Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Top 3 Shuttle Destinations (with Suresh Atapattu 30th Anniversary Photo Gallery)

Post The Top 3 Shuttle Destinations (with Suresh Atapattu 30th Anniversary Photo Gallery)

NYCAviation:
    The Top 3 Space Shuttle Destinations (with 30th Anniversary Photo Gallery)

NASA will announce the final resting place of the four remaining Space Shuttles on Tuesday at 1pm ET. Here are the institutions most likely to win them, along with some amazing photos of Shuttles in action.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

I hope the Intrepid folks get one!

I would also like to announce that this is the first article and gallery from Suresh Atapattu, which many of you will know as one of, if not THE, top Space Shuttle photographer's these days. He will be our eyes on the ground for all things space in the future!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The Daily News is reporting Enterprise will be coming to NYC...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...e_museum_.html

WASHINGTON - The Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum has landed a NASA space shuttle! NASA Administrator Charles Bolden will announce later Tuesday that the prototype Enterprise shuttle has been awarded to the Intrepid, sources said. The decision follows months of aggressive lobbying from Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand.

Announcement is expected around 1pm this afternoon...we shall see.

It's official...

Discovery to Air & Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy Center
    Endeavor to California Science Center, Los Angeles, CA
    Atlantis to Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Enterprise to Intrepid, NYC

As expected
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    As expected
    I'll be the first to admit - when the Intrepid folks said they were putting in a bid for a shuttle, I never expected them to win. Even with the DN story today, it wasn't until they actually made the announcement that I really believed it!

What kind of time frame are we looking at until it gets here?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    where is intrepid gonna park the shuttle again? is the concorde going to be displaced to make room? i seem to remember a drawing of a glass structure on the end of the pier, that still the plan?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Program Coordinator
    I'll be the first to admit - when the Intrepid folks said they were putting in a bid for a shuttle, I never expected them to win
    Me either. I honestly still don't think it should've gone to them. Dayton or Houston should've gotten one ahead of Intrepid. And if not them Chicago or Seattle, or at least somewhere else west of the Appalachians. Three on one coast, and two within a relatively short drive, is too much.

Prototype Enterprise

Strange that now the Intrepid Museum says they want to display the prototype Shuttle Enterprise. I have a statement from last year saying they are "not interested in the Enterprise". How times have changed! I am concerned about where they will put Concorde; although there is plenty of space on that huge pier for both aircraft. Don't forget that the Shuttle is merely the size of the old DC-9 in dimension. I was shocked that Houston got no Shuttle at all. I guess that a prototype is better than nothing and Intrepid is getting it at a discounted price! I guess it will again fly piggy-back aboard a 747 SCA from IAD (just keep it away from the A388).

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Strange that now the Intrepid Museum says they want to display the prototype Shuttle Enterprise. I have a statement from last year saying they are "not interested in the Enterprise". How times have changed! I am concerned about where they will put Concorde; although there is plenty of space on that huge pier for both aircraft. Don't forget that the Shuttle is merely the size of the old DC-9 in dimension. I was shocked that Houston got no Shuttle at all. I guess that a prototype is better than nothing and Intrepid is getting it at a discounted price! I guess it will again fly piggy-back aboard a 747 SCA from IAD (just keep it away from the A388).
    Thats a great question. I wonder if it is still able to handle the stresses of a flight (even just a piggy back ride)? If I had to guess, I would say it cant handle that stress, and will be trucked / shipped to the pier, and then lifted via crane.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    Thats a great question. I wonder if it is still able to handle the stresses of a flight (even just a piggy back ride)? If I had to guess, I would say it cant handle that stress, and will be trucked / shipped to the pier, and then lifted via crane.
    I believe there was a study done last year on Enterprise that it was certified to to fly atop a 747.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Thats a great question. I wonder if it is still able to handle the stresses of a flight (even just a piggy back ride)? If I had to guess, I would say it cant handle that stress, and will be trucked / shipped to the pier, and then lifted via crane
    My 2¢ says they would use a barge from Maryland to NYC. The real question is how they get it from IAD to the docks, so piggyback to JFK might not be totally ruled out??

Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    My 2¢ says they would use a barge from Maryland to NYC. The real question is how they get it from IAD to the docks, so piggyback to JFK might not be totally ruled out??
    I am 98% sure that it will be flown up from washington and we will all be there to see it. The Enterprise has been certified to fly atop the 747 from several articles I have read.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture