Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest on the Shuttle at Intrepid

Latest on the Shuttle at Intrepid

I visited the Intrepid pier last week. I spoke to a supervisor who claims the British Concorde, which is now is at the end of the pier, will be moved forward. The Shuttle Enterprise, will move into its old place. I figured-out why. By placing Concorde in front, it will block the view from 12th Ave. of the Shuttle forcing spectators to visit the Museum in order to get a close-up look. By the way, there's plenty of room for both the Shuttle and Concorde. The Shuttle is basically the size of the old DC-9 except for the higher tail.

I think they should make an enclosed facility to habor the Concorde and Space Shuttle and protect it from the elements.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Well, the Shuttle has to be in an enclosed building - it is part of the requirements for receiving one from NASA.

Intrepid has new plans for Shuttle Enterprise

The NYT is reporting on the Intrepid's new plan for Enterprise:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/ny...rise.html?_r=2

"...
    But five months after the Intrepid was awarded the shuttle Enterprise, museum officials have turned their attention from the end of the newly revamped pier to a parking lot on 12th Avenue, across the cacophonous West Side Highway. They envision converting the lot, which is surrounded by H & H Bagels, a car wash, storage warehouses and a strip club, into a space-themed museum that would serve as the home of the Enterprise and draw as many as one million visitors a year."

"...
    In a report last month that concluded a review of the shuttle awards, NASA’s inspector general said the Enterprise would be moved from the Smithsonian to Kennedy International Airport in April 2012. It would be stored in a “climate-controlled tent” inside a hangar at the airport for about two years, then ferried on a barge to the Intrepid."

Two years? That's lame. Why the hold up? I hope I get to see it in the mean time. Although I bet security will be tight, even for those lucky enough for various access.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Two years? That's lame. Why the hold up?
    Engineering and architectural work, various construction and building permits, then construction. I can easily see it taking two years. It's not like they are just dropping it on the end of a pier out in the open.

I realized that....but I hope it can be visited a little or something while it's at JFK.

But still....April 2012 could possibly call for the spotting event the century in my mind....a space shuttle coming to JFK?!?!

I realized that....but I hope it can be visited a little or something while it's at JFK.

But still....April 2012 could possibly call for the spotting event the century in my mind....a space shuttle coming to JFK?!?!
    I am there!! That would be the spotting trip of a lifetime!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Oh, without a doubt, that's going to be an amazing arrival to shoot!

I hope it can be visited a little or something while it's at JFK.
    I'd be shocked if it were open to the public, even for a brief special event.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

One this is for sure, NASA has been very open about what will happen. It is posted prominently on their shuttle disposal site.

The Event at Dulles is going to be twice as fun as we get to see an Arrival and a Departure. I hear that the mated shuttle and SCA will be stored at a Hangar at JFK until Intrepid is ready for her. If there is any sense of hope, maybe someone at the port would have the ability to turn it into an opportunity to come in and see her and the SCA together.

Are there any shuttles going to any museum with the 747 as a package to be shown as they flew?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

The 747 will be kept here too?! Wow.

Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-09-30 at 09:50 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

The 747 will be kept here too?! Wow.
    From Manny's link:
    Once at JFK, the mated SCA/Enterprise duo will spend a month in storage as the offload equipment at JFK is configured. (The offload equipment at Dulles for Discovery will be flown out a good month in advance of Discovery’s arrival.) After a month in storage, Enterprise will be demated from the SCA and await the readiness of the Intrepid to receive her.
    I suspect once the equipment is set up and the Shuttle removed, the 747 will depart. But yes, it appears they will be here as a unit for a month after arrival.

I hope they do some flyby's around the city again before landing.