Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exit Row Seats

I feel emergency rows should be given to non-rev's, airline employees who will actually know how to use the exit. There shouldn't be a fee for sitting in these rows.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejuice View Post
    FAA regulations require that passengers that sit in the exit row MUST speak english, Verbally acknowledge that they can obey all directions issued by the crews and no children.
    We have many times have had delayed departures due to moveing the passengers around so that the requirements can be met.
    So if you do have to be moved do they reimburse the passengers who paid extra to sit there?

Yes, you get a refund... I have goten refunds for other seats such as the front seats with more legroom on some planes and when I have volunteered to move or whatever other reason, I have been reimbursed. You may have a hard time proving it and going through the motions, but in the end, if you can prove you did not fly your seat, they will refund you.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Yes, you get a refund... I have goten refunds for other seats such as the front seats with more legroom on some planes and when I have volunteered to move or whatever other reason, I have been reimbursed. You may have a hard time proving it and going through the motions, but in the end, if you can prove you did not fly your seat, they will refund you.
    You shouldnt have a hard time and have to prove it!! Now thats some BS!! They should automatically give you some type of proof on the spot!!

Being 6'9", I am a regular 'customer' of the exit row seats (it simply is painful to sit in another coach seat for more than an hour when your knees are literally jammed into the seat in front of you, no matter how you put them).

As others, I refuse to pay extra for those seats and usually I either get lucky at the check in at the airport or, having Delta's status last year, was able to reserve them in advance.

To Phil's point, they may not have been reserved in advance by those people sitting there, airlines do keep those seats reserved, so that's why they show up as taken.

I also agree with a few other folks here that I did not seem to experience much of an issue with people that should not be sitting there being there and I fly every weekend now. My only issue recently was a guy that could not fit into his seat and he was sitting in the exit row. I doubt he could of gotten out that exit. Usually the only thing I see regularly is a ton of carry-on luggage stuffed only partially under the seat in-front.

While on topic of carry-on - Spirit has been charging for carry-ons for a while now. I think Allegiant was considering that as well.

I am not sure what regulations are out there for the space in the exit row. Mesaba (or Mesa? or both?) do not have any extra room on CRJ 200s. Southwest has very little extra room on the right side with a ton of room on the left side. Some others (Continental?) do not have any extra leg room on some 737s, except for the window seat where they just take out the seat in front of the exit row's window seat. So it can be a toss up, I always check seatguru for the airplanes/airlines that I do not fly often enough to know.
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

I can definitely put Spirit on the list of airlines I will not be flying. I can't believe that they actually charge you for carry-on luggage. I think they should only charge you for carry on luggage if you have to check it once you find out that it won't fit in the overhead bin.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net