Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The mounds - 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Fred, I am a HAM ( N2MAV ) and have every right to have a HAM Radio installed in my car :-) ... never heard of NY State making it illegal. Just look at my plates for proof. Imagine the contradiction if they sold Amateur Radio Plates but you were not allowed to use a ham radio in your car?
    KB2VVT here...tho I think I let my license lapse... It is not illegal... it is only illegal to listen to police frequencies with a car mounted unit.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Which was a direct result of the previous encounter which happened WHEN SCHOOL WAS IN SESSION
    So how does your suggestion of waiting until after 3pm when school is out any different???

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    So how does your suggestion of waiting until after 3pm when school is out any different???
    Actually my initial suggestion was to not visit the mounds for a few days. At this point the School and or NYPD will be keeping an eye out but visiting during school will probably only serve to guarantee another visit from law enforcement. If someone did decide to go to the mounds simply waiting for school to be out would have given them a better chance at avoiding this.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Actually my initial suggestion was to not visit the mounds for a few days. At this point the School and or NYPD will be keeping an eye out but visiting during school will probably only serve to guarantee another visit from law enforcement. If someone did decide to go to the mounds simply waiting for school to be out would have given them a better chance at avoiding this.
    Well, being that I had come down a week after the other confrontation, and being on a weekend, I did not expect to be bothered since school would not be in session. Had this been a weekday, I would not have gone there in the morning. I simply went there since they were on the 22s and I wanted a place where I could stay in my truck and take pics while it was still lightly raining.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

So from everyones replies I take it that the PD's down in the states dont use digital frequencies. Here in my city they switched to digital frequencies quite some time ago so people cant monitor police activity. All in all, I dont care to listen into the police, all I care about is that plane on finals for RWY XX and catching its touchdown.

I think the two incidents are completely unrelated and will not have any joint and additional NYPD effect or visibility. One was School Safety that happened to see it, and the other was a random call that rare, unknowing NYPD officers came to supposedly because of a principal call. If people behave just like Manny suggested, we'll be fine.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

'Captain America', that's friggin hilarious, sums it up exactly

Quote Originally Posted by mattdueck View Post
    So from everyones replies I take it that the PD's down in the states dont use digital frequencies. Here in my city they switched to digital frequencies quite some time ago so people cant monitor police activity. All in all, I dont care to listen into the police, all I care about is that plane on finals for RWY XX and catching its touchdown.
    I do most of my scanning/listening from home of the FD and PD, which is on Long Island. Suffolk County is digital, trunked and whatsmore recently they rebanded the Motorola units. I had to upgrade my trusty Pro-97 this Xmas to the latest incarnation (looks the same though) which supports the rebanding. Nassau County however just recently completed the transition to the new Encrypted system. So effectively no more NCPD scanning. I can't speak for NYPD as I'm out of range.

If I do take my scanner on the road it's to an airshow or FRG and then I only have time to listen to the airband anyway.

That's what I would say to anyone challenging me about my scanner, that it doesn't have the ability to pick up the 'new' digital frequencies, only the planes, end of conversation

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Nassau County however just recently completed the transition to the new Encrypted system. So effectively no more NCPD scanning. I can't speak for NYPD as I'm out of range.
    I'm still picking up all the NCPD frequencies on my scanner (BC72XLT). Listening right now. And I still pick up the SCPD 2pct on the 154.845 freq and their Countywide (basically their Special Ops, Sheriffs, Parks units) on 155.685.
    If the original incident happened on a Saturday why were School Safety officers there? Do they work on non-school days?
    And when I carry my scanner in the car when out by myself I keep in between seats and on low if listening. When outside I always have my Ipod headphones on and the scanner safely
    tucked away in a jacket or in the summertime under an untucked shirt. Dont have to worry about being questioned AND even more important its easier to hear over the outside noise of
    aircraft, cars, annoying people !!!

I was kind of surprised to read about school safety being there on a Saturday. School safety generally only work during school or school event hours when a facility is open. As an aside I know they are Peace Officers as defined by the NYS Crimminal Procedure Law, but I wonder what their powers of arrest are and I am sure they are limited to "persuant to their special duties."

Nassau PD recently moved to their new communications center in New Cassel and are slowly making the transition to digital encryption. Until everything is changed over they are simulcasting on the old system.
    Last edited by fk6065; 2011-03-14 at 01:22 PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

I was even harrassed by Parks Dept. workers at Coney Island Pier for taking photos there. He claimed that I needed a permit and threatened to confiscate my camera. I wrote a nice letter to the Parks Dept. Commissioner and got a nice letter apologizing and saying I could take photos. After that, I was no longer harrassed. Plane spotting is another matter. Since 9-11, we look suspicious when we stay in 1 location for more than just a few minutes so they tell us to leave. I gave up spotting for that reason. Too much aggravation worrying about getting harrassed. In the "golden age of spotting" in the 80's and 90's I perched on the hill by Rockaway Blvd for 8 hours, took hundreds of photos and the only annoyance were the mosquitoes and finding a taxi since I had no car. These are the memories they can't take away from me. Sad to hear that new spotters cannot enjoy the hobby.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I was even harrassed by Parks Dept. workers at Coney Island Pier for taking photos there. He claimed that I needed a permit and threatened to confiscate my camera. I wrote a nice letter to the Parks Dept. Commissioner and got a nice letter apologizing and saying I could take photos. After that, I was no longer harrassed. Plane spotting is another matter. Since 9-11, we look suspicious when we stay in 1 location for more than just a few minutes so they tell us to leave. I gave up spotting for that reason. Too much aggravation worrying about getting harrassed. In the "golden age of spotting" in the 80's and 90's I perched on the hill by Rockaway Blvd for 8 hours, took hundreds of photos and the only annoyance were the mosquitoes and finding a taxi since I had no car. These are the memories they can't take away from me. Sad to hear that new spotters cannot enjoy the hobby.

That parks dept trick was tried at Bayswater too. It's old. Again the situation at the mounds is new and unique because so many spotters have used it in winter and morning hours which nobody has never really done. The School took notice and a couple of officers have decided to take the path of least resistence instead of checking ID and finding out what is going on. Hopefully this will subside once the prime shooting months and late day hours come since the school will not be in session. At some point someone will have to stand their ground which has even happened in the summer when civilians with the soccer group have questioned (sometimes forcefully) spotters on the mounds. Unfortunately it's a nuisance that may never totally subside as a result of those planes hitting the WTC.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    That's pretty lame, but you avoided confrontation at least. School Safety cops on a serious power trip....lame. That is NOT school property.
    Thats for sure, as an example last summer I had the pleasure of having one tailgating me as apparently the morning rush hour traffic wasnt moving fast enough. He apparently thought his siren was going to make me and the traffic move faster, when it didn't he managed to pulled up next to me to yell... very lame