Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requests for Photos

Requests for Photos

I get a lot of requests for photo usage through Airliners.net or Jetphotos.net. I am not sure what I should do and typically I tell the requestor I can sell the photo(s) to them and my limited rights for usage. I follow my usual guidelines for my other photos.

But I wonder, what "should" I do?

-Should I toggle the photo sales on A.net?
    -Does JP.net have similar options?
    -What rate do you think I should sell photos at if requested?

Any advise would be welcome :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Manny, everytime I get a request, I ask myself the same questions. I base my rates on what the usage is for.
    Problem is I never know if I am under or over estimating my value, you know?

For example, I sold one photo for print use in an advertisement for a few hundred. THe same photo was used in a larger use for a little over a grand. I am not a 'seller' per say but if the user is wanting to use my image to make $$, then its an investment on both ends.
    Moose sent me a link about fees not long ago but I cant find it right now. Its a good rule of thumb.

Im happy to say that in a few weeks, all my photo equipment will ahve paid for itself. YAY! That was a small goal I set for myself.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Program Coordinator
    I don't get any requests through airliners...though this may be because my photos are not listed for sale. Maybe I'd get more that way. Jetphotos and flickr are my biggest sales producers. Anyways; it depends a lot on what they are offering and what sort of usage rights they are looking for. Same as mirrodie, I've sold 1 photo 2 times...once for an exclusive one year license for $1200, and then for use in a company wide calendar (one-time use, before the aforementioned sale) for $250. All depends.
    If they're just generally asking, then I usually just end up asking telling them the photo is for sale but prices vary based on size/usage-license and see if they follow up. More often than not it's just people looking for free usage, and I never hear from them again. I'd be more open to giving some away for free but then it's a slap in the face to the folks have paid money (sometimes good money) to use the same or similar photos.

Im happy to say that in a few weeks, all my photo equipment will ahve paid for itself. YAY! That was a small goal I set for myself.
    I have a ways to go! Usually every time I sell something I just end up spending it digging my hole deeper with more stuff!
    Last edited by jerslice; 2011-02-06 at 03:23 PM.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Don't use airliners. You lose control of your shots and they get next to nothing for them.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Thanks Mario. I do not sell through A.net or JP.net (meaning I don;t toggle the option) and it is more directed requests via E-mail. I have a very well put together photography sales document for my regular photography business and that by itself pays for my gear ... so I am good there. But I'd like to be able to benefit from my hobby as well since it does eat up a considerable amount of time and effort!

Jeremy, thank you... that is a good tip too. And as for the free/cost part, I feel the same and also a SLAP in the face for other photographers. I always tell myself (I also do Network Design and consulting on the side and charge for it) I go into my local Pizza shop at least once aday and have very good friends there and laugh it up and all with the owner and workers and I have NEVER walked out with a free slice of pizza! These businesses are always expecting payment. While I see Aviation Photography and Spotting as a hobby, it is not right to just give away the work when others are living off it. So it is a community issue as well. If suddenly a pizzeria gave away slices, the rest of the ones in the neighborhood would not be so pleased.

Nick, I think the same way. I have always been against someone else's pricing schedules... which leads me to the question, how does A.net pricing and sales work? I have yet to find info on it and each photo I look at, I can never find sales button or pricing :-(

Thanks guys
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny, I think Nick is talking about paid A.net members being able to download your photos without the watermark. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but I still upload to A.net, so I can't complain much. And I'm pretty sure A.net hasn't done photo sales for years. They still have the option to sell when you upload, but it does nothing.

I've gotten so many requests to send people unwatermarked hi-res photos "for personal use" in the past few months. I used to politely decline, but some of these people aren't even polite about it, so I've started ignoring them altogether. And the last time a publication asked for my photo, they touted themselves as a premium/luxurious magazine that was "impossible to miss" on newsstands in Europe. When I asked about payment, they never responded.
    Last edited by Cary; 2011-02-06 at 05:43 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Cary,

I too get tons of PERSONAL USE requests for SPECIFIC sizes and all ... it is laughable. I usually politely respond with pricing and never get a response. I have also ignored some outright and they have E-mailed again with similar tone. I do believe sometimes it is just lack of native tongue for the rudeness... some folks from overseas use Google Translate and it does do a poor job sometimes.

Yes, I have decided to limit my A.net photos to 1200px only because I do care about quality and at 1024, it is harder to keep quality up... I find it easier to show off at 1200px or higher.

Thanks for your input!
    Manny Gonzalez

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Manny, I think Nick is talking about paid A.net members being able to download your photos without the watermark. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but I still upload to A.net, so I can't complain much. And I'm pretty sure A.net hasn't done photo sales for years. They still have the option to sell when you upload, but it does nothing.
    No I wa referring to the sales option which I never did from day one. IIRC it was a 8 by 10 print and it was very cheap and I think they took a piece. So that was not even an option. As for the watermark yea that blows but just don't upload over 1100 or 1200 if you must and keep the resolution low.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    No I wa referring to the sales option which I never did from day one. IIRC it was a 8 by 10 print and it was very cheap and I think they took a piece. So that was not even an option. As for the watermark yea that blows but just don't upload over 1100 or 1200 if you must and keep the resolution low.
    Gotcha...yeah, my last payment for print sales was something like $3. I stopped marking my photos for sale, but I recall reading that A.net ended their partnership with the print company and never found a replacement anyway.
    Last edited by Cary; 2011-02-06 at 06:53 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Hey guys, Just got my first upload to A.net yesterday thanks to manny :)
    but last night i get an email saying
    Dear Sir,

Is it possible to get this digital photo of American Boeing 777 ID=2248484 and if possible with 2.MB+

Your picture will be ONLY use for my private photos collection on B777

Thanks

Dann
    WHAT DO I DO?

Don't send the photo,unless he is willing to pay. If he wants it for his private collection,then the photo size on A.net will work fine. I get several requests during the year asking for the same thing.

Doug

Jared, that guy has reached out to just about everyone who has posted a 777 photo on A.net. From all I've heard, it really is for his personal collection, but if you say yes one time, he won't leave you alone. Up to you what you want to do, but I normally don't send him anything.

Yes Jared ..... Just ignore that email. Some others may make the same requests as well best thing to do is hit the delete button.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

My rates vary based on who the client is. Some people look at this as "Oh, so when it's a business, you just look to milk them?" but actually it is the opposite...my rates are high, but I offer discounts for smaller busniesses, educational facilities, civilians, etc.

But with that I don't exactly have set rates. There are so many variables. Where will it be seen? What is the distribution? How much money will they be making off of my photo? What kind of file do tehy need and how much prep to I need to do before transfer? Is there an increased liability for future theft or misuse in this sale? All of these affect my pricing.

If you throw out some scenarios, I'll tell you what I'd charge.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks everybody...Just not really comfortable with sending him anything, especially after what moose said... If he needed it for personal use, wouldn't the A.net photo suffice?
    Also, does anybody know how photo sales work? And does anybody know how to link the photo thumbnail with the ID.. having trouble