Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW 5 vs 3 series for commercial...

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

BMW 5 vs 3 series for commercial...

Love the following commercial but.....

http://youtu.be/JyepAoMG7TA

having taken an interest in the 335D, that car actually gets 36 mpg over the 5's 32.

if fuel consumption is the premise of the commercial, I dont see how this is not more appropriate for the 335D?

Also, bmw is foreign to me. What are the major differences between both?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

"Not without a tanker!"

I love it! Of course, with the coffee we usually had on board, you could use it to run the car...

The BMW M5 is the ultimate driving machine. And you don't have to leave your friend's wife behind :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I have driven the M5, that's one wicked car! My buddy topped it out around 175 and it was nothing for that car.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

OK, take it down a notch. Doing 175 is hardly a reason to buy it.

HOw is the 3 series that much better than the 5?
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

My brother has a new M5 and he and I did the BMW performance driving school in South Carolina. Taking it through it's paces around the track is where it really shines - the handling, acceleration and strong brakes are all amazing. It's really an awesome machine and the sound of that V10 ... OMG!!!!

Mario, the 3 series is a smaller and lower cost car than the 5 series. The 3 series is very highly regarded and there are many variations available. From 6 cylinders to a V8, from 2 door to 4 door and a convertible. And that diesel is quite something - huge torque out of that engine.

Isaac

The Top Gear roadtest of the M5 (from a couple of years ago) is a must-see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8

The M3 with the electronic clutch is well, delicious. To me not as great as the M5 ... BUT, the M3 does enjoy one thing missing from most of its competition: 50/50 weight distribution and seriously low unsprung weight... meaning it can be tossed around much harder than the M5. However, once the M5 gets back on the straight, it's tailpipe-views for the M3

I have driven both at Lime Rock Park in CT. Aside from a Dodge Viper R/T, the M5 left me speechless. It is almost as hard as the Viper but soooooo much more refined, smoother, quieter, etc.

The Viper shines when you are going at 100MPH out of a corner and you hit the gas and you feel your brain contents compress against the back of your skull... but then it does have more CI than the Bimmer's V10 and in the end, torque is everything on a track as short as Lime Rock. On the Nurburgring, the M5 would likely do better against the Viper.

Oh I love this stuff as much as planes.

Kaz, let's GO!!!!!

P.S. Fastest I have ever driven myself was 167MPH between Munich and Meinigen in Germany. Passing cops at that speed makes you giggle as if you were in your mother's arms as a baby LOL! Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG that belonged to a Senior VP of an Optical Networking company we do business with (I wish it were mine) ... that was very scary and exciting at the same time. The car could just keep on going and it felt completely safe... mostly because you KNOW no one is going to get in front of you.. .and also because at 140MPH someone actually flashed to pass hahahahaha. That was cool. Moved over, let the little 911 GT pass and then hopped behind him for about 20 miles at 165+

Kaz! How fast is that beast of yours?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Kaz! How fast is that beast of yours?
    Manny, it "stops" at 155 (not that I've tried) .. But I could imagine it won't be hard since it's up to 90 in a blink of an eye and it feels like you are doing 50 !

Motor Trend did a head to head race with the new M3 and my car and both cars ended up being dead even off the line ... Pretty cool video

Last edited by Roush6NY; 2011-05-05 at 09:48 AM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Mario the 3 series has much better reliability ratings over the long term then the 5 series. I've been looking into a 3 series, prob pull the trigger summer of 2012. I'm not going new though, def doing preowned certified. Let someone else enjoy the depreciation costs :) 5 series to me seems to be a bit stoggy while the 3 series is youthful, sporty, yet elegant.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    Mario the 3 series has much better reliability ratings over the long term then the 5 series. I've been looking into a 3 series, prob pull the trigger summer of 2012. I'm not going new though, def doing preowned certified. Let someone else enjoy the depreciation costs :) 5 series to me seems to be a bit stoggy while the 3 series is youthful, sporty, yet elegant.
    Not only that but I am thinking of buying a Bimmer and the 5 series is not enough of a jump up from the 3 to justify the difference in cost. Not including the 7 series you just get more for your money with the 3 series.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Not only that but I am thinking of buying a Bimmer and the 5 series is not enough of a jump up from the 3 to justify the difference in cost. Not including the 7 series you just get more for your money with the 3 series.

Ahh, something we three wizards of ID can agree on? While not a huge car enthusiast myself I too am thinking of the next car and reliability is one of my first priorities. So yes, Tom, that is why I have interest in the 3 CPO myself. But I gotta tell you, that commercial doesnt seem to make too much sense since its premise is fuel consumption and the 3 is better than 5 on that front.

335D to be exact. But.....MAza is bringing....guess what Nick....DIESELS here. The cx7 and cx9 are decent fun cars and with a diesel, WHOOOP!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    335D to be exact. But.....MAza is bringing....guess what Nick....DIESELS here. The cx7 and cx9 are decent fun cars and with a diesel, WHOOOP!
    ?? If you want fun with a Mazda get the Rotary engine. You can rev the heck out of that thing and do better donuts in the snow. As for the diesel go for it I just will refuse to talk to you.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Ahh, something we three wizards of ID can agree on? While not a huge car enthusiast myself I too am thinking of the next car and reliability is one of my first priorities. So yes, Tom, that is why I have interest in the 3 CPO myself. But I gotta tell you, that commercial doesnt seem to make too much sense since its premise is fuel consumption and the 3 is better than 5 on that front.

Mazda??? Eh...diven them before...plastic peices of crap...

Tom, after listening to you wax poetic about Droids and seeing you switch teams to iPhone, you've lost all credibility.

As for Mazda, they are just behind Honda in reliability and BMW lags further behind, but if I do spring for a Mazda, I may lease a diesel. lets see what the next few model years hold.