Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exit Row Seats

Exit Row Seats

I think that it is a poor practice, possibly flat-out unsafe, for airlines to charge extra for exit row seating. I’ve been flying a bit lately, and it seems that when there’s an added cost for it, that people who shouldn’t be sitting there end up there.

Last time I flew to Florida, both flights up and down had to have the entire exit row replaced with new passengers. Children, people who didn’t speak English, the elderly and more, were sitting there. Replacing them prolongs preparation time (as it flight attendants don’t have enough to do), and if by chance someone doesn’t get properly replaced, someone that shouldn’t be there will affect my ability to get out in an emergency.

Meanwhile, able and willing people who are actually door-trained (like me) have to pay more because we want to help. I don’t even care for the extra leg room…even with my height I don’t care about that. I just want to be someplace that I can be of assistance if I need
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I agree; I'm 6'2 and the exit row makes flying commercially at least somewhat tolerable, but I'm not going to shell out $30+ just to sit there. As far as I know it's a FAA requirement to have that much space in between rows for safety reasons; I don't think the airlines should be capitalizing on that. Not to mention, in the unlikely event that something should happen, I would want someone in some sort of physical shape or even better someone trained in aircraft operation sitting there, not some 85-year old, 100 pound grandmother on her way to Florida.

Luckily I made elite this year on United, so at least I can pre-book economy plus at no charge which I think includes the exit row.

Totally agree... and is not just that, I know things are tough but charging $3.00 for a bag of 5 chips or even $3.00 for a bottle of NON Poland Spring is tough.

This trend of extra money for extra legroom has been slowly creeping up. The sad thing is if the flight is in demand, it WILL SELL no matter what... someone will sit there. I hardly ever see a non full flight anymore. There was a time when I could fly Jet Blue from FLL to JFK on the last evening flight out of FLL where everyone would have their own set of three seats ;-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

You're definitely right Manny. THings are getting a little out of hand with charging what the airlines are for everything. I haven't flown first class in probably 10 or so years, but at the time first class was getting all the ammenities for free. I am beginning wonder if when I fly out to Reno this summer on USAirways first class if I'm going to have to pay for my beverages and meal.

It almost seems that at the rate the airlines are going with all these fees, pretty soon we're gonna get charged for carry-on luggage too.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I HAVE been charged for Carry On luggage ;-)

Wait wait, I think I have to pay for my wife's seat!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    Phil, I agree wholeheartedly. Flew a lot lately as well and had to question a number of the folks in the emergency rows, and on one occasion as well they had to reseat a row.

FAA regulations require that passengers that sit in the exit row MUST speak english, Verbally acknowledge that they can obey all directions issued by the crews and no children.
    We have many times have had delayed departures due to moveing the passengers around so that the requirements can be met.
    "You above all"

Phil how do you know the people that were sitting paid anything extra to sit there? There's a very good chance they were placed their automatically, by a CSR, or held status whereby the seat is open to them at no charge. Plus when you do purchase those seats there is a disclaimer and rules you need to agree to just like there is when the seat is selected at no charge. If the person decides to lie and say they meet the requirments there's nothing an airline can to prevent that upfront. To be honest this is a non issue, with all my flying I've only seen a reseat a couple of times

Being 6ft5 I hate when you board a plane and it's a 4ft11 grandma with her legs crossed reading an over sized newspaper in the Emergency Row

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    Phil how do you know the people that were sitting paid anything extra to sit there? There's a very good chance they were placed their automatically, by a CSR, or held status whereby the seat is open to them at no charge. Plus when you do purchase those seats there is a disclaimer and rules you need to agree to just like there is when the seat is selected at no charge. If the person decides to lie and say they meet the requirments there's nothing an airline can to prevent that upfront. To be honest this is a non issue, with all my flying I've only seen a reseat a couple of times
    Because when I go to reserve my seat weeks in advance, exit row seats are already reserved, meaning it was the choice of the pax.

I saw reseats of full row or maybe one without on both of my last two flights. Either way I jsut think it's wrong.

Also keep in mind that the emergency door there is HEAVY. Many men would have a difficult time with it. Just heavy dead weight.

What made the airlines decide to start doing this? Was it brought on only by greed and the airlines seeing an opportnity to make a few extra dollars? It should be like it always was when you couldn't get the emergency row until you got to the airport to check in for your flight. Even if they want to charge extra for it, they should keep it that way and it could avoid all of the reseating ect since the person at the ticket counter would be able to ensure that the passenger would be "capable" of sitting there.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Because when I go to reserve my seat weeks in advance, exit row seats are already reserved, meaning it was the choice of the pax.

I saw reseats of full row or maybe one without on both of my last two flights. Either way I jsut think it's wrong.

Also keep in mind that the emergency door there is HEAVY. Many men would have a difficult time with it. Just heavy dead weight.
    Just because you see them reserved doesn't mean they are occupied. Airlines do not show you all the open seats when you select a seat at time of booking. Many of the choice seats will be blocked out to you because you're not an Elite but yet they are available, and some will only be opened for selection the day of departure at the airport. As an example if we booked an AA flight to MIA, non of the Biz class seats which are sold as coach would be open for you to choose via the website, however they would be open to me, same for the exit row seats.

How would an airline decide who sits there? The system they have in place works and if the FA feels a reseat needs to take place then so be it. You can't begin to have specific rules stating who can sit there and who can't. While many men may have trouble with the door I'd wager some woman would have no trouble with it. In all cases when an exit row is selected either at time of booking or at the airport the customer has to agree to be able to operate the exit door, if they lie they lie... The airline just can't profile who they think can open it or not.

I can't imagine JetBlue or Delta blocking out seats that they offer extra money for in the chance that someone with a lot of true blue points will pick it. Either way, unqualified people are ending up in the seats. I shouldn't take a delay because an airline wanted to make an extra $180 in legroom fees.

If you are not an elite flyer on the airline you choose, those seats will show occupied unless you are elite and log in. Happens on AA and DL to my knowledge.
    The whole issue of unbundling is a separate discussion, but we have taken a public stand against nickel and diming airline passengers because it is very difficult to get full disclosure on the full cost of a ticket.

If the airlines were able to raise fares to levels which would be sustainable but not rip us off, there would be no need for these fees, but it is what it is. Air travel is much cheaper than it should be based on the cost of providing the service...but again that's another topic for another day.
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I HAVE been charged for Carry On luggage ;-)

Wait wait, I think I have to pay for my wife's seat!
    oooooo Manny I hope she doesn't read this site LOL