Thread: Flights from Tokyo Trigger Radiation Alarms in Chicago and Dallas

Post Flights from Tokyo Trigger Radiation Alarms in Chicago and Dallas

NYCAviation:
    Flights from Tokyo Trigger Radiation Alarms in Chicago and Dallas

Two flights from Tokyo which landed in Chicago and Dallas triggered radiation alarms at those airports on Wednesday
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Damn that is so sad... Tokyo? They are like 40 miles away or more no? Wow, if levels that low will trigger alarms, I can;t wait to see what happens when planes from Sendai come in
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Planes will come in from Sendai??? I thought the airport was hit badly by the tsunami....
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Its nice to know we have these alarms in place, and that they are working. I just wish it didnt take an event like this to make us aware of the alarms working status.

The before and after shots from Google Earth shows the runway almost intact with only debris and mud near the terminal area. It may be an easier cleanup job than not.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Nobody that is not military would fly in there...your not going to irradiate a 757 and crew.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I am not an oncologist nor a radiologist with knowledge of what amount of radiation would pose a significant threat to human life, but I would imagine those machines are tuned to pick up even the smallest amounts of rads(or roentgens, or milliseverts or whatever unit of measurement being used).

These trace amounts would be far from what would be considered harmful. Sure any amount is harmful, and no I wouldn't want anything to do with those hot bags (I had 2 CT scans last year and aim to not have any more for a long time), but I think the folks in real danger are the ones trying to contain the situation over there.

And of course, there had to be the usual stupidity over here of a rush on iodine pills, and in some of the worst in poor taste seen this side of the year 2000, so-called "news" broadcasts actually showing godzilla footage. Manny I think you're right, if you have an inside view of this stuff you need to be using it. CNN is pretty much worthless at this point.