Thread: Traffic at KBOS

Traffic at KBOS

I was hoping that someone on the forum from the Boston area could answer a question for me.

I just made my first spotting trip to JFK this past weekend and now I would like to add KBOS to my resume and I am thinking of coming up in a few weeks to do some afternoon spotting and was curious as to what kind of traffic there is. I have been looking at Flightstats.com to get an idea and see that there is about 90% domestic flights most of which are 737s, E90s, and RJs. It appears to me that most of the overseas arrivals come in in the mid to late afternoon. Is this the same on the weekends? Also, are there any particular runways the overseas arrivals use more than others?

Also, seeing that a few of the "Good" arrivals seem to be around the 5:00 hour, should I maybe wait til April to come up since the sun will be setting later?

THanks for any info.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

As a suggestion, have you looked at THIS and get some ideas? I know it has no times but the light may give an indication of time photo was taken :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Yeah, I've been looking alot at A.net and JP.net along with Flightaware and Flightstats lately to get an idea of things at the places I want to spot at. They have all been very helpful in helping me make decisions on where I want to go an spot. Looking at those photos is great, but I am just looking to hear some personal experiences that others may have had to add a little more insight to what I am seeing.

I am really hoping that when I head up there they are using either 27 or 33L. Preferrably 27 though, so I can get some shots with the skyline in the background, especially as the sun is setting.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I suggest you get in touch with Dan Vincent who hangs here (dvincent)and is probably the expert on KBOS ... I had a 5 minute conversation with him one time at Panera (we hung out all day but...) re: KBOS and I got an ear full... seriously in depth knowledge of the spotting locations, traffic, etc.!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Great!! I will definitely do that. Thanks Manny!

I am looking forward to a chance to go there, I just wish they had the traffic that JFK does.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Hi Steve, Mostly at Logan arrivals are on 33L, departures on 27 in which case a Winthrop spotting location would be good. The spotting guide on this site is excellent and gives you great information.

Thanks Spunker. I was thinking of either setting up a chair by the ball field at Coughlin Park or going to the little parking off of Tafts Ave before gettign to Deer Island Treatment Facility. I guess if they generally depart from 27 then I would be better off going to Tafts Ave to get the arrivals.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net