Thread: Airshow Purchases

Airshow Purchases

Ok, I got my 7D and my 70-300VC for airshow this year, now I need a hat! Last year Tommy saved the day with his hat. It was great and I was not burnt. It is a little funny looking but the best hat for hot conditions. I decided to buy a hat for this year and found the same type of hat. The U.S. Army uses it for hot sunny conditions and it is the best hat I have seen from all the reviews. I concur and I am making the purchase for the low price of $10!!!!

Khaki Boonie Hats

The GI Khaki Green Boonie Hat is made by the current military manufacturer. These hats are not made in China. The 100% Cotton Rip-stop Khaki boonie hat is sewn to military specification MIL-H-44105B. The 100% Cotton Rip-stop fabric keeps your head cool when the weather is hot. This Khaki tan sun hat/boonie hat has side vents, branch loops and a chin strap. The khaki military floppy hat as some call it, is a great hat to keep the sun off the ears, face and back of the neck. The Khaki Tan boonie hat is available in sizes: S-7, M-7 1/8, M-7 1/4, L- 7 1/2, XL- 7 ¾. See the size chart for conversions from inches. Features
    • 100% Cotton
    • Adjustable Chin Strap
    • Screened Side Vents
    • Webbing Band

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=15051

More styles here
    http://www.armysurplusworld.com/disp...tID=171&page=1

Info that is sooo true
    http://troutunderground.com/2010/06/...hat-you-think/

What hat do you like best
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-04-08 at 03:34 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I have one of these but it comes with an extra sheet of fabric that covers your neck so that it doesn't get burned. Works like a charm. Got at my little brothers BMT Graduation

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    It is a little funny looking
    I believe the word you are looking for is "goofy"...

Nice lens you have there...

Watch it Moose, Tommy is going to kick your a$$ for making fun of his hat!!

I just purchased a "FUNNY" hat.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

How about the "Urban Sombrero?"

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

But seriously, I have two of those boonie hats, one from Sports Authority and one from Cabellas and both are inexpensive, keep you cool and protect the head, ears and neck from the sun. Plus the brim naturally moves out the way when you raise your camera to take a shot and then naturally goes back into position.

My wife does nothing but laugh when I wear them but what the heck we've been married long enough.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Chuck Aaron showing me "Major FOD Dude" he found walking back to the building from his helicopter.

Thanks to Fred's picture, you can see I had mine last year. Saved my ears from melting off my head.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I made the mistake last year of doing the whole air show week without a cover on. By Sunday afternoon, the burn had gotten to be too much on my then shaven head and I had to go home early. After a night spent vomiting, I woke up the next morning to discover my head had gotten swollen and was now shaped more like a gelatinous light bulb. Consider it a lesson learned.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

NLovis
    My head isnt a big burn concern. My shoulders and neck are..... they burn suer easily..... a shirt works but then I lose out on a nice tan. Ive found reapplying sunscrean works well. I didnt burn last year Though I do have a hat handy just in case usually. I find a regular baseball cap works for me.

A good peice of eye candy and a few bottles of water usually do it for me. I don't burn however nearly had a heart attack in 2009 as some might remember. That was a joyous occasion.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Sunscreen anyone? Just sayin'...

I've gotten a sunburn one time on my face that actually turned into sun poisoning... it was rather painful.

received my hat yesterday...I am all ready now!