Thread: Share your spotting injuries!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Share your spotting injuries!

OK, I know phil has one to share.

Here is mine. Living on the approach path of JFK in the early 80s. It was a nice summer day.

I had leaned my bike up against the fence and stood atop the bike, to peer over the fence to get a better view of Concorde.(and he wonders why his son climbs shelves and swings from chandeliers.)

While watching planes come in, I guess I got excited and lost my footing on the bike. The bike gave out from under me. I was left hanging on the fence, the metal protrusions on the fence now stabbing me in my arm pit.

I dont recall pain but more shock and fear as I was drenched in blood.

Stitched up at Jamaica hospital.

If you look closely, I still have the scar.

So I have a Concorde scar.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Haha. I went spotting at an un-published LGA spotting location on the College Point shoreline. While attempting do descend the muddy hill that I've done thousands of times during my childhood, I slipped. Not a big deal, but my hand came down on a broken Corona bottle, which went deep into my hand. Off the hospital, some stitches and then surgery a few days later to repair a severed nerve. To this day I still only have partial feeling in the inner-half of my thumb.

Otherwise, I've had countless scrapes, cuts, bruises, and even a nail through my foot (stepped on a plank with a nail sticking up). It happens.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

During airshow a few years back it was like 2 days of 12 hours in hot summer sun with +90 Degrees on the ramp and outside the old control tower.... I got really bad Chafing....does that count?
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-02-23 at 03:10 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Many bruises from gear banging and other little things but the main one from spotting was a windy day at HoBe, open my driver's door to step out and take a shot, set left foot on the ground, lost track of door, reached right front pax seat for camera, door came swinging back and crunched my leg midway between Knee and Ankle... no blood, but I swear that it still hurts when touched.

I guess from being old I have learned NOT to do certain stupid moves, like at KALB a few weeks ago, I started up a snow bank to catch a shot over the fence and my intelligent side said, oh no you don't you dumb-ass, you have something more important to do later on so get yer arse back down on solid ground.

Good thing I did, I tested the snow bank later with my bumper and it was SOLID ICE, not snow ... I probably would have been in the hospital with Mark H. for a broken ankle or worse...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Went to stand from a crouching position at an airshow last summer and pinched a nerve in my back that caused pain that lasted for months, causing me to have to visit a chiropractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    During airshow a few years back it was like 2 days of 12 hours in hot summer sun with +90 Degrees on the ramp and outside the old control tower.... I got really bad Chafing....does that count?
    this may be one of the most remarkably hilarious posts I've ever read with no regard to a particular topic. Fred, I don't say it's funny because I'm laughing at you, I say its hilarious because I know your pain. Cheers to bad chafing!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

hmm, does it count if my camera has been injured?
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Last year at FRG memorial day weekend, I got sunburned on my head so bad it swelled up. I had to go around with my head shaped like a friggen light bulb for a week.

Also, would peeing on my foot at the mounds count as I let go of my ho-ho-dilly to shoot the Air Comet arrival?
    Last edited by wunaladreamin; 2011-02-23 at 09:43 PM.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    hmm, does it count if my camera has been injured?
    It's a Canon, so I'd say no lol.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Do frozen toes count?

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I was once at GYR on my step ladder and I got a small scratch on my arm from the barbed wire on the top of the fence.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Last year at FRG memorial day weekend, I got sunburned on my head so bad it swelled up. I had to go around with my head shaped like a friggen light bulb for a week.
    Jones Beach 2006... Arrived a bit after the show had started, so I quickly applied a coat of sunscreen to my face. However, I failed to apply a good enough coating to my forehead, resulting in what has become known as the "reverse baseball cap" sunburn. My friends still won't let me live that down. Plenty of swelling involved, but at least the rest of my face was fine.

Lesson Learned: Apply early, apply often, and apply completely.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com