Thread: Someone points laser at a Southwest 737 landing at LAX

Someone points laser at a Southwest 737 landing at LAX

Someone was reported blinding a laser on a Southwest plane landing at LAX.

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/loca...lanes-20110119
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

It's people like that, that get Aviation photographers in a lot of trouble.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    there was one at LGA just last week don't know if it got reported though. how on earth can you possibly think doing that is a good idea?!?!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

its just stupidity period

Sergio Cardona

People who do this obviously don't realize that they are jeopardizing hundreds of lives in the air and potentially hundreds on the ground if they screw with the pilots just right. My guess is they are high school kids with nothing to do.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

With 2800 incidents in 2010 there are a lot of stupid people out there.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    With 2800 incidents in 2010 there are a lot of stupid people out there.
    They can have photographers surrounded in minutes yet they cant get a single person with a laser. Idk something isnt right here.

I blame TV, Hollywood, and the parents' failure for this... A lot of times I do think about how wrong our world is sometimes. I say report them, and sentence them!

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    They can have photographers surrounded in minutes yet they cant get a single person with a laser. Idk something isnt right here.
    Couldn't agree more.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Guys, this is a very simple problem to resolve... We just have to beat these people senseless on national TV with a banner in the background reading "If you point LASERs are airplanes, this is what will happen to you" just like the terrorist groups do before beheading their victims. A few of these and I guarantee these incidents will cease

All kidding aside, there are ways to mathematically calculate the trajectory of a bullet back to its source within seconds via sound triangulation and other "secret sauce" methods... it is regularly used at speeches etc. Why isn't this done with lasers attacks? I think BEFORE it brings down an aircraft, manufacturers or airliners should equip aircraft with some sensor that automatically reports back an attack and location information.

Finally, I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of these Richard Craniums... and "Get Medieval" on them to quote one of my favorite movie scenes! Where are the parents of these children?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I think that the response to photographers and laser pointerers are a little different, for several reasons. For us, though police may respond to us, we're usually treated nicely, with respect, and the police usually know about us but need to respond anyway when the unknowing public calls the police on us. Also keep in mind we are on public property, aren't running away and are quite visible.

Laser pointing is usually reported by the aircraft in question, can only offer vague ideas of where it's coming from (they're usually trying to land the plane at the time, mind you), and is usually done from private property that is not very visible. It becomes a challenging hunt.

I saw a video one time of someone that fired a laser at night at a police helicopter. The chopper at infrared and a camera and was easily able to spot the person and pursue. The person just kept it up....didn't even realize he/she was being tracked.

It is frightening to me how stupid people can be. I'm sure their ignorance is just a prank in their mind, not realizing that even at a distance, the laser can injure and have dangerous or even deadly effect.

This is one type of incident where I think that the media making a big deal of something will actually lead toward people seeing just how dangerous this is.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thats why I always say that its a good thing that police would always check on with us photographers to be on the safe side.. As Phil stated, they treat us alot better and they have been familiar with us.. All it takes is to have good atitude and not make things harder.. They are sometimes we are asked to leave that location, or sometimes not.. As of pointing laser at planes, my opinion, its imature and yes it is plain stupid, but it doesnt mean that photographers would be in trouble or even put in risk because of one or more dummies doing dumb stuff.. Always be on the positive side, and not on the negitive..

Sergio Cardona