Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetblue at KISP?

Jetblue at KISP?

Hello,
    Does anybody know if Jetblue will ever be flying out of Islip (KISP) anytime soon?
    I have heard rumors but was wondering if any of you know? Thanks!

Dave

There's been rumors for years now. If jetBlue felt they could turn a profit at ISP they'd be there. There's not enough of a market from ISP for jetBlue to risk cannibalizing part of their JFK ops. While the planes may go out full to Florida if jetBlue started that route it doesn't mean they go out profitable. The one thing to look forward to from ISP is Southwest opening up ATL service once the merger with Airtran is complete, this route is almost a certainty.

Thanks for answering as it makes sense.... It would be so easy though

Southwest is running some flights out of ISP for $49.00. I'm not sure B6 could compete there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrusso View Post
    Southwest is running some flights out of ISP for $49.00. I'm not sure B6 could compete there.
    JetBlue frequently has $39-$49 specials on short routes.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

JetBlue being there as well doesn't mean they will be competing. Different route structures are all is would take to avoid competition. However, airport operations may be difficult to make room, even though Southwest has scaled back pretty heavily at ISP, perhaps freeing up some space.

ISP is so politically..."persuaded" by Southwest, I think, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but the truth. Southwest is what allowed them to grow like they did. I wonder how that would affect other airline's ability to get their foot in the door with a dominant force.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I think there is a definite need for some other carrier(s) at ISP instead of just Southwest and US Scareways. While my feelings regarding Southwest have changed of late, I actually think that their clout with the town of Islip may be waning as their flight count declines. I could be wrong, but I think I read that Islip town was wooing other airlines to ISP.

At the end of the day I would love to have Jet Blue at ISP, but I'd watch for others too.......
    If UA/CO had a Q400 route to IAD or CLE, now that would probably be sustainable according to my friends at CO....

The perfect dream flight would be to reinstate the ISP-EWR shuttle of years gone by..... but that is a virtual impossibility..

Speaking of US, I am scheduled to fly US for the first time in over 3.5 years next week....should be interesting--but crediting all the miles to CO.
    It's the fares, stupid

What about Delta going back to ISP? Service to DTW and ATL may work for them again. I recall Delta did rather well at ISP and was there for a long time even after Delta Express. I think Delta has a much different route structure and many different aircraft that would suit ISP.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I'm sure this is probably a very stupid question but I'll ask it anyway....

As I have mentioned before, when I was growing up I would visit my grandparents in Islip Terrace (1990's) and there house was directly in the flight path for approach to ISP. I remember ISP being pretty busy at the time and had many different carriers there. I can remember USAir, Delta, United, Continental, and American all flying over the house. There was alot of turbo props, but at the same time there was also alot of jet service.

My question is, what happened to ISP? Why did service there get scaled back so much? Was it just the eccconomy and the airlines not finding it profitable to fly there? Personally, if I lived out on the island today, I would rather drive 10-30 mins to ISP and catch a connecting flight, than drive up to an hour or more (possibly traffic) to catch a flight out of LGA or JFK (and chances are that I'd be connecting anyway from there).
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I'm sure this is probably a very stupid question but I'll ask it anyway....

As I have mentioned before, when I was growing up I would visit my grandparents in Islip Terrace (1990's) and there house was directly in the flight path for approach to ISP. I remember ISP being pretty busy at the time and had many different carriers there. I can remember USAir, Delta, United, Continental, and American all flying over the house. There was alot of turbo props, but at the same time there was also alot of jet service.

My question is, what happened to ISP? Why did service there get scaled back so much? Was it just the eccconomy and the airlines not finding it profitable to fly there? Personally, if I lived out on the island today, I would rather drive 10-30 mins to ISP and catch a connecting flight, than drive up to an hour or more (possibly traffic) to catch a flight out of LGA or JFK (and chances are that I'd be connecting anyway from there).
    I used to live in Baldwin but up until AA pulled down their RDU hub we used ISP a lot. My parents would fly us from ISP-RDU-DAB on AA. I personally think ISP will get more airlines entering their market. I don't think we will see low fare competition between Southwest and JetBlue, but I do think CO/UA and DL may go back in. Suffolk County is much more built up than it was and Eastern Nassau County (Bethpage, Seaford, Farmingdale) Residents would probably be attracted more and more to ISP. I think the service to the NYC Area Airports is protected enough for additional service in Islip.

Bottom line Steve, not a stupid question at all.
    Last edited by JetBlueAirwaysFan; 2011-01-19 at 12:13 PM.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I would love to see more variety in service go back to ISP. I still have family that lives in Islip Terrace and would love to go spot out at ISP and see more than Southwest 737s.

I tell ya, I used to love hearing that whining and roar as the MD80s would fly over my grandparents house when I was younger, and in the evening they would light up the kitchen. It was great.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I would love to see more variety in service go back to ISP. I still have family that lives in Islip Terrace and would love to go spot out at ISP and see more than Southwest 737s.

I tell ya, I used to love hearing that whining and roar as the MD80s would fly over my grandparents house when I was younger, and in the evening they would light up the kitchen. It was great.
    I think it will happen. My guess is within the next year or two. If Southwest launches ATL after the AirTran merger I can almost assure you Delta will be back and at it. When AirTran announced SWF Delta announced they were going back to SWF within a month or two of AirTran's announcement I believe.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I hope so. THat would hopefully get some of those MD88s back in there.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

If they are competing against the Southwest name, my guess is ISP will see DL mainline. MD-88s and 737s will probably be touching down regularly.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

That would be awesome!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".