Thread: FRG AAM to move....hangar and all??

FRG AAM to move....hangar and all??

Today (3/21) newsday.com is reporting that local senators and congressmen have 'saved' the AAM's hangar and it will be moved!? Unfortunately I am not a subscriber and only get a preview. I know Derf and others have an in with the AAM, maybe they can elaborate? Or anyone here a subscriber and can post the entire content?

I now there was a fight to preserve the hangar, as the current FAA plan to extend Rwy 19 would have the NFI and AAM hangar's torn down as they are in the safety zone. But I thought this would involve modifying the plan, or building a new hangar.

This article seems to imply that the entire ww2 era hangar will be moved!

I attended the announcement this morning. Thanks to work by Senator Schumer and Congressman Israel, among others, the museum will be eligible for FAA funding to relocate on the field. Schumer and Israel were able to persuade the FAA to agree to allow Airport Improvement Program money - which was available to remove the structure from the runway safe zone - to be used in relocating the museum.

There are a few proposals being talked about, and much depends on environmental impact studies and financial considerations. One proposal is to construct a new building south of the SheltAir hangar, another is to physically move the museum's hangar to that location. There hasn't been a final determination on what will happen, but in any case, the museum will continue to operate, and will move to a new site at FRG. Just what that entails is still "up in the air".

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    wow!! i remember when this was first talked about, close to 10 yrs ago i think. back then the plan consisted of moving the building to the area between the approach ends of rwys 1 and 32. the little A ramp doesn't seem like enough room to build a museum on. i hope that the original building is saved, i've walked around most of it and maybe it's just my nostalgia but i think that the museum ought to be in an older stone hangar versus some new steel construction.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

The area between Rwy 1 and 32 IMHO is a great spot for the museum, easy access from New Highway and literally right off the S State. If you look at old photos of FRG, you will see that area was actually a housing development with residents 50-60 years ago. When the runways were extended they were all bought out and the houses demolished. The streets/grid are still in place.

I really don't think they will actually move the hangar, but would love it if they could. I agree that the old hangar gives the place ambience, and the fact that it was literally the actual place the 47's were built/tested in gives you a connection to the past. Hangar #2 (NFI) is actually older and dates to 1928. Examples of this early aviation architecture are rapidly disappearing and I wish they'd be saved, both of them.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    How can you make that runway bigger? I don't see that much room from the end of it now and Conklin. It's 150' wide no? Where are you going to put it south of Sheltair? Does this mean getting rid of Alpha where those guys store their aircraft? This makes little sense to me.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

The runway isn't going to get any longer or wider. Ultimately, it will be shifted north, to increase the overrun area on the south end near Rt. 109, while still offering adequate overrun on the Conlkin Street end. They will also be installing an EMAS system on Rwy 14/32, on the Rt. 110 end, since they do not have sufficient room for an extended overrun area. The FAA also requires a larger safe area around the runway, and the museum and NFI hangars fall within this new zone. And yes, the plan is to move the museum south of SheltAir's ramp. I haven't seen a current diagram of where everything would fall, but yes, it probably means moving that parking area elsewhere on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The runway isn't going to get any longer or wider. Ultimately, it will be shifted north, to increase the overrun area on the south end near Rt. 109, while still offering adequate overrun on the Conlkin Street end. They will also be installing an EMAS system on Rwy 14/32, on the Rt. 110 end, since they do not have sufficient room for an extended overrun area. The FAA also requires a larger safe area around the runway, and the museum and NFI hangars fall within this new zone. And yes, the plan is to move the museum south of SheltAir's ramp. I haven't seen a current diagram of where everything would fall, but yes, it probably means moving that parking area elsewhere on the field.
    John is there a time line when this has to be done?