Thread: Weekend trip to Nashville

Weekend trip to Nashville

I am typing this trip report at work and do not have any capability to upload photos onto my computer here so I will add all necessary photos later after I do some editing.

Southwest
    Flt 1690 7:15am
    PVD-PHL

I arrived at teh airport shortly after 5:00 am, not really remembering how easy it and quick is was to get through security screening at Providence. After getting through the security efffortlessly, I made my way out to the terminal to locate my gate. Upon arriving at my gate I took a stroll to see what other aircraft were at the gates and didn't see anything of interest. After scoping out the parked aircraft I decided I would get a bite to eat so I made my way to the Dunkin Donuts and grabbed a sandwich and a coffee. After eating my sandwich and enjoying a cup of coffee I decided I would take another stroll as I was starting to get a little antsy (it was my first time flying in a year and a half, and I was headed to see my kids for the first time in 6 months. Long story.) and I'm glad I did. As I got to the corner of the concourse where the Delta RJs were parked I saw them de-icing the one closest to the terminal so I cranked up the ISO and snapped what I thought was a cool looking shot.

After taking that photo I decided to walk to the other end of the terminal where the USAirways gates are to kill some time but there wasn't anything of interest there either. I headed back to the gate and occupied myself playing games on my phone til it was time to board shortly before 7:00. While watching the first group board (I was B2) I realized how amazingly good people listen to the boarding instructions and then laugh about it with their husband as if they didn't know that they were wrong. The A group finished boarding and I got up in line and boarded shortly there after. Upon finding a window seat I had started to remember just how cramped a 737-300 is.

We pushed away from the gate prompty at 7:15 and made our way out to the runway. We stopped on the taxiway and had to hold up for about 10 mins due to traffic congestion at PHL. Once we were cleared we taxied to the runway with one flight ahead of us ready to take off. Once it was our turn the pilot didn't waste any time and was giving it full throttle as soon as he had her straightened out. I just love it when they do that! We lifted off and flew almost straight down teh Narragansett Bay and bankedright just before getting to Newport. I was on the left side of the plane and the sunrise was absolutely beautiful out over the ocean. I saw a great opportunity to take a shot of the sunrise over Martha's Vinyard but as soon as I got the camera out the plane banked againto the right and I could no longer see the island. I had to settle for the picture I did manage to get looking southeast over the ocean.

Right after I took my pictures out the window the "uniformed crew members" (RIP George Carlin) came around asking us for our complimentary beverage selections. We ran into a little light turbulance over I'm guessing eastern LI. I believe it was eastern LI because the last thing I saw before we got into clouds was Block Island and the turbulance came about 10 mins later.

We landed in PHL and got to the gate a little ahead of schedule which was nice. PHL isn't as bad an airport from what I experienced, well at least not for making a connection anyway. I stayed at the end of the concourse to watch planes arriving. The light wasn't the best for taking photos as it was overcast and the windows were kind of dirty but I took a couple but they are by no means great shots (I will post them in the spotting section). After getting some dissapointing shots I decided to take a walk away from the end of the terminal (E) to see if I could get any better shots. No luck with that effort, and after walking away from the end of the terminal I missed a chance to snap a shot of a UPS 767. Go figure.

Southwest
    Flt 524 10:00
    PHL-BNA

I boarded the plane in PHL with minimal effort in position A46, but not before being pulled out of line for a random TSA bag screening. I definitely didn't see the point of that as all they did was unzip my bag and moved an envelope I had on top and tell me I was all set. I got onboard and grabbed my seat at the window again, except this time I sat behind over the rear of the wing as the flap operation on take-off and landing facsinates me for some odd reason. It was a full flight to Nashville and one person had to give up their seat because we were over booked. The seat in the middle of my row remained open for a majority of the boarding process. I saw a few people that I would have loved to be shoulder to shoulder with for the next hour and 45 mins but I guess they wanted to sit in the back fo the plane. Instead I got to sit shoulder to shoulder with the biggest guy on the plane.

We pushed away from teh gate in PHL on time as well and quickly headed out to get lined up for takeoff. We were lined up 11th or 12th for take-off. This didn't bother me too much as the flight to Nashville is only an hour and 45 mins and the alotted us 2 hours and 15 mins to get from gate to gate. It was definitely cramped sitting next to a guy who's shoulders were easily three feet wide. We were definitely thre people that should not have been sitting all in a row together because I'm 6'5" and weight about 240 and the guy in the aisle seat looked about the same and the guy in the middle was about the same height but easily weighed 280. I was really beginning to wish I was sitting in the row in front of me with the three ladies that probably only weighed 330 all together. That would have made for a much more enjoyable flight.

We arrived at BNA about 6 mins late, but no worries as I had plenty of time to rush down to the car rental counter. I got off the plane at 11:30 on the dot and needed to be on the road by 12:00 to make it to where I needed to be by 2:00. I got to the rental counter and was in my car (bright red 2011 Camaro) and on the road by 11:45.

Southwest
    Flt: 680 1:50pm
    BNA-PVD (quick stops in RDU and BWI)

I arrived in the area of BNA a little early and did some spotting from their Official Observation area before returning the rental. The official observation area was a little better than I expected. From the info I had read about it I did not expect it to be elevated or give too clear of a view. The view wasn't bad, I had a nice view of the FedEx cargo area nd teh terminal was in the distance. I could get a good view of the planes landing and taking off on Runway 2L. Anything else was useless to try and get as there was alot of haze in the air. I even heard the pilots talkign about the haze (liveATC.net on my phone). THe air traffic was light and the only planes that were coming or going were Southwest and RJs. Nothing impressive.

I returned the rental and got into the terminal shortly before noon and made my way through security. Another pleasant experience going through security. I then made my way out to the concourse and grabbed a bite to eat and a couple of beers at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. I figured since I was in Nashville I should do the right thing and grab some bbq, so bbq pork platter it was. It was quite tasty if I do say so. I sat and watched the Bears Seahawks game while I ate and kinda of chocked a little when I got my bill. A $10 pork platter and two beers was 26 and change. I couldn't believe that one of my beers cost almost as much as my food. I think the lounges are taking hints from the airlines when it comes to prices or something.

Anyway, while sitting at the bar I noticed my flight had a comment next to it on the display on teh wall. I got up to check it out only to find that it was delayed 15 minutes. I got to the gate and found out it was delayed because the plane was late getting out of houston. I boarded the flight at 2:00 and we pushed back at about 2:15, 25 mins behind schedule. This was another full flight and once again I was stuck in a row with two other guys about the same size as me. I once again had taken a window seat at the back of the plane.

This leg of the flight went well. I saw some beautiful scenery as we flew over the mountains. We landed in RDU about 15 mins behind the original scedule, so we made up about 10 minutes so far. Most of the passengers got off the flight in RDU. Only myself and two other people stayed on the plane to continue on. Leaving RDU I was lucky to only have one other person in the row with me so the middle seat stayed open. We pushed away from the gate and we were off. I even think we shaved a little more time off on the ground at RDU so we were almost back on the original schedule. Once we got to cruising altitude the sun was setting. It was beautiful, so I had to snap a picture of it. Shortly after gettign served our beverages the sun had completely set, which was about the time we were flying past D.C..

We landed at BWI on runway 33L (which I figured we would). We had made up all lost time up until this point and were on teh ground on time but........ When we pulled up to the terminal there was a plane still at our gate that was running behind schedule. We sat on the tarmac for about 20 mins waiting for that flight to finish up and get pushed back. After everybody got off the plane, which this time a few more peopel stayed on, I moved my seat up to the front so I could get off the plane quicker in PVD.

Again, the flight boarded relatively quickly and was not a full flight. I did have someone sit in the aisle seat in my row, but was lucky enough not to have a third person in the row. The only downside to this flight to PVD was the annoying Patriots fan sitting int the row in front of me. The surprising thing is that it was the WIFE that was the annoying fan. The husband was actually the one telling her to let it go. It was good though because the flight attendant must have been a jets fan or something and made a few comments. I felt compelled to throw my two cents in too. On approach to PVD the flight attendant got word of the score from the pilots and told us the final score of the game. This got the pasenger upset and she started mouthing off about how the flight attendant was running her mouth. I may have been running my mouth (not even that badly), but the flight attendant certainly wasn't. Anyway, we landed in PVD about a half hour late and I noticed a rather large plane at the terminal at the continental gates. I had to check this out!

So getting off the plane I thanked the flight attendant for being fun (and not a pats fan) and was on my way. I got into the terminal and made my way quickly (didn't want to spend too much time) to the continental gates. My assumptions were correct, and I was looking out the window at a Continental 767. I finally put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion that it was the chartered jet for the New York Jets waiting to take them back to Jersey. I would have snapped a shot of this had they not parked at the gate with all the extra doors and security areas to go through.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Program Coordinator
    So getting off the plane I thanked the flight attendant for being fun (and not a pats fan)
    Such a shame.

Otherwise great trip report!

Sorry for knockin that Pats Jeremy. I may be from New England (born and raised) but I can proudly admit to being a Dolphins fan. I know, I know. I started liking them when I was in the fourth grade (when they were actually good) and I'm not really sure what made me start liking them but I've stuck with them ever since, even through their 1-15 season.

And thanks about the compliment on the trip report. I'll be flying down to Nashville again the first weekend of April. I can't wait to write my trip report on Reno in June.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Here are some of the pictures from the trip as mentioned in tmy trip report.

I was going to post the photo od the Delta RJ getting de-iced, but the high ISO made for alot of noise. I tried using photoshop CS2 but the results weren't all that great. Anybody have any reccomendations for software to reduce/eliminate the noise? If so that would be great.

Anyway, on with the pics.......

This is the sunrise out over the Atlantic shortly after take-off from PVD

The rental car of course

Together at last!!

The wonderful Tennessee countryside after takeoff from BNA. Its wierd seeing snow on the ground when flying above TN

Somewhere over the TN/NC border???

Sunset between RDU and BWI

I will post the FEW spotting pics I took in a seperate thread in the spotting section of the forum.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net