Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Used In The Raid?

Aircraft Used In The Raid?

Cant seem to get a definite answer on the aircraft used by the SEALS. CNN said 4 helicopters were used along with Predator drones overhead. In their animation they showed UH-60s with the SEALS rappeling down into the compound.
    On a copter forum some are writing that the SEALS only used MH-53Es, a totally tricked out CH-47 Chinook.
    Others are saying MH-60 PaveHawks were being used.
    And maybe an AH-64 Apache in the mix.
    There is a pic of the tail boom of the downed copter and they cant even agree on that.
    I guess eventually it will all come back.
    Some thrilling and ballsy Tom Clancy stuff this Op was.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i'm 90% certain that the mission was flown by army's SOAR. in that case it was MH-60s and CH-47s. marines would've used MH-53s. the whole concept of SOCOM is to integrate the services so that SEALs are comfortable working with SOAR and Delta guys can handle being on USMC birds etc. just like the question of how many licks it'll take to get to the center of a blowpop.... the world may never know the truth of what went down. all i know is i wish i was flying with the 160th!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    i'm 90% certain that the mission was flown by army's SOAR. in that case it was MH-60s and CH-47s. marines would've used MH-53s. the whole concept of SOCOM is to integrate the services so that SEALs are comfortable working with SOAR and Delta guys can handle being on USMC birds etc. just like the question of how many licks it'll take to get to the center of a blowpop.... the world may never know the truth of what went down. all i know is i wish i was flying with the 160th!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/160th_S...(United_States)

When I was in Iraq the Seals were catching rides in MH-53's, they would stop in to pick up Marine Forced Recon to do joint missions. I thought the USAF retired them for the CV-22 now though?

I just hope they had at least one AWACS high overhead keeping them all under watch from the weirdo Paki Air Forces...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Apparently while not widely reported the Paki's scrambled fighters after the helicopters..... Cant trust them at all....
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Actually it was widely reported. At least it was all over CNN CNN-HN and ABC World News...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82 View Post
    When I was in Iraq the Seals were catching rides in MH-53's, they would stop in to pick up Marine Forced Recon to do joint missions. I thought the USAF retired them for the CV-22 now though?
    Marines are still rockin the 53's.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Identify the tail and you have your answer...

There's been a ton of speculation about that, and other photos that have been published. Just about every helicopter in the US inventory has been suggested, as well as a few that aren't, at least "officially".

That is not a black hawk tail,
    assuming that each of those pannels it is hidding behind is about 4x8 it is a fairly large helicopter. The MH-53 does not have a double "wing" on the boom,
    Last edited by Ari707; 2011-05-03 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding info
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    There's been a ton of speculation about that, and other photos that have been published. Just about every helicopter in the US inventory has been suggested, as well as a few that aren't, at least "officially".
    i was reading that it was a "modified" MH-60. Apparently SOAR have been given $$$$ for "skunk works". Yeah I had to look it up also.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_Works

And I found this interesting link.............http://www.activesensors.com/news/7
    Mmmm, Blue Thunder closer to reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Marines are still rockin the 53's.
    And its my favorite helicopter out there, even got to fly in the jump seat in one from Richmond to New River, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    And I found this interesting link.............http://www.activesensors.com/news/7
    Mmmm, Blue Thunder closer to reality?
    I opened the link, saw "militery" in the first sentence and I stopped reading. haha

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82 View Post
    And its my favorite helicopter out there, even got to fly in the jump seat in one from Richmond to New River, NC
    MH-53s are by far my favorite chopper as well, and one of my fav aircraft overall.

Seems that the "type" of helicopters used is becoming the talk of military aviation buffs around the world. They were just talking about it on CNN and new photos have emerged....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ters-raid.html