Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southwest's Business Strategy Post AirTran Acquisition

NLovis
    I wonder. Think we will ever see a -900 in SWA colors?

So what are the odds of having the 717's do ISP-ATL? That would be sweet.
    It's the fares, stupid

Good morning all! First things first, Southwest has operated multi-fleet AND Multi-type in the past, see the link below for a photograph of one of the B727s that used to fly for Southwest. Not for a long time, and not in a major way, but still...

To chime in on both their "Hub" plans and their "fleet" plans, IMO, it comes down to Southwest evolving to meet their new role as not just a hometown, folksy, LCC based in the Southwest, but as one of the major players in the airline industry and, especially with the AirTran acquisiton, the primary competitor to Delta.

The term "hub" (or the lack of its use) is one way in which they can maintain a different culture and different identity in the minds of consumers. Its amazing how different words have different conotations for travelers. Many are the business travelers who might have an adverse reaction to the term "hub" and perfer a more point to point way of flying. Worst case, a connecting opportunity in an Aiport that is not ATL, or DFW, or DTW, etc. In this way, and by not using the term, Southwest can appeal the business traveller (and his higher fares) while establishing a difference from DL, AA, etc. Is it the same thing, of course.. you know that, we all know that.. but.. the general public isnt really going to squibble over the details, and as long as Bill working for IBM isnt stuck in Chiago during the next round of Thunderstorms because he connected in BNA or LIT or DAL, I dont think he will either.

As for aircraft type, that is an obvious area where, in order to maintain growth, Southwest has to make changes and adjustments. The addition of the 738 (and associated changes in labor requirements) are almost as significant from a route planning, scheduling, and logistics standpoint as the B717. Southwest has probably hit is maxiumum growth ability without the addition of new types (or versions)-- on both ends of the scale. They will make more $$ into LGA with fully loaded 738s, and they will be able to make inroads into the smaller Airtran markets, and perhaps even some existing SW markets with the 717.

If anything, Southwest is behaving like a succesfully maturing thirty year old, keeping what works and adjusting what needs to be adjusted.

oh and heres the 727..

www.flickr.com/photos/7903090@N06/3410697755/
    FDNY#13
    Be The Change You Want to See in the World
    http://www.flicker.com/cbcarver5

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    So what are the odds of having the 717's do ISP-ATL? That would be sweet.
    I'd think its pretty high Art or I hope it is.... At the least its certainly higher then DAL doing it. The cost would be far lower for WN to open that up then DAL.

I agree Tommy--and I hope it comes to pass...then A List here I come :)
    It's the fares, stupid