Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JFK - The Mounds 2/28/11

Here are my images. Firstly, we were by the mounds waiting. Then about 1300 a NYPD cruiser (with two young POs in my view) pulls up and asks what are you doing? Duh........taking pictures of planes (not my exact words). It's our hobby and we're waiting for an inaugural flight today, which is due in soon. The were polite, and asked us to leave because the school principal called in. He didn't even want to see our ID's, etc. I even stated that this is a public street and didn't want to hear it. Then he mentions "911", oh boy (by the way a high school friend of mine died in one of the towers) ....... I did not want to get in a pissing match, and didn't want to miss the Lufthansa, so we left. The NYPD cruiser parked by the school and waited till we left (and probably stayed there). I was so tempted to go back to speak to the principal to inform him/her and educate the individual about aviation photography, spotting, etc. Fortunately for us as were driving hunting for a location to shoot the Lufthansa A380, when they switched runways from the 22s to 31s. We made a bee line for Inwood. Unfortunately the light was ugly.

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

JFK - The Mounds 2/28/11

Too bad about the cops. Were you guys in the street or at the mounds themselves? Is the mounds School property?

911? Do they know that on 911 the people who committed the most insane crime against the US actually were passengers? Not photographers? That they actually PILOTED the airplanes into buildings? That is just plain ignorant. I don;t mind someone telling me, GET OUT OF HERE BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT WELCOME... fine.. but to make ignorant statements is just plain silly. Fine education our kids are getting. That is no worse than saying we all personally hate all Muslims which is so much not true

Well, glad it turned out OK in the end... we DO NOT WANT ANYONE ARRESTED people... evr for any reason... don;t get arrested, especially for a dumb move! Nice idea to just move. There is a park actually alongside Brookville where it is just underneath the flight path so may be OK for a do or die situation to "get the shot"

I have a few alternate spots scouted out for such an occasion
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Guys please if the police ask you to leave just do it. We usually only shoot there in summer when the school is not an issue but we don't need to jeopardize a prime spot because of a plane coming in the rain do we?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick, I think it worked out just like that so no worries... I am not one to confront the cops... not looking to become another Rodney King so I would have left immediately as well. But it would be good to know if the spot belongs to the city as a park or is it part of the school grounds, is it part of JFK given that part of the landing system is visible from the mound? Does it belong to the AMB Logistics center? I am always apprehensive about going over the fence and never had an issue with the PD before ... just general questions that may be obvious to the veterans but totally unknown to newbies like me

As for the need to shoot a plane in the rain at all costs, I guess you have your addiction under control... I sure am not and feel far from controlling it. Today it took a lot of power to stay in the office!

Thanks
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Nick, I think it worked out just like that so no worries..
    Actually we should be really worried. I don't mean to preach here but think about the big picture and others. Nobody has really shot at the mounds in winter because the light sucks, now if you want to take nose shots there I am all for it but now you have gotten the attention of the school. It's a longshot but we do risk having an issue that will carry over into the summer months when that spot is prime. Not to mention in general even if your told to move, just do it. I have been kicked out of firestone by a cop who didn't want to hear it and I just did it. I went to Costco, let things cool and then went back. It's just using some common sense. I was not referring to you, I was replying to Marks post but come on guys. There is a way to do things here no matter what is arriving.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Surprised the Principal did that, as we've been going there so often in such large groups for so long. I almost wonder whether the cop was telling the truth about that to begin with.

Either way, though you were within your rights and not doing anything wrong, I'm glad you complied with his request and actually left. Thankfully you still got some nice shots.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

anyway who cares, I have my inaugural flight shots
    Exactly

Phil : Cop said that principal called and then he showed us a piece of paper with our reg numbers on it....
    Now that you have aroused the attention of school officials wouldn't it be prudent to lay low from the mounds a little while? I am just saying use a little common sense. Something that wasn't used at cargo plaza.

JFK - The Mounds 2/28/11

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Now that you have aroused the attention of school officials wouldn't it be prudent to lay low from the mounds a little while? I am just saying use a little common sense. Something that wasn't used at cargo plaza.
    I understand your point, and others. However, I don't quite see what the problem is to be sitting in your own car...

Anyway, whenever I am approached by officers, and when they're done with me, I always ask for permission to stick around. So far, I've always gotten a yes. If I'm told to leave, then I will, no questions asked.

In any case, yes, it would blow big time if the Mounds or any other spot became inaccessible for any of us... But if people can't even sit inside their car, then I should call the police 20 times a day as I walk the streets of NY...

Was planning to catch early departures at the Mounds tomorrow... Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    I understand your point, and others. However, I don't quite see what the problem is to be sitting in your own car...

Anyway, whenever I am approached by officers, and when they're done with me, I always ask for permission to stick around. So far, I've always gotten a yes. If I'm told to leave, then I will, no questions asked.

In any case, yes, it would blow big time if the Mounds or any other spot became inaccessible for any of us... But if people can't even sit inside their car, then I should call the police 20 times a day as I walk the streets of NY...

There is no problem sitting on your own car but this is a unique situation. Nobody has ever shot at the mounds in winter but now we have a few that do, great, but now you have gotten noticed by someone that could potentially be an issue. Not saying it will just saying it should be kept in mind going forward. We let behavior at cargo plaza get out of control and we lost it. Is that private property? Sure but by using our heads we were able to shoot there and now we can't. Can it happen at the mounds? Probably not but stranger things have happened.

What departures? If you mean 4 you need to go to woodmere park. Hey I can't tell you what to do but going back to the mounds tomorrow would be foolish IMO but if you do and you are approached by unfriendly police that ask you to leave just comply.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2011-02-28 at 08:49 PM.

It was weird situation but nobody made any problems we just left saying: that's ok, we understand.... we left and we didn't come back like police officers asked us to do. Mark asked him if this is ok if we will stay in the car he said: NO you must leave and we left.... end of the story.... weird cuz yesterday we met Police officer at the mounds who was very nice and he asked about websites and inaugural Lufthansa flight... for some reason I don't believe that principal called cops, as Phil said they know us at the mounds right ?? Someone called but Im not sure it was principal....
    Last edited by chrisparypa; 2011-02-28 at 09:02 PM.
    Living The Dream...

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    What departures? If you mean 4 you need to go to woodmere park. Hey I can't tell you what to do but going back to the mounds tomorrow would be foolish IMO but if you do and you are approached by unfriendly police that ask you to leave just comply.
    I do my 4 departures from the Mounds...

Then, Manny was absolutely right before... what is and what is not private property over there? My car is, 149th Ave is not.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparypa View Post
    It was weird situation but nobody made any problems we just left saying: that's ok, we understand.... we left and we didn't come back like police officers asked us to do. Mark asked him if this is ok if we will stay in the car he said: NO you must leave and we left.... end of the story.... weird cuz yesterday we met Police officer and the mounds who was very nice and he asked about websites and inaugural Lufthansa flight... for some reason I don't believe that principal called cops, as Phil said they know us at the mounds right ?? Someone called but Im not sure it was principal....
    You will get that once in a blue, last year or year before myself and Jakub got the same thing at Firestone. Really wierd officer who was pleasant but made it clear he wanted us out. We didn't say anything, just left and went to either Boston Market or Costco, let things cool for a couple of weeks and went back. It's a cycle but it's a good practice. Better to just cut your losses for a day, it pays off down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    I do my 4 departures from the Mounds...

Then, Manny was absolutely right before... what is and what is not private property over there? My car is, 149th Ave is not.
    Your safer on the soccer field, IIRC that park is a NYS public park.

Eric great shot!

Firstly, obey the law!!! Which is what we did, but it just nagged me inside.......yesterday we had a terriffic day with the law and today we were on the otherside of the spectrum. I would not make a big deal of this. Can't wait to see Eric's images.

Next time I shoot from the mounds I'll be under the rock, just like the guy in the GEICO commercial .... LOL
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Firstly, obey the law!!! Which is what we did, but it just nagged me inside.......yesterday we had a terriffic day with the law and today we were on the otherside of the spectrum. I would not make a big deal of this. Can't wait to see Eric's images.

Next time I shoot from the mounds I'll be under the rock, just like the guy in the GEICO commercial .... LOL
    Police are like anything else. 99 times out of a hundred you will get good ones. 1 time not. I would walk up on the hill so nobody can see you when you shoot there. Sitting on that road you will get the police called quick, especially if School is in.