Thread: Interesting convo about the TSA's Backscatter X-Rays

Interesting convo about the TSA's Backscatter X-Rays

So one of my responsibilities where I work relates to Radiological safety and part of that is dealing with all the States different laws concerning the topic. So today while I was speaking with the head of Florida's safety board concerning some radiological issues we starting BSing about the new backscatter devices and he shared some interesting information that I thought was worth food for thought....

-Since these devices are property of the Federal Gov't they do not fall under the same state guidelines (many of which are stricter then Fed rules) for X-Ray safety.

-The Federal Gov't has not shared with any state agency the X-Ray scatter profiles of these devices.

-The Federal Gov't has not shared with the states any dosimeter badge results. A dosimeter badge measures radiation exposure over a period of time.

Now while this may mean nothing it certainly goes to show you the lack of transparency within the TSA and DHS.

I will also state that if anyone tells there's not enough radiation exposure to cause cancer that person is lying. The fact is science does not know the effect radiation has on the human body at small doses over time. We only know the impact of radiation in large doses such as Hiroshima, and large industrial accidents.

I got a chuckle as we ended the conversation when this gentleman said perhaps jokingly or not…if he ever finds the TSA transports one via truck over state highways Florida will confiscate it for testing so the TSA better fly all these units in.

Yea, right.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    Yea, right.
    Is this an offical response?

No it means it isn't even worth responding to. You were obviously talking to someone who is full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    No it means it isn't even worth responding to. You were obviously talking to someone who is full of it.
    If he was full of it then I'd ask for you to provide a public link or record to prove him wrong. Lets see the test results for these machines.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    I agree. EMS, you've defended these machines ad nauseum, WE pay for them and yet, we can't we see the data?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

OK you want an unofficial response?

-The Federal Gov't has not shared with any state agency the X-Ray scatter profiles of these devices.

Not true. When the state OSHA asks, information has been sent. DHS/TSA has not hidden this information but it makes a better conspiracy theory to say they do.

-
    The Federal Gov't has not shared with the states any dosimeter badge results. A dosimeter badge measures radiation exposure over a period of time.

There are no dosimeters worn by DHS/TSA personnel so thats why the information isn't shared. Again a false statement.

Now while this may mean nothing it certainly goes to show you the lack of transparency within the TSA and DHS.

There has been plenty of information released. http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/safety.shtm

I got a chuckle as we ended the conversation when this gentleman said perhaps jokingly or not…if he ever finds the TSA transports one via truck over state highways Florida will confiscate it for testing so the TSA better fly all these units in.

The machines are transported via truck from the warehouse in Texas. I would love to see your friend try to confiscate one as it would be his last act as any type of official and would land him in jail quickly.

Why don't they wear dosimeter badges? How does the Fed Gov't know the total exposure these workers receive over a period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    Why don't they wear dosimeter badges? How does the Fed Gov't know the total exposure these workers receive over a period of time?
    "Federal employers and employees are covered by Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, not State regulations, even when the state has an occupational safety and health plan approved by OSHA. In accordance with Federal OSHA regulations, dosimeters are not provided on a routine basis unless the equipment emits radiation in excess of OSHA standards."

Some airports have had officers wearing them to to monitor the long term exposures.