Thread: Boeing and FedEx eye 767-400ER freighter launch

Boeing and FedEx eye 767-400ER freighter launch

Good to see the old girl 767 has some commercial interest. Also, Boeing is expecting a formal launch for the 777BCF this year.

Boeing and FedEx Express are closely examining developing a new build freighter based on the 767-400ER, offering a production bridge to the recently awarded US Air Force KC-46A refuelling tanker...
    http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...er-launch.html

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    interesting but is this really practical with the 772 freighter as popular as it is?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

interesting but is this really practical with the 772 freighter as popular as it is?
    Couple things pop to mind with why go with the 764F. First would be cost, might be cheaper than the 772 (especially as launch customer with discounts). Second is the size of the 777 queue compared to the 767 queue, even with flight testing that might be needed.

Would be cool to see the FedEx scheme on a 767 too!

-Tad

I sure hope this happens hate to see the 767 go away

Its not going anywhere for a while thanks to the Tanker contract, this will just help keep it going till then and will have give some life to the -400 which didn't sell very many
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I'm going to bet that this will not happen, but will be a bargaining tool or some sort to influence FedEx A330 buys.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari707 View Post
    Its not going anywhere for a while thanks to the Tanker contract, this will just help keep it going till then and will have give some life to the -400 which didn't sell very many
    my understanding is that the -400 was designed and built as an L1011 replacement, which is why only COA and DAL picked them up. personally i love the airplane and would love to see it as a freighter. also, i think the KC-46 would have been cooler with the wing off the -400 too!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Based on current 767 orders, there will be a couple years of gap between production of the last commercial 76 and the first KC-46, which means they'll have to shut everything down, lay people off and retrain them again when they come back, which isn't cheap...they'd rather keep the assembly line going without stopping. Add that to the likely-healthy profit margin built in to the KC-46 and they can probably sell 764Fs at a bargain basement price and with minimal wait time for customers.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9