Thread: PVD-PHL-BNA on 1/15

PVD-PHL-BNA on 1/15

Hello all,

I would like to start by saying that I have been reading this forum almost everyday since I discovered the site a few weeks ago and finally joined last week and love it. You guys have a wealth of good information on here and the pictures I've seen are amazing. I am also relatively new to the spotting (well with regards to photographing). I've always had a fascination with aircraft, but only since the summer have I had good quality photo gear again. Also, I wish I lived closer to NYC so that I could take some trips out to JFK. THe only airports I have in close proximity are PVD and BDL. Not really any decent traffic at either location.

On to the main reason for this post.....

I will be traveling from Providence to Nashville on the 15th by way of Philly. I was wondering if anybody has spotted at PHL from the terminal. I won't have a lot of time between flights so I won;t have a chance to leave the terminal area to go outside. I will be flying Southwest so it looks like I'll be at Terminal E. Is it likely I would be able to get anything other than ramp shots from there?

Also, Has anybody ever spotted at Nashville? I will be driving back to the airport early on Sunday to try an get some spotting in prior to departing. If anyone knows of any good locations there, the info would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, great forum guys. I look forward to reading more and posting some photos from my next spotting adventure.

Program Coordinator
    Steve, welcome to NYCAviation! I haven’t been through PHL since 2008, but I remember the gate spotting being relatively accessible across all the concourses. I do remember switching and going between a handful of concourses and that Southwest planes were moving into the area to my right, which suggests gates at the higher alpha – I want to say I was at the E or F concourses. I could also be crazy. So I guess all that to say that I remember a very enjoyable hour or two of terminal spotting but apparently not with much clarity. Never been to BNA though.
    I am slightly jealous of your PVD flight – I moved out to Seattle from Worcester MA and I used to spot PVD all the time.
    Anyways, welcome aboard.

Thanks Jeremy.
    Do you remember how they were in the terminal when it came to snapping off shots with a camera? I won't exactly have a small point an shoot with me that I could conceal. You mentioned spotting at PVD, where would you spot from? I tried spotting at the end of 5 to get arrivals one day after work, but didn't have a scanner with me to hear ATC and soon realized they were landing 23. I couldn't find a good place to shoot from and heard that the police and security can be a hassle to spotters on the garage if you don't have permission to be there.

When I fly out on this trip I'll be leaving at 6:30 in the morning and returning the following night so there will be no shots to be gotten for me at PVD this time around. I will see what I can get in Philly and Nashville though. Hopefully I will have something worth posting for you guys.

Program Coordinator
    I was using a 100-400 on a 40D at the time and didn't have any problems - definitely got some attention but no one said anything and I was never approached. Here's a few shots I snagged:
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6381804&nseq=2
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6427440&nseq=0

PVD is a pretty good place to shoot once you get the spots down (below). You can also contact the operations department which may hook you up with a pass to be around the field (this was in 2008 last time I tried). They were great about it when I called - and once I explained what it is I was doing and where I wanted to be to do it they were pretty willing to help out - I believe most of the same folks are still there so I don't think you'd have too big a problem but you never know. When I did it, it allowed me to sit anywhere along most of the perimeter fences (they'll tell you where you definitively cannot go and ask you for a general list of where you expect to be) so long as I was not disturbing operations (like blocking an entry gate), it also allowed me to be on top of the parking garage. They had me check in with the on airport police when I got there, badged me and sent me on my way. I returned the badge at the end of the day. As you know PVD isn't a huge traffic airport but some really nice shots can be had from there. Made for a great day being exactly where I wanted to be.

Runway 5 Arrivals

Runway 5 arrivals are easy to watch, as several nearby areas are prime for watching. Winslow Park is right by the approach path and is a public park, making it a safe place to watch. Warwick Industrial Drive has several dirt pulloffs which make it good for catching morning arrvals. Strawberry Field Road, which is next to the long term parking lot (which is also another good area) is near a semi-abandoned, quiet neighborhood which can also yield good views.

Runway 5 Departures

Runway 5 departures are more difficult to watch. The terminal parking garage can give good evening views, as can the after-hours parking lots on Commerce Drive. Cedar Swamp Road, near the fire station, is a morning area to watch for departures. Like Strawberry Field Rd, it is in a mostly abandoned neighborhood.

Runway 23 arrivals

Commerce Drive's parking lots as well as the parking garage provide good views of runway 23 arrivals. Remember not to disturb active businesses and only spot on weekends in these parking lots.

Runway 23 Departures

Anywhere you watched runway 5 departures.

Runway 16/34 Arrivals/Departures

The parking garage and local shopping areas make for good areas to see runway 16 arrivals and departures. You can also catch departures at Cedar Swamp Road.

Ground Action

The parking garage is very good for watching the Southwest gates. The only other real place to watch would be in the terminals.
    Last edited by jerslice; 2011-01-04 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks again Jeremy. That info is very helpful. Id like to say that the next time I have a day off I'll go try those spots out, but I'd much rather take the 2.5 hour drive and come down and spot at JFK and LGA. I've always wanted to come spotting down there. When I was growing up my grandparents lived out on LI and I would see all the flights for JFK either in the holding pattern or just on their inbound approach. Their house was also right in the middle of the final approach path for ISP and only about 5 miles out. It was great, and where my love for planes and aviation started.

Its good to hear that the 100-400 lens will work for shots from the terminal in PHL as thats what I'll have with me along with a 28-105 which I may use for any ramp shots. Those shots do look good, especially the DC-9. I don't know what it is, but there is something about those that grabs my attention. I hope the windows are nice and clean when I get there. Looking forward to sharing my shots with everybody when I get back.