Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JFK - The Mounds 2/28/11

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Nobody has really shot at the mounds in winter because the light sucks.
    First, I think it's wrong to say that The Mounds are only used in the summer. You may not think that the light is bad by your own preferences, but it is still usable and a scroll-down on this site will show you that it's used constantly. It's just not true, and I don't know why you actually believe this, Nick.

I also don't think that we should derail our normal, safe and legal planespotting activities because of the thought that the principal called the police. First, I don't completely believe he/she did (police have lied many times in the past about who called and they have no obligation to do so), and if we were on some sort of private property and are "pushing our luck" by being there.

The fact is that this is not a "cargo plaza" situation. If the school keeps calling the cops we DO have a leg to stand on. It's a park that we have a right to be at. If something WERE to escalate, and right now we have NO reason to think that there's anything actually WRONG here. But if something were to happen, we can call for a meeting with the school and police (who know us for the most part anyway) to talk it out (friendly).

We're been going there for YEARS, MOST of which is during the school year (July and August are obviously not the only months we go there), with groups of over 35 at times. Really guys...there's a lot of overreaction going on here. One person calling the cops doesn't mean we're about to lose a spotting location.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    First, I think it's wrong to say that The Mounds are only used in the summer. You may not think that the light is bad by your own preferences, but it is still usable and a scroll-down on this site will show you that it's used constantly. It's just not true, and I don't know why you actually believe this, Nick.
    Ok Phil, sure people shoot in winter but it has only been recently that it has been used en masse in the winter which is why this encounter happened. Probably the first time any spotter has been asked to leave.

I also don't think that we should derail our normal, safe and legal planespotting activities because of the thought that the principal called the police. First, I don't completely believe he/she did (police have lied many times in the past about who called and they have no obligation to do so), and if we were on some sort of private property and are "pushing our luck" by being there.
    Never said derail just give it a break. Also probably better to actually be in the park and not in street. As for not believing the police that is your opinion but chances are they did get a call from someone.

The fact is that this is not a "cargo plaza" situation. If the school keeps calling the cops we DO have a leg to stand on. It's a park that we have a right to be at. If something WERE to escalate, and right now we have NO reason to think that there's anything actually WRONG here. But if something were to happen, we can call for a meeting with the school and police (who know us for the most part anyway) to talk it out (friendly).
    True but as far as the cargo plaza situation goes we could have still been shooting there today if some common sense was used. Simple fact. By being reactive and not PROACTIVE we let an out of towner ruin a great spot regardless of whether it was private property or not.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Guys, I think we're all missing something here.

I believe the principal called, but I do not think it was because people we out plane spotting. If anything, he/she would have called because gentlemen were outside a school for children with professional photography equipment.

I am willing to bet that he/she called out of concern for the students, and NOT because of the plane spotting. Nick is right, it may be prudent to stay away from the Mounds on weekdays for this reason. We don't want anyone to get the wrong impression from our hobby. While the police officer may have brought up 9/11, it could have been a way for him to "save face" when he realized, "Wait, these guys aren't here for the kids, they're here for the planes. How can I get them to leave to appease the principal?"

That's my two cents.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    Guys, I think we're all missing something here.

I believe the principal called, but I do not think it was because people we out plane spotting. If anything, he/she would have called because gentlemen were outside a school for children with professional photography equipment.

I am willing to bet that he/she called out of concern for the students, and NOT because of the plane spotting. Nick is right, it may be prudent to stay away from the Mounds on weekdays for this reason. We don't want anyone to get the wrong impression from our hobby. While the police officer may have brought up 9/11, it could have been a way for him to "save face" when he realized, "Wait, these guys aren't here for the kids, they're here for the planes. How can I get them to leave to appease the principal?"

That's my two cents.

TIS
    They were called because they saw suspicious activity. Also I don't think we have to stop spotting weekdays, just give it a few days before going back and then not shooting from the street. It seems everytime I call for a little caution Phil likes to sound the alarm that I am freaking out. I am not freaking out, just asking people to use a little common sense so we don't get into a situation like Phil mentioned where people have to meet with people and have to "talk it out". Isn't it better to avoid that? I learned a few things hanging around campaigns like Rubios, and Brewer last year. Sometimes even when you are right it's better to deflect and not engage.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

So to put it simply, this thread is just going this way >>>> http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...rgo-plaza-10-1

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    So to put it simply, this thread is just going this way >>>> http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...rgo-plaza-10-1

Bit of a stretch but no, that area is airport property, the soccer field isn't. Phil is right that if things got out of control we could fight and remain I am just saying why do that when you can just take a few days off and get the same result. That thread does remind me of my epic signature line, I may have to bring it back for Mario.

