Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should the Cradle fall?

Quote Originally Posted by adscram14 View Post
    I've been to the Cradle on several occasions, and it has never impressed me. They need to do a serious revamp of their offerings, and like the others have said, the location is subpar. Besides Roosevelt Field, why else would one need to go to Garden City? It's a long trip from CT/NJ and even NYC.
    Maybe some sort of partnership with Intrepid?
    There are 2.8 million people living on Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk) plus many more in Queens. I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone travel from CT just to see the Cradle if you aren't an aviation buff, but there are plenty of people for whom it is an easy trip - much more convenient that getting to the Intrepid from eastern Long Island. And I don't see any benefit to a partnership with the Intrepid - they have enough of their own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    They had a looping display of radar traffic that must be from the late 90s, when they could just show Planefinder. Also had an ancient recording of ATC, when they could just play LiveATC.
    How many people, especially kids, are going to know the difference. And that is if they would even be able to use those services. I couldn't find anything on Planefinder's site, but at LiveATC, the Terms of Use specify "for personal non-commercial purposes only." When I was there a few months back, I was wondering if it was a current ATC broadcast, until I heard the controller give instructions to a TWA flight - that brought a smile to my face...gone but not forgotten.

I was there on Saturday, with some refugees of the rain, and enjoyed it as much as ever. They had a few new exhibits, and I heard from a reliable source that they will be expanding the building to allow more of the collection to be displayed. It's an excellent facility, with some historically significant items on display.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    A museum does not have to look and feel old as well. Their displays, such as what i mentioned above, are not supposed to be old. The ride that they advertize, does not have to be old and run of 35mm film. A museums pieces can be old, but the museum itself should not be.
    I guess you've never been to the American Airpower Museum...
    Last edited by moose135; 2013-05-29 at 12:20 AM.

At least the cradle has some organizationa nd a little history. Intrepid has nothing more than planes that sit there, in no order of year or country of origin, with just a sign that says what it is. There's no EXPERIENCE. You can jsut wander through, read signs, and you're done in 30 minutes. For $48 per person.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    At least the cradle has some organizationa nd a little history. Intrepid has nothing more than planes that sit there, in no order of year or country of origin, with just a sign that says what it is. There's no EXPERIENCE. You can jsut wander through, read signs, and you're done in 30 minutes. For $48 per person.
    The one thing that really annoys me about the Intrepid is that you now have to pay extra to visit the Concorde. But the Cradle of Aviation really needs better advertising. The American Airpower Museum is packed with crowds for Memorial Day weekend so obviously people know about the events taking place.

Even if there are plans in place to replace Nassau Coliseum, wouldn't they run into the same political opposition that killed the previous project ?
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    The American Airpower Museum is packed with crowds for Memorial Day weekend so obviously people know about the events taking place.
    It also helps that everything flying in the air show parks right outside the AAM.

Took my niece two weeks ago. A wonderful facility. Unfortunately the Blue Angel ride was out of commission. My niece was looking forward to that. My only complaint (if I can call it that) was accidentally finding the F14 tucked away with the Firefighter museum.

My only complaint (if I can call it that) was accidentally finding the F14 tucked away with the Firefighter museum.
    That's actually the "annex" of the Cradle. They didn't have room for the F-14 and A-10 in the main section of the museum, and displayed them in that other room. The fire museum was added a number of years later.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I remember visiting the "museum" when it was a handful of airplanes in a dark, dusty hangar. What they have created is nothing short of magnificent. I do wish more people were aware of this gem we have in our backyard.

The IMAX thing may be a license issue about the name - their web page is still ".../imax" but they refer to the "Giant Screen Dome Theater". They still have a full schedule of movies throughout April. And this weekend, April 16 & 17, they are holding a celebration for the Centennial of Naval Aviation. I haven't been to the Cradle in a while, maybe I'll stop in this weekend.
    I remember it from the old two dusty hangar days. In fact that was when I first fell in love with aviation. Went with my grandad when I was about 7. Been obsessed with aviation ever since.

Jamaica, New York, United States, 111046035586548, Jamaica, New York
    And the sad fact is that I believe this museum at its current site is only 11 y/o. I believe it has had $$ problems from the get go. I don't know its current financial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbey View Post
    And the sad fact is that I believe this museum at its current site is only 11 y/o. I believe it has had $$ problems from the get go. I don't know its current financial situation.
    It's been 11 years?! Wow, time flies!

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    It's been 11 years?! Wow, time flies!
    I think the problem is that the AAM is doing a better job of attracting visitors than the Cradle. It's just a little bit farther away and is located on an active airport and has airshows and special events that attract large crowds. They obviously do a better job advertising than the Cradle. If people are going to visit 1 aviation museum its going to be the AAM. You would think that having an IMAX theater and hosting special events would attract large crowds but apparently not. I remember one day visiting the classic car show held in the museum parking lot. There were close to a hundred people walking around looking at the cars but inside the museum there must have been only a dozen people...

AAM does a good job promoting itself on FB too.

I stopped by the museum the other day to renew my membership and the woman at the counter told me that prices are being jacked up again.

Apparently membership prices are being doubled which is not a good sign. She didn't know when the increases will take effect but if anyone wants to take out a basic $25 membership, now would be a good time. It was also annoying that the large X ride theater was out of service as well as many coin operated arcade flight sims.

Membership prices have now doubled to $50 per person. What a stupid policy.....

https://www.cradleofaviation.org/sup...embership.html

It always sucks when you see prices go up, but that $50 for MEMBERSHIP, which gives you nonstop admission on a pile of perks and benefits....whereas the Intrepid charges $2 less than that for one day at their unorganized tourist trap.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].