Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW 5 vs 3 series for commercial...

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Tom, I am usually in agreement with CPO regarding depreciation, but not only that.. I hate that new car's first DING. total killer.

The 3 series BMW I've read is getting a re-vamp.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Tom, after listening to you wax poetic about Droids and seeing you switch teams to iPhone, you've lost all credibility.

As for Mazda, they are just behind Honda in reliability and BMW lags further behind, but if I do spring for a Mazda, I may lease a diesel. lets see what the next few model years hold.
    See you are putting words in my mouth.....I said there are good and bad about both. As for Mazada....I'm telling you, look at their cockpit...plastic, plastic, plastic. Now please resume your search for OBL ;) Nick is offering to assist.

The 3 series is a great car. It's overall reliability is pretty good. It's got a lot of kick. As of 2008 the city gas milage was a little crappy but when you open her up on Ocean Parkway she does pretty good. The biggest thing with the 3 series that I saw (328Xi Coupe black) is it has ALOT of electrical bugs.... If you don't have an nusance message something is wrong verses the other way around. Stupid little things like tail lamp fault that don't actually exist and what not. I'm looking at another BMW for NY as I am spending more time in NY again. I had one for 2 years. Absolutely loved the car but couldnt afford it in the least. Now, I am in a better place. I don't know much about the new 3 series but I will vouch that the 2008 was a gem. It has alot of comfort to it. The thing I really liked alot was the air bags in the seats. If you were taking a curve or a turn really hard it would counteract the gravity shift by inflating on the outside of the turn so you stay totally centered through the turn. Driving on dark windy roads wasnt bad either, the headlights follow the wheel imputs so you can see around the curve to an extent. The caller ID in the navi screen w speed dial settings is pretty cool . You can program the car to speed dial certain numbers off you phone. Its nice when your driving in the rain and whatnot because you can keep focus on the road. BMW is the way to go when you can afford it. I cannot wait to get back into one again when the finance is there to do it.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thomas, not putting words anywhere. Fact is you loved Droid, telling me all about it and switched teams.

As I said, not jumping and cockpit is same as my old and current Altima. It's all polymers anyway.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

I used to want a real nice car when I was a kid, a Porsche 928 to be exact. I loved the headlights.

Then I grew up, and realized how much I hated sitting in traffic. Sitting in horrendous traffic 5 days a week robbed the 2 other days I had to really go driving of any pleasure. They're also money pits, but a necessary evil if you live anywhere other than a major city.

UK BMW 118 Diesel owner throwing their tuppence in. BMW, Audi and VW make the lowest emission and highest fuel economy diesel cars out there. The modern diesel engine also produces a fair amount of grunt. Audi in the past few years have won the Le Mans 24hr race with a diesel engined car. My own BMW is specced at around 60 imperial MPG average. In reality it averages around 52 MPG, and is on a par with most hybrids. A new 320D has recently been released over here that has even better MPG figures and lower emissions. My own car falls into the second lowest annual road tax bracket in the UK, approx $45 per year - although we do pay around $2.30 per litre for diesel.

The new BMW M1 is an interesting car. It's around the same size as the original M3, and weighs in at 1500kgs which is only 300kgs heavier than the original M3. Best of all it is very close performance wise to the current M3 at a good deal less price.

I would recommend a BMW to anyone. Great cars to drive.

First of all, the 2012 5 series is quite sweet....completely redesigned. If I am not mistaken, the 3 series gets done next year, for 2013 I think.

That said, for anyone looking at BMW, I STRONGLY recommend you look at Audi as well....I LOVE my A4-even with a 4 cyl turbo it outperforms some BMW 2.8's...and on my road trip this week (LI-PHL-Hershey-PHL-LI-BOS-LI) I averaged 33.1 mpg!! The S4 is similar but with the 3.0t V6 which is a screamer.

I saw the 2012 A6 at the auto show--waiting for that baby to come in, and it may be time for a new Audi!!

As always, if any of you would like my assistance in buying a car, I am only happy to help. My friend owns Habberstad BMW by the way, and I have connections with Nissan, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti.. of course Mario can vouch for my services :)
    It's the fares, stupid

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post

That said, for anyone looking at BMW, I STRONGLY recommend you look at Audi as well....I LOVE my A4-even with a 4 cyl turbo it outperforms some BMW 2.8's...
    The flat 6 is the deal breaker for me in the end which is why I will probably buy an old F250 diesel pick up or a new Lexus. For straight engines I only do the ones shaped like a V.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Interesting thread. So here's my 2 cents.

When I bought das Audi 2 years ago, the 3 was too small, and the 5 was outdated. The reliability issues with the 5 were related primarily to the old body style-the new one is fresh and very contemporary. I drove the new 5 last week, to compare directly to the 2010 Audi A6. I am having some issues with the A4, and the larger cars are what I wanted in the first place.

As it stands today I am probably going to purchase a 535xi before the end of the week. I will keep you posted.

Tommy, I am VERY well connected with BMW, if you decide to get a CPO 3 series please let me know. Eric Habberstad is a personal friend.
    It's the fares, stupid

Interesting thread. So here's my 2 cents.

When I bought das Audi 2 years ago, the 3 was too small, and the 5 was outdated. The reliability issues with the 5 were related primarily to the old body style-the new one is fresh and very contemporary. I drove the new 5 last week, to compare directly to the 2010 Audi A6. I am having some issues with the A4, and the larger cars are what I wanted in the first place.

As it stands today I am probably going to purchase a 535xi before the end of the week. I will keep you posted.

Tommy, I am VERY well connected with BMW, if you decide to get a CPO 3 series please let me know. Eric Habberstad is a personal friend.
    Will do Art, prob looking at a year out. I like to begin looking 1 year before I buy so I can make sound choice. I'm starting to get turned on to the VW CC, very nice car.

You know, the CC is a very nice car. It shares the same lines as one of the higher end Mercedes 4 door sedans as well as the Hyundai Elantra, very sharp. But I take note of VW and reliability.

Im with tom though, CPO in the distant future.

Well, I will share my Audi story. As you guys can see from my previous post, I love the car. Unfortunately it does not love me. The A4 has a drive by wire throttle, and the transmission programming is such that when you are in a situation such as getting on a highway (think Rt 110 to NS east), and step on the gas, it has a 1-1.5 second lag before there is any response....which is just plain dangerous. The dealer can reprogram the transmission software, but it comes back in a few weeks.

More important, the car has an oil consumption issue, which the service department says is normal for that car, yet the Sales Manager of the dealership says it is excessive. It seems that every time I bring the car for service, they don't fix what I report, and just say no problem found or claim to fix something completely different.

At the end of the day, I don't want to be driving a car I own with an engine burning oil or a rebuilt engine. Therefore, by the weekend, I should be driving a 2011 BMW 535xi...providing the dealer where they located it will let them have it.

I was torn between this and the new A6 from Audi which is sweet, but the dealer service department and Audi in general has put me off of the brand for now.......another issue a year ago in which I had to fight with Audi of America to honor a Tech Service Bulletin on my car...so what does that portend for VW?
    It's the fares, stupid

Well, I will share my Audi story. As you guys can see from my previous post, I love the car. Unfortunately it does not love me. The A4 has a drive by wire throttle, and the transmission programming is such that when you are in a situation such as getting on a highway (think Rt 110 to NS east), and step on the gas, it has a 1-1.5 second lag before there is any response....which is just plain dangerous. The dealer can reprogram the transmission software, but it comes back in a few weeks.

More important, the car has an oil consumption issue, which the service department says is normal for that car, yet the Sales Manager of the dealership says it is excessive. It seems that every time I bring the car for service, they don't fix what I report, and just say no problem found or claim to fix something completely different.

At the end of the day, I don't want to be driving a car I own with an engine burning oil or a rebuilt engine. Therefore, by the weekend, I should be driving a 2011 BMW 535xi...providing the dealer where they located it will let them have it.

I was torn between this and the new A6 from Audi which is sweet, but the dealer service department and Audi in general has put me off of the brand for now.......another issue a year ago in which I had to fight with Audi of America to honor a Tech Service Bulletin on my car...so what does that portend for VW?
    See that's the only doubt about VW that I'm having, and as Mario said they have had issues in the past. There was an article I read the other day about how technology advancements in cars have been driving down reliability ratings as of late.

And you know Tom, you didnt need a study to state the obvious. When cars become overenginneered, small problems become more complex.

Well, folks, it's official. I pick up my BMW Friday afternoon. Sweet deal, acceptable money for my Audi, and a lease I can live with...

Tom, I would proceed with caution on the CC based on my experience, but whatever you decide on, remember I have friends in the business and am happy to help.

Ironic how in one month, reading my old post I went from happy to disillusioned with the Audi--my wife calls me a big fickle baby when it comes to cars...she's probably right
    It's the fares, stupid