Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Jetblue at KISP?

  1. #16
    Senior Member hiss srq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Around here and near there.
    Posts
    5,565
    I cannot comment on the actual topic but I would venture to guess you will see a new airline at ISP within the next 12 to 16 months... Probably using a mid short range mainliner... It would be interesting to see something along the lines of Q400's at ISP though... I'm going to call Tommy out to the floor to post a Newsday article he shared with me a few years ago.. The picture in the article at ISP will probably floor many of you... I know I spent a good 30 mins drooling over it myself...
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    If they are competing against the Southwest name, my guess is ISP will see DL mainline. MD-88s and 737s will probably be touching down regularly.
    About 10 years ago, DL 737-200s under the name Delta Express were a common sight at ISP bringing folks back and forth to Florida. IIRC, FLL & MCO. WN won that battle.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285
    You're not going to see MD88s or 738s are ISP from Delta...they can't fill them. Simply because Southwest may very well start ATL service once the AirTran meger is done doesn't mean Delta isn't going to jump in the market with 140+ seat planes flying to one destination. it will cost Delta far more per seat mile then it will Southwest to operate an ATL route. If you stop and look at the industry today airlines aren't jumping into markets simply because another airline is there, they are concentrating on markets they are already strong in or markets where they can link with their alliance partners to maximize moving passengers to more points other then the carrier's termination point.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,581
    I don't know if anybody saw this article in Newsday, but are they hinting at possibly more airlines there?

    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...port-1.2654846
    Steve Furst

    View my work @

    Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285
    "The Federal Aviation Administration now lists MacArthur as a New York City airport. "

    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL And we wonder why the FAA is so F'd up... Let me take out my map I drew some years ago to show how ISP is NOT an NYC airport.....

    btw....my rather rudimentary study down below is far more research then the FAA has done in this case...


  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,581
    NIce map T-bird. I guess the FAA wasn't on the distribution list. Lol
    Steve Furst

    View my work @

    Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    You're not going to see MD88s or 738s are ISP from Delta...they can't fill them. Simply because Southwest may very well start ATL service once the AirTran meger is done doesn't mean Delta isn't going to jump in the market with 140+ seat planes flying to one destination. it will cost Delta far more per seat mile then it will Southwest to operate an ATL route. If you stop and look at the industry today airlines aren't jumping into markets simply because another airline is there, they are concentrating on markets they are already strong in or markets where they can link with their alliance partners to maximize moving passengers to more points other then the carrier's termination point.
    This is not going to happen today. I give it a few years. Southwest is a much harder contender than AirTran and DL has competed in ways that don't make them money in the past. If this merger does happen and WN does start ATL, then I'm almost positive DL will be all over it. Even if not an MD-88, the DC-9-50s will probably go in. I can't see Delta letting this happen without them fighting back, I really can't.

    To add on to your FAA map, no, ISP isn't a NYC airport, at least not like the Big 3. Long Island is heavily populated on its own with a few million in Nassau and Suffolk Counties alone. While I wouldn't expect someone from Valley Stream to drive out to ISP, people from Seaford, Bethpage, Levittown, Farmingdale, Oyster Bay, Woodbury, etc probably would, basically east of the Wantagh Parkway. Also, if the PANYNJ thinks they can transition SWF into an NYC airport, then you can easily add ISP to that list since they are accessible by NYC via the Ronkonkoma Line of the LIRR, not to mention 15-20 miles closer than SWF.
    Last edited by JetBlueAirwaysFan; 02-02-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    This is not going to happen today. I give it a few years. Southwest is a much harder contender than AirTran and DL has competed in ways that don't make them money in the past. If this merger does happen and WN does start ATL, then I'm almost positive DL will be all over it. Even if not an MD-88, the DC-9-50s will probably go in. I can't see Delta letting this happen without them fighting back, I really can't.
    All over it like a fat kid on a cupcake? I forgive you for everything you don't know about how a business works......

  9. #24
    Senior Member hiss srq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Around here and near there.
    Posts
    5,565
    The last thing we need is the Port to go buy ISP now... LMAO... Of course, I am just stirring the pot here... If it has a mark on a sectional and someone considers it part of NYC Port wants a peice. LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    All over it like a fat kid on a cupcake? I forgive you for everything you don't know about how a business works......
    I know how a business works. I also have seen Delta try to compete when an airline starts an ATL route that it already has. They are very defensive of ATL. Do you see the amount of mainline flights DL has at PNS with AirTran there? How about DL's schedule upgrade from CRJs to CR7s and CR9s at HPN with AirTran flying there? Then there is DL adding MD-88s to ATL-MDT/ABE when FL did their seasonal ATL service and resuming mainline on ATL-PWM? ATL-DAB also went all mainline and DL announced LGA-DAB within a week or two of AirTran (and ending it within a week of them too) when they made their horrible attempt there. Southwest has a much higher customer base over AirTran and has made a great name for themselves and they are much stronger competitors in my opinion as well. If Southwest enters ATL through an AirTran acquisition you don't see Delta competing heavily with them? Do you understand what I am basing my opinion off of now, because I think it's definitely a valid one.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •