Thread: bayswater park

bayswater park

will be visiting jfk in september can you tell if you are still allowed to take photos in bayswater park.

Not for commercial purposes, from what I've read.

....but if just for hobby, then yes you can.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    ....but if just for hobby, then yes you can.
    Hehe, I was waiting for one of the forum's gurus to confirm since I very rarely go to Bayswater :)

thanks guys for your replys

i heard that it was closed.

It had been closed for 3 weeks or so over a year ago. It's wide open now. Just follow standard park rules.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Last time I was trying to spott some planes from bayswater in January, the gate was locked.... sometimes it's open sometimes it's not... maybe it was just because of the snow etc, Hope to see Bayswater open at all; the times
    Living The Dream...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparypa View Post
    Last time I was trying to spott some planes from bayswater in January, the gate was locked.... sometimes it's open sometimes it's not... maybe it was just because of the snow etc, Hope to see Bayswater open at all; the times
    I tried going there the 2nd weekend in Feb and it was locked. I hope its open next time I come down, which will hopefully be in March after DST when we get an extra hour of daylight and my taxes come in.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

The way Bayswater Park works as far as the gate is concerned, a local neighbor takes care of opening and closing the gate on a daily basis. The NY State Parks Department also has the keys of course and they may or may not do it during times when the neighbor is not able to (Vacation, Sickness, etc.) and also control when it should or should not be opened. This is from a phone call I placed to the NY State Parks office about 6 months ago when it was closed for a few days straight.

I have spotted there quite a few times including way into the evening hours (official hours) and not once did I feel unsafe or did anyone approach to ask me about what I was doing or otherwise.

The fishermen are extremely brave (braver than me) about the weather and very very friendly... however the placement of their poles can sometimes be a problem depending on your position and shooting angle.

For the best observation of the ground operations, tower and IAT/Delta, Bayswater is hard to beat!

Oh, don;t forget it is FAR from the actual runways and airport so you need a long tele. While RWY 4R is close to you, 4L is a ways off and you will need a 400mm on a crop sensor for tight shots. The new perimeter fence is high enough to block wheels and there is a lot of heat shimmer on busy days if using 4L for departures.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Tried going to Bayswater Park today (2/27) to shoot some departures from 22R, but the gate was closed. I guess it's hit or miss for now.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Would be nice to know if it was open or not without having to go all the way down there (PITA if a miss) like a Web Cam on the gate
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I would imagine with the wx improving we should see the park open more, the fisherman will make a huge stink in 2 weeks if its a warm morning.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol