Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to photography

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    I know this will run, to some degree, contrary to much of the above advice, but there is no need to shoot any higher than f/9 unless you want to - especially when shooting into the sky. If you're shooting side on's you can easily go down to f/4 or even f/2.8 (what do you need the depth of a higher stop for - especially when mixed with compression from a zoom lens?). Quarter angles can easily do f/4 & f/5.6 and still maintain sharpness across the entire aircraft. The only time I shoot above f/7.1 anymore is if I'm panning or the subject is super large or close and has a lot of depth. Otherwise, you're bumping up your ISO or limiting your shutter speed needlessly.

So I guess a simpler way of putting it - I recommend starting your aperture settings at f/7.1 and lower/faster...especially in low-light / cloudy situations where you need shutter speed!
    True I use F7.1 all the time but wouldn't go down to F2.8 unless like you said the light was crap. F2.8 in bright sun would mean a faster shutter and I think the shot tends to look a little grainy with super faster speeds but your right no need to ever go over F8 unless your trying the ultra low shutter speed pan.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

The range is there for a reason: WHEN you need it... if you don;t need it, my philosophy is to stick with the sweet spots. On my older D2Xs, the damn thing is super sensitive to high shutter speeds. It just sucks when you raise the shutter above 1/2000th sec. But at 1/500th and below it sings... so I dial it to ISO/Whatever and f/6.3 to f/9 (usually f/8 summer sunny, f/7.1 weak winter sun) for normal shooting.

My D3 can handle higher shutter speeds much better so I don't mind throwing her around more. My other rule is go as low as your lens will allow before going up on the ISO... unless it is full daylight and you want a higher shutter with a tight aperture and then you're forced to use a higher ISO. Higher ISOs in full sunlight are not bad at all... typically there are enough photons in the air to fill in the shadows and keep noise to a minimum.

After aperture is maxed open, I either use a monopod/tripod (which should be used always but sometimes you just can;t or don't feel like it) and then finally use up the ISO... Sensitivity for me is the last to go. Shutter speeds are usually dictated by the subject and what you are trying to accomplish. Aperture and Sensitivity are usually more controllable regardless of the shooting situation than shutter speed is.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS