's international product, so I'd agree with both of the gentlemen and go with them. Have a great trip btw!
    Adam Sheinhaus

I've never flown with either carrier, but it'd be cool to ride a Combi.

Hmm, I will definitely have to put more thought into this. But not too much as time is ticking...

If I do go with KL, I will be guaranteed row 22 with a great view of the engines. For AF, I would have to wait until check-in to ensure row 14 for this same view.
    Christos

AF never makes you feel special if you travel coach. Never had the opportunity to try first class though...

It's never bad, but there is strictly nothing to jump on one leg for. They just get you from A to B.

I have flown both KLM and AF on these exact flights before, but I'm not sure if KLM makes economy passengers feel more special than AF does their economy passengers. Could also be because I have always sat at 14L on the AF 744 and had good conversations with the F/A. In other words, I have never really been seated amongst the majority of the economy passengers. Whenever I walk aft to take a cabin shot, it always feels so cramped, which is why I always try to sit as far forward as possible.

So in my experience, I'm not sure if I would choose KL over AF because they make me feel special. AF did hand out small amenity kits, which I have never gotten with KL. However, I may be leaning more toward KL at the current moment
    Christos

I don't know... if you fly economy, does it really matter? If it were me, I'd just pick the cheapest ticket.

In any case, say hi to my fellow Frenchies when you get there I see you're going to MRS, hopefully you guys will be freshly crowned champions again hehe (I'm a PSG fan though).

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    I don't know... if you fly economy, does it really matter? If it were me, I'd just pick the cheapest ticket.

In any case, say hi to my fellow Frenchies when you get there I see you're going to MRS, hopefully you guys will be freshly crowned champions again hehe (I'm a PSG fan though).
    Very true ! I am always this way when it comes to selecting flights to Europe, especially if the price difference is only about 20$. However, I might have to opt for the latest flight out of Kennedy on 2/JUN to ensure that I do not run late and miss it. This flight would be with KL on the B772, so I have decided to take KL all the way through, both outbound and inbound. Guess you all persuaded me

Haha, and thanks !! My cousins in Marseille turn their noses up to PSG, though lol
    Christos

On AF the have economy on the upper deck of their B747 if you can get up there, its like flying in a whole different plane then the people downstairs
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Yes, I have flown the upper deck on AF and it was an amazing experience. The only thing I had trouble with was getting some window shots. I did manage this, however: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6627204

It was definitely worth the extra 50$ but I did miss being closer to the engines
    Christos