Thread: Up-Close Planespotting In St. Maarten (a.k.a, Riding The Fence)

Up-Close Planespotting In St. Maarten (a.k.a, Riding The Fence)

Be sure to watch to the end.

This is a must do once in your life for all spotters. The one thing these people are crazy standing on that rail. I have done this a few times and standing on the rail is brave.

If I had to put up with that music all day long I'd go mad! LOL. I think I'll be spotting with my earplugs on!

I have got to ride a 747! It must be insane.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Unless you are physically at Sunset Beach Bar, you wont hear any music. Like I tell everyone bar on the other side of the beach is much better, less crowded, and 1/3 the price.

SXM - Which Bar For Spotting!

Quote Originally Posted by LIMatt View Post
    Unless you are physically at Sunset Beach Bar, you wont hear any music. Like I tell everyone bar on the other side of the beach is much better, less crowded, and 1/3 the price.
    The time of day determines which bar is better. You chose the one that doesn't have the aircraft backlit.

Eh, no car thrown into the water, no people in horizontal position Could have been worse (and some people should definitely choose more suitable swimsuits...)

Btw, for having been there 7 times, you WILL get arrested if you play that stupid, and are at the wrong place the wrong time. And I do NOT recommend jail time on the Dutch side of SXM...

Wait, so you'll get arrested if you stand on the gate? Under what charge? I would think getting sandblasted by takeoff thrust would be enough of a punishment for being ignorant enough to stand there.

I don't know the law of the Netherlands Antilles by heart but I know it has happened. You want to keep a low profile on the Dutch side.

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    I don't know the law of the Netherlands Antilles by heart but I know it has happened. You want to keep a low profile on the Dutch side.
    I guess you must have had a bad experience with the police or have heard a horror story? I can tell you that the police on the Dutch side are extremely laissez-faire and almost nonexistent between Maho and Cupecoy because of the proximity to the French border. I did have one encounter with Dutch Side police while taking pics of the sunset on the Cupecoy Beach cliffs while they were making rounds and they were really friendly. From what I understand and have witnessed first hand police presence on the Dutch side is even more extinct due to St. Maarten breaking away from the Netherlands Antillies. Not that crime is rampant on the island and you need to don't really need to watch your back everywhere because the island is certainly safe and way safer than most Caribbean islands.

There are "Sheriffs" on the island but these are nothing more than hired security that look like actual police and are nothing more than mall cop.

The Gendarmerie on the French side of the island is very official and has a strong presence. Almost night and day in comparison.

Being locked up anywhere can't be fun and being there is no embassy there I can imagine if you did have a legal brush there it would be a while before it would be cleared up.

Don't be afraid. SXM is great, safe, and filled with great people. Like travelling anywhere abroad use your head and think twice before doing anything that might be labeled as stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMatt View Post
    Being locked up anywhere can't be fun and being there is no embassy there I can imagine if you did have a legal brush there it would be a while before it would be cleared up.
    That's pretty much what I meant. If you get in trouble, you're doomed. Of course, taking pics and enjoying the island is obviously encouraged and it's not like you feel pressure on your back all day long. I'm just saying, and like you appropriately said, be on the lookout for stuff that you may not think is illegal because dealing with legal issues over there can be a nightmare.

In regards to the general safety of the island, I have to disagree though. I wouldn't call SXM one of the safest islands in the Caribbean (although I admit having very little knowledge about the surrounding islands). I am in touch with people over there on a daily basis, and they certainly don't like what they're seeing. Just 2 weeks ago, a guy was dumped in Maho with his eyes poked out... Extreme example but that gives you an idea. And come on, everybody knows that you can't walk down Rue St-James in Marigot without risking to come home wallet-less, even though it is the main street between the Marina and Bellevue.