Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JFK 02/23/2011

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    Great stuff, as always! I presume the departure shots were taken from Woodmere Park, and not the Mounds (to clarify, for those who may be confused)?

Or, it could be that I'm wrong, which is not uncommon...though I've never seen that angle from the Mounds.

TIS

Antonis,

I really don;t like Woodmere that much because it is such a hassle to get to :-( so unless I must, I will use The Mounds.

The Mounds is bad usually for small or cargo aircraft but the foreign heavies always deliver :-) Besides, you could get away with a 70-200 on a crop sensor for a frame fill... but, if you're after domestics, Woodmere is your best bet for 4L departures.

BTW, Woodmere is a quite distant from 4L if you care about image quality and putting as many pixels as possible on a plane... for photography's sake, Woodmere is not that great (for me anyway) For pure spotting, it is much more flexible than The Mounds for departures.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I cannot wait for the warmer and longer days to get here so I can head down again. I've been checking the arrivals schedules into JFK lately to find out what I can see once it starts staying light later. Does anything really change depending on the seasons there in NYC. What I mean is, do the flight times, or frequency change during spring and summer, etc for the over seas flights?
    Frequency will certainly change.. more volume in summer. But the regulars will likely stick to their time tables as people count ton them being on time the same time everyday. You may just get added traffic.

I know from experience flying out of JFK, in the summer, I am stuck on the taxiways much longer than in winter flights.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Frequency will certainly change.. more volume in summer. But the regulars will likely stick to their time tables as people count ton them being on time the same time everyday. You may just get added traffic.

I know from experience flying out of JFK, in the summer, I am stuck on the taxiways much longer than in winter flights.
    Great! Thanks Manny, Would definitely like to catch more international flights. Hopefully that means even more added variety on the quipment used as well. Not that there isn't already.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Antonis,

I really don't like Woodmere that much because it is such a hassle to get to :-( so unless I must, I will use The Mounds.
    Oh, right. They use 4L to depart, not 4R. Mounds make sense now.

I, personally, much prefer Woodmere. I like the angle for the turn better and in the summer the sun's angle is a bit better for lighting up the side of the aircraft (from the Mounds, it can be a bit high). I feel the distance is fine on my 50D + 100-400L, so maybe having a full-frame is a limitation I should be happy I don't have to deal with?

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Well aside from the crop factor, there is no difference from your 400mm than mine even between FF and Crop sensor.. zero. The difference is not one of Focal Length but crop, which just means the amount of pixels concentrated on the same spot. This is actually even more fun with a WA and Telephoto comparison.
    Manny Gonzalez