Thread: LIRR spotting

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

LIRR spotting

I have not take a single photo on the LIRR since I left in the 90s and the old diesels were taken away. Since having kids heavily into Thomas, I've been around recently. Enjoy a mixed batch of pics.

There is a photo of my mother standing in front of this spot, in the 70s, with the old guard at the gate and the barricade. And now a high tech fence and old ticket booth remain. and about that booth...

Is that the old Ticket booth that I worked in a few times at LIC?

Some old LIRR coaches at work in Phillipsburg, NJ

Taken to show the rail conditions.

Shoving that consist east.

The Elephants rode in here. While we didnt see them in their entirety, but we did smell them in their entirety.

One of them did put the end of its trunk up against the window to wave, cute.

These things are CLEAN! In fact the entire train was very clean.

a portrait of my son and I

and finally, who did I run into while catching the Circus train? None other than this guy. Guess who?! (no, not moose!)

And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Chris H on the right?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I always think of LIRR as the nasty nuisance waking me up during morning rush hours, as it literally runs by my window. And those rails! I see that my MTA money isn't going there... Great shots, however!

Very nice shots. Where were the abandoned switches and overpass located?

Yeah, CHris H! I just ran into him. Last time I was him was that SUperbowl Sunday in the AM when we went spotting and Highheels was pregnant with our first!

The rails are right off Zeckendorf Blvd near Mitchell Field. I love old abandoned ROWS. Only thing better are rails with strong diesels on them :)
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Really cool shots! Where were these pictures taken? Freight train photography is another thing I have been wanting to do since I got my camera.
    Mat Czwakiel

@speedgal, the abandoned overpass can be seen clearly just on the side of the road of the exit ramp that takes traffic north on the Meadowbrook.

In fact, if you know the building that is now MAGNACARE, but used to be 1800Flowers building, its right on front of that. In that photo, the meadowbrook parkway is barely visible on the left of the image and the magnacare building is to the right.

That freight is only once a year on Long Island. There is more action in PA and upstate NY though. Chris H has videos.

Here is hte video of this train we caught but look at his other videos taken elsewhere on his youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xHHG0_C9e8

@mirrodie, I'm hoping to possibly have a chance to get some good shots of some trains going through the mountains when I'm out in Reno this summer. I believe there are some active tracks near Lake Tahoe which I am also going to visit. I know there is an old steam train that runs many trips daily between Silver City NV and Carson City. I'm going to try and get some good shots of that if I can find a road that travels near the tracks.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net