Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JFK This Coming Sunday (1/30)

JFK This Coming Sunday (1/30)

Hi, all.

Thinking about heading out on Sunday (forecast: mostly sunny, 30 degrees) if my skiing plans fall through, which is likely.

Manny and Mark, since you guys never, EVER seem to have work and are ALWAYS out at the airport, I figure it's likely I'll stumble upon you somewhere, but let me know here where and when you'll be out.

Nick, Sergio, Heeshung, whoever else I've met and spotted with, let's get a good crew out there!

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

I was thinking about Sunday too, since Sat looks crappy as of now!
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

im gonna have to pass for sunday.. I have dinner arrangements with my fiance since its gonna be her birthday.. Tis My fiance and I wants to come spotting on March, we could Def hang that day, we might head out to LGA though..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Could work Tis will advise!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

last Sunday was very slow at JFK... weather was great but traffic terrible. I will be around this weekend... hope the Sunday will give us some specials...
    Living The Dream...

Thanks for the good wishes Antonis (re: no work LOL) but I assure you, I have PLENTY of it. I just manage to do it throughout the 24 hours in the day. It also pays to have the chance to visit vendors and multiple locations etc. If JFK were any closer, I would pitch a tent!

Anyway, not sure about coming out. Have bigger problems with the wife than with work. My wife feels I like planes more than the family (don't tell her LOL) so I have some payign back to do... that's why you didn;t see me this last Sunday Chris!

Anyway, if I can get away for a little while, I'll be wherever the crew is hanging out... most likely departures in the morning and arrivals in the afternoon. So if 31s, HoBe and Panera... if 22s, The Mounds of course. If the 4s, Bayswater, cold and all. Have not been to Bayswater in like two months... I miss it.

BTW, 4L departures from The Mounds are as exciting as anything... especially super heavy A340s and 747s.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Hope to see lots of people out!

Manny, I hope you weren't insulted by my comments. I'm jealous of how often you and Mark get out!!

My favorite place for 4L departures is North Woodmere Park in the morning. Amazing bank shots.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Should be around Sunday since Saturday is no good for me because of a christening I'll be attending. If any, I might be out just on Saturday morning for a few shots (this is a big IF).
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I'm still fairly new to the site, But I would LOVE to head out there for the first time :)

Talking about Wife Manny.... My wife almost killed me in Vegas cuz she had plans :) for whole 2 weeks... :)))) unfortunately I was trying to catch as many Southwest "State" planes as possible :)) I also learned myself that shopping is not a solution after a while....

RED just do it :)
    Living The Dream...

Chris, speaking of shopping, I did managed to keep my wife shopping a good 3-4 hours in the shopping center at Panera a few weeks back while I was shooting there .. Manny was in shock .. LOL
    I have to use her car during the winter esp with all the crap on the roads, since mine does not come outta the garage !!

Gotta figure out a way for this Sunday ... Hmmmm
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

RED, come on down... the more the merrier...
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    I'm still fairly new to the site, But I would LOVE to head out there for the first time :)
    Look at me, I have even less posts in here than you do :) Go for it RED. If weather's fine, I'll definitely be around unless they stick to HoBe or Bayswater all day (I'm limited to 200mm for now).

Bayswater is GREAT for 4R arrivals with 200mm or less. 4L arrivals/departure taxi is limited in quality no matter what (400mm will compress heat shimmer more than you care about) and only really OK for landing aircraft just before getting too close to the runway and even then, you will get a lot of heat shimmer distortion. Even in the coldest day there is heat distortion :-(

HoBe is OK with 200mm if the aircraft turn at the right time. So while you won;t have many options, they are not horrible. Sometimes they pass directly overhead, sometimes too far away or they turn so soon that you may even get the right side of the plane (FedEx, EVA, Giant and Evergreen are notorious for this ;-)
    Manny Gonzalez

Thanks for the tips Manny. For some reason, I still can't imagine taking a proper photo at Bayswater with 200mm. I only went there once and everything seemed faaaaar (plus, the spotting guide on the site mentions 300mm+). But hey, I'm new to this and I'm gonna have to work my way through the learning process. As for HoBe, yes, I did see some possibilities last week when I was trying out my camera but like you said, timing needs to be right.