Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EWR 12/30/2010 (Image Heavy)

EWR 12/30/2010 (Image Heavy)

So I broke the cherry on EWR for spotting. They used 22L/R for arrivals most of the day. I only had about two hours of opportunity as I was picking up my daughter from Montclair. I scouted for about an half hour before I took my first shot. There are a few options for afternoons of 22's that aren't great but not bad. You can certainly snag a desired aircraft without much trouble if it is a stop and go affair. Nothing looks safe. I shot these mostly from the entrance to the North Cargo area just before the entrance to the long term parking lots at the far north east end of the airport. Stop shoot and drive. So it cost me on gas but was not bothered by PAPD or otherwise.

Love the way this American 757 looks in the golden light!!

Snow helps with belly light :-)

Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-01-02 at 10:13 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Nice set Manny ... Looking good as always !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

thanks. Light sucked until 5 minutes from sunset
    Manny Gonzalez

Way to go Manny! For the short time you had, you did an outstanding job.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks Mark... I just wish I had more time. I need to scout around the airport like we do at JFK ...especially the cargo areas. I think the passenger areas are strictly blocked by the gates/terminals so no good from street side but I think FedEx and other areas like it are perhaps visible from the outside perimeter
    Manny Gonzalez

Great shots Manny! The light may not have been great, but the lit up bottoms look fantastic. Did you drive away, then come back every time you saw a plane landing? I definitely have to get to EWR before Continental is gone, although we should be getting a lot of CO looking planes at IAD ;)

Nice stuff, Manny. If you're willing to drop $18 on parking, the long term parking is a great way to get those same shots without having to move around. I've been shooting there for three years (relatively) hassle-free.

Thanks John... well, it was more like one or two, then get nervous, drive off, try finding another spot, drive back etc. Hit or miss, not really solid. There is a spot right outside the Radisson, Ramada which is a turnaround of sorts. I saw lots of Black Car Service just sitting there so I sat there too and figured if they can hang, so can I :-) The first tow in the shot are from there.

Here is a map of the spots I used yesterday.

http://goo.gl/maps/tus2
    Manny Gonzalez

NLovis
    Nice shots manny. I envy that CO 777 star alliance. It didnt show when I was there. I do have my guide up to where I spotted from last time if you ever head back.

Thanks Nick... yes I saw it thanks... there were TWO Star Alliance 777s yesterday :-) One landed while the other one was holding short on 22R... incredible.

@flyboy 28 thanks, I actually considered it and then I saw the constant security rounds and the constant bus rounds and then they had a team of guys with shovels digging people out so I decided NOT to try. Maybe next time I will give it a shot. I saw some spots inside that looked like good vantage points.
    Manny Gonzalez

Man those last shots have some great light to them.

I've sat in that turnaround by the Radisson when attending the EWR Collectibles Show in September. Takeoff shots aren't really that good, even though you can sit there for a few (especially when there are other cars there)

Vincennes, Indiana, United States, 109477929070449, Vincennes, Indiana
    Brilliant exposure and some wonderful shots.The lighting and the winter colors have been captured beautifully..Well done Manny.I think i just got an CO high...I love COA.
    Spotting Deprived Spotter...Need some spotting....

Thanks Vivek :-) I really am trying to take advantage of the snow and the natural reflector it creates. I am old fashioned, if it were up to me, I'd have a gigantic California SunBounce especially created for large airplanes diffusing the harsh sunlight on the planes LOL. While full on hard sun is great, it makes for harsh light and super extreme contrast ratios. So either the top of the fuselage wins and the belly loses or you blow the top to get detail in the belly. With Snow on the ground, that problem is minimized tremendously and I get just the kind of lighting I prefer. My taste is for really narrow 5 stop or so range...
    Manny Gonzalez

I want to get a few Colgan Q400's myself. One of the neatest planes to shoot in my opinion.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Great shots Manny, I was on the CO 737-700 N14704 coming from SNA. Didn't think anyone would be shooting that day, but great to see that shot.

Nice work.

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!