Thread: New Editing Techniques, Put to Work! Please Critique!`

New Editing Techniques, Put to Work! Please Critique!`

Hi, guys.

I've been stepping outside my comfort zone and doing some editing on portraiture, as I'm hoping to invest much more time in wedding and event work, where these skills are vital. I've bought and acquired a lot of literature, and spent much of this weekend applying what I've learned. To that end, here are my first few edits. I'd love everyone's feedback and constructive criticisms!!

I've included the original straight-out-of-camera, and my final edit (done using LR3 and PS Elements 9).

Groom, at a recent wedding. Vignette and skin softening applied.

My girlfriend at a friend's house. Vignette and color correction applied.

My friend Matt at the Intrepid. Vignette applied.

Bride at a recent wedding. Skin softening, vignette, and cloning (on dress) applied.

Ana Ivanovic practicing at last year's US Open. Background blur and vignette applied to bring focus onto the player.

My girlfriend at Celtic Fest in Bethlehem, PA last year. B&W conversion and skin softening applied.

Enjoy!!

TIS
    Last edited by ANITIX87; 2011-03-14 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Created embedded images, rather than links.
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Antonis, all look great to me.. but I will be honest, I do not see anything wrong with the originals either

ONLY PROBLEM I see is the subject matter is no large metal objects moving slowly while defying gravity.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Antonis, all look great to me.. but I will be honest, I do not see anything wrong with the originals either

ONLY PROBLEM I see is the subject matter is no large metal objects moving slowly while defying gravity.
    Thanks, Manny! Appreciate your comments, as always. As for the lack of planes, I realize it's blasphemy on this website. (I was hoping Phil would let it go, hahaha.)

I'm glad I'm learning how to do actual photography a lot more effectively. While my aviation stuff has come a long way, my "traditional" work has always left me wanting more.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Nice work Antonis, as Manny said already, everything looks great !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

BTW, if you want better looking vignettes, get a really old cheap lens designed for a crop sensor and use it on a Full Frame dSLR... you'd love the natural vignetting :-)

Also, for pure fun, invest in a LensBaby... man that little sucker will keep you awake for hours, much more so than a Fisheye...

HEar that Fred? You now need a LensBaby to augment your Fisheye!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS