Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Satisfies Your Aviation Cravings?

Once we hit V1 on a flight, especially if it's out of a dump...

Lining up on a runway (wherever it is!) selecting full power and staring down the numbers before we launch into the skies..

one of the guys i know flying for a major airline here tells his pax in his pa to "prepare for lift off" and I think it's just that.. it's something special taking off into the blue skies that alot of people don't recognize these days..

But if you really wanna know Phil watching One Six Right the film sent shivers through me.. (i know its a few years old now..) but i recommend everyone here who hasn't seen it yet, watch it- what a fantastic film and embodies what we are all about
    Qantas orders 188 narrow body aircraft!!!

Well, I MUST say that I owe 100% of my passion for aviation photography to Phil :) If I never ran into him and a few others last spring by the Marina I never would have even known what this was !
    For me I always liked taking photos, started with my little point and shoot till I got my 1st SLR not even a year ago. After going by LGA a few times and trying it out, I was hooked !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Quote Originally Posted by Roush6NY View Post
    Well, I MUST say that I owe 100% of my passion for aviation photography to Phil :) If I never ran into him and a few others last spring by the Marina I never would have even known what this was !
    For me I always liked taking photos, started with my little point and shoot till I got my 1st SLR not even a year ago. After going by LGA a few times and trying it out, I was hooked !
    wow, you saw spotters taking pictures, not having had any previous experience with it, and decided you wanted to do it? Now THAT'S amazing- I never new this was so contagious!

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    wow, you saw spotters taking pictures, not having had any previous experience with it, and decided you wanted to do it? Now THAT'S amazing- I never new this was so contagious!
    I'm tellin ya ... I had NO clue what this was about, I was just there snapping some pics of my car and my eye caught 4 guys with cameras and of course I had to walk over to see what was so interesting and Phil was explaining to me right away what the whole deal was .. NOW, I wish I can be out there every time I have a chance and in such short period of time I have grown such passion for it !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    I love looking down a runway as we line up, especially if it's at night, but my favourite aviation moment comes about 30 seconds later, just after liftoff when the airplane transitions from thrust and ground effect to having the wings generate lift and it feels like a big hand is pulling you up into the sky. Once you're in the air, the sky doesn't stop giving. Being a geographer, there's really nothing that compares for me to looking out the window and seeing the Earth; its physical features and land use patterns, and knowing that everything you're seeing is telling you a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush6NY View Post
    I'm tellin ya ... I had NO clue what this was about, I was just there snapping some pics of my car and my eye caught 4 guys with cameras and of course I had to walk over to see what was so interesting and Phil was explaining to me right away what the whole deal was .. NOW, I wish I can be out there every time I have a chance and in such short period of time I have grown such passion for it !
    I'm with you Kaz. I have always loved planes, especially airliners since I was a kid, and when I got my new camera gear back in the fall I started looking around for tips on shooting better and somehow I came across this forum and instantly I was hooked on photographing airplanes. And like you I wish I could be out all the time doing it. I have to say that I am jealous of all you guys down there near the city that can head over to JFK or LGA just about any time you want to go.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

i want to add flying the Champ off of a grass strip at sunrise, flying the 727 anywhere, and spotting from the deck of the starbucks on crossbay in HoBe, on a summer early am.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

I used to have my grandma bring me to the heliport in Nassau. It was somewhere near Carle Place, where they lived. On the wknd, Concorde would fly right over their house on approach. In boot camp, I'd hear F-16's flying overhead and it'd take everything to not look up. But most of all, sending out my bird on a Rescue has proven to be very rewarding.

I have to say that when I read numerous posts that mention spotting and the concorde in the same sentence I gotta ask this question..... What was it like being at the mounds or even at Firestone when the concorde was coming in? I got enough of a rush being up at the wounds having 747s and and A340s etc pass by on approach to 22L, and I cannot imagine what it was like to have the Concorde pass by up there. I guess what I am getting at is that I would love for one of you guys that have been there to see that to put it into words what it was like.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

being at work, seeing a rare visitor, and being able to snap that elusive picture of it is awesome. from the ramp, right along the runway, you can get some really sweet shots. :-) watching the factory fresh F15's and F-18's execute the Viking departure at KSTL.... full afterburners and nearly straight up to 10,000' over the runway... cleared for take off and contact Kansas City Center... LOL

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Watching Senga update his flickr page with all the rare **** you want so bad and shake your head in wonder at how he got it.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Flying a cub off of grass on a nice summer morning with the door open.
    Rolling a B747-400 onto 31R after flying over the town I grew up in.
    Flying over the town I live in now on descent to JFK and knowing I'll be home soon.
    Flying anything up the Hudson.
    Sitting alongside a grass runway and 'grading' a landing contest.
    Looking up whenever any airliner flies over.
    Seeing my daughter point at an airplane and say "Daddy Plane"(she's 2).

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Yeah where is that famous pic?

is spottting from the roof of the Starbucks at Hobe any good in the summer?

Here's anohter one that satifies my aviation craving?

Highheels dresses up at a flight attendant and we role play the old, "flight attendant bares all for first class passenger" routine.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

i like spotting off the starbucks deck but i'm not a photographer,but for hanging out with a good cup of joe,while the 31s and 13s are humming,cant beat it.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!