I remembered at one point at Firestone that Nick and I was asked to leave by an Auxurlury officer, which I found that funny, and we went by Costco on a day that an Aeromexico 777 was coming. Jakub meet up with us, then we see a guy in a SUV like eyeing us and starts to go out of his mind and says that he dont like the fact of us taking pictures and he threat to call the cops, but things got better and still it was a great day..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

LOL Sergio yea I remember that! That guy was nuts. I wish I had my crap car with me I would have probably would have rammed him because he was actually trying to block me from leaving.

bottom line is, all of us is always going to be encountered often, you may get a good cop that might actually like our hobby, or may get a cop that may have one of those atitudes or i should say (a bug up his behind) and just ask us to leave.. If i get that, I just take off no questions asked. But for all of us, dont think you did something wrong if asked to leave by cops, try to walk away with a smile and say to yourself (wow this day turned out great!).. Always try to keep things possitive.. Always carry ID, we all will be fine..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Firstly, who knows if the cop actually received a call from the principal or not. Maybe it's best to educate the educator's.

This is wishful thinking, but I would like to have a sit down with the principal and educate them on plane spotting and why they may see strangers with camera's near by. I would also mention that we are a community of professionals (not some bunch of derelicts), that are passionate about aviation and photography. We are very vigilant and observant of our surroundings. If there was a stranger that didn't look a spotter, we would most likely be the first to report it to the local police. I totally understand the sensitivity issue with school childeren, but having people around would provide more of a deterrent than not having anyone around.

I plan on hitting the mounds after work today if they're using the 22s (but this would be way after school hours), but I'll be on the park grounds sitting on a bench.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I had the same thinking Mark. Hey, we can push it and imagine that it would be a nice occasion for the teachers to bring the kids out of the classroom for an hour, and teach them something... Not just about planes, but about where they come from... a sort of geography lesson or something. Would be a nice way to make these youngsters realize that they live in one of the biggest cities in the world, and that they have millions of people from all countries flying over their heads everyday.

Like you said, this is wishful thinking but I don't think that'd be impossible to arrange...

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    LOL Sergio yea I remember that! That guy was nuts. I wish I had my crap car with me I would have probably would have rammed him because he was actually trying to block me from leaving.
    I just got a visual Nick... great laugh :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I just got a visual Nick... great laugh :-)
    Oh yea that guy was a lunatic Sergio can tell you. He kept asking me why my windows are so dark and why I have no front license plate. I actually made Jakub leave in his car so he wouldn't get involved then told the guy I wasn't going to tell him again to get out of my way. It was awesome. Still the best was shooting by myself at the mounds some guy tried to make me stay while he called police. I was going to cave his head in with my monopod because he got a little too in my face. He then tried to stand behind my car to prevent me from leaving. I also told him he better move or I would back right over him. It was epic.

I was headed west on Rockaway Blvd towards Brookville, when I turned to my Mom and said "isn't today a regular school day?" and she was like "of course it is, it isn't a holiday." As I approached the Peninsula Blvd intersection I slowed up and thought about it, a school in session, a crowd of people, big ass cameras...so I took the right on Peninsula and headed to North Woodmere. Of course, in the end it didn't help that they changed the runways, but I felt being conservative was a better bet.

I still had to race my ass off anyway. Which goes back to, as much as you and I and all of us know this is a fun hobby and we're all friends here, in the end, people on the outside just don't get it. Even when I give one of my lines to someone like "You know how much Madden likes football? Well that's how much I like planes, period" people just don't get it. They may nod their head and go "Ohhh, OK" but I can see it on their face that it makes no sense, and when something confuses someone and there's any kind of an association to "9/11" the'd rather be a coward about it and call the police.

If it's anyone I know, even a friend of a friend, I say to them "your homework assignment is to watch the South Park episode about 9/11, then we can talk."

If we were to associate everything with 9/11, we could not even look at planes flying over head. I don;t ever see any of these folks who see us out in the open for HOURS and happy and joyful ever wonder about WHICH CAR on Rockaway right where planes cross over, or on the parking lots of the Costco or any other place along the way... if they TRULY TRULY worried, they owuld think about how silly that only we out in the open in a very busy parking lot would be up to no good. That there are hundreds of little streets behind the Starbucks where I can park my car and not be seen... or even in Costco or Panera parking, what about ALL THE OTHER people and cars? Just because they are not out with a camera wide open in public and ... let me stop.

I truly sometimes feel like calling in and saying, I want to report a person parking their car in front of Staples, and they are headed in the direction of Wendy's not sure if their intentions are sound... they have a very large purse and what looks to be a baby carriage. Just thought I'd report it because there are planes overhead and well, 9/11... thank you officers.

Anyway, I think it's time to resurface this treasure!!!

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS