Thread: JFK 02/11/11

JFK 02/11/11

Hey guys. What a superb light we've had today! I started at Inwood and stayed for about 30 mins, just enough time to catch the Emirates A380 (my stupid self had set up the camera at ISO 800 by mistake, therefore I won't even bother sharing that one!). Then moved to Costco where I met Mark for the first time, nice fella! Stayed there for about 90 mins until they switched to the 22s. Drove to the Mounds to catch the last rays of light, joined by Mark a minute later. Here's my humble set of the day:

Last edited by RomNYC; 2011-02-11 at 09:04 PM.

Nice seeing Aeroflot once again during daylight hours :-)

Rom, sorry I missed you... I only made it for the Finn today.. .I drove right past you when the Etihad flew past... it went right over my head on Rock Blvd. Will post the Finn later... FINALLY caught it from a reasonable distance LOL.

Great light and skies today!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Nice surprise visitor today...

The cleanest planes are from AF

And finally the Finnster

Manny Gonzalez

Forgot this visitor is still here...

Manny Gonzalez

AF really doesn't make me proud with that one Even from Costco, I could tell it was messy.

Glad you finally caught the Finnster! You can cross that one off your list

I was out and about this morning for a few shots, and bumped into Nick at Bayswater were we shot for a while before the cold got the best of us, and things started to slow down. It was a pleasure meeting Rom, and finally catching the Finnair Cargo MD-11 with Manny (mission accomplished!!!). Also, bumped into Eric at Panera, before they switched to the 22s. Headed to the mounds for some last minute shots for the day (where I bumped into Rom again). Here are my catch (sorry for repeating any shots). By the way, at the mounds some detectives were checking out a burnt car, and one of the detectives decided to take a photo of our plate numbers. At which point I decided to approach the detective to find out if there was a problem. We had a brief conversation but nothing more than that. Mostly likely they'll run the plate numbers to make sure we check out.

Caught this Avianca from HoBe with a 90 years anniversary logo which surprised me.

Here are a few from Bayswater

Some from Costco

A few from Inwood (which was the highlight of the day).

Last but not least..........some shots from the mounds to close out the day

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Ha! Nice to see your shots Mark as we bumped into each other a couple of times. Nice to compare, and there's no contest, your pics are awesome. I particularly love that Avianca!

I did enjoy the Mounds, although it was short. The light was b-e-a-utiful.

Those two detectives were fun, although I was a little concerned when they took photos of our plate numbers (sorry, I moved to this country just a year ago, felt like in a movie LOL). And that burnt car, was that a Maserati? Geez... what a waste.

Nice meeting you Mark! See you (and others) around

Nice series guys! Great variety and a number of specials. Mark, I am surprised the little speedbird can make it all the way over!
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Rom..........thanks for the nice comments. When I started out shooting digitially I had a learning curve, part of it is technique and the other part is post processing (your workflow when it comes to editing) in my opinion. Thanks to the various folks I've spotted with from here and other photography forums I feel I've improved my photography skills. As far as the Avianca goes, I caught it from HoBe during the early morning hours when the light wasn't that good.

Who knows about that little Speedbird...........maybe they do some in-flight refueling :)
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Great shots guys, I see AF has continued their policy about not washing aircraft that A380 was dirty

Good grabs.. If anyone caught N784JB yesterday landing you captured her first landing on US soil... She was delivered yesterday from France... She departed after dark to Orlando.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

@Mark, you're totally wrong about the Avianca... I am so embarrassed for you... It is NOT the 90 Years Anniversary ... it is 90 Años . Geesh!

@hiss hrq, I could KICK myself... Mark and I saw her fly past... I am pretty sure it was her.. .and let her slide as yet another "blue". All we are looking for now is I (heart) NY lol...

@Rom, You are going to get a knock on your door at 3:00am and some guys in Black are going to Bag You ... Muhahaha. Don;t sweat it, the US is well known for embellishing Hollywood Productions. Just watch one of the best films on the subject: Enemy of the State ... if any of it was true to the letter, none of us could sleep well at night. And before all you spooks out there start telling me it is all true, I am fully aware of the power of the lenses on some of the satellites, and the powers of the CIA LOL... but some of the stuff in the film is still a few years away!

@Jeremy. The first time I saw "Speedbird 1" A318 I thought, OMG, BAW is competing with Virgin America and JetBlue!! But then I was told it actually flies from London City to NY (with a small stop in Ireland) but it does indeed make it over the pond. Amazing indeed this little guy. I think I have seen bigger Gulfstreams LOL.
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-02-12 at 10:25 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    LOL at Manny using FB quote feature! Mark great seeing you in the morning that was cold! Had something to do in the afternoon sorry I missed you guys!

Rom don't worry, I was at LAS and parked near the Janet terminal. They took many pictures of my plate so the government is well aware of me. You get used to it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Mark, that avianca could get I a.net I think.
    Trevor Guglielmino
    ------------------------------
    My Photos
    Canon T2i/60D