Thread: Filters

Filters

What kind of filters do you guys use in different scenarios while spotting?
    Thanks!
    Adam Sheinhaus

I just keep a UV filter on my lenes when spotting. I do have a polarizer, but that I typically use for landscapes. When shooting sunrises and sunsets I remove the UV filter, because of flare.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

None. I have circular polarizer in the bag, but seldom use it.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

I have a 2.0 Neutral Density filter I use for longer exposures, works amazing on getting landscape shots.

IN addition, I also have a circular polarizer and UV filter.

Never unless for a needed situation. If there is a need for ND filter, then an ND filter, if shooting through glass, a polarizer, etc. But by default, lenses should be naked. No matter how good a quality the filter is, it is another air to glass surface that your light has to go through :-). No thanks... If you take care of your lenses, the protection offered by a UV filter let's say, is negligible and the potential for lesser image quality goes up by a huge percentage in my opinion.

Now, for digital, I am a big proponent of not doing WB corrections in camera or in post more than a few mired from Daylight which is the natural calibration of all consumer digital camera sensors

I believe in the old fashioned way to correct the light temperature before it enters the camera via CC filters... I have done extensive testing on this and the effectsnon noise and exposure can bebtremendous, especially with artificial tungsten lighting

Test this yourself and be amazed. Shoot a scene inside your home under incandescent lights and set the WB to
    daylight. Now shoot the same scene with a 80B or even an 80A cc filter

Now bring the images into Photoshop and WB each manually to Daylight and compare the channel data and then especially the individual channel noise levels :-)

In sunny days not so much but in cloudy days there is a huge Kelvin/ mired difference.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    Just picked up a pricey neutral density filter for some airborne work and long exposures. Otherwise than that; never. Well, not entirely true...I will sometimes use a standard UV filter that I'll stick on if I'm shooting something that has a high chance of scratching the lens (weddings & other similar type events). But for the majority of the time I never use one...the loss in quality is not usually worth it. The filters I do have are some of the best you can get and there's still a noticable difference.