Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7D anyone

7D anyone

I think I am pulling the trigger.. Canon Loyalty will be about $1100 and right now I am sporting the 40D. Is there any observations on the 7D that I should know?

I was going to do the T2i as it is almost the same camera and wanted a backup. I figured if I did a T2i it would be 18MP an would be my main camera but I do not like the smaller feel of the Rebel series. It cramps my hand after a few hours of "heavy" shooting. I am not happy to spend so much more and get so little more than the T2i.
    I do understand the differences but they are not a big deal to me. 3shots per second up against 8, Wireless flash trigger built in and the better sensor on the 7d but almost the same.

Any input, what do you like of dislike with the 7D?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    What few Canon people I know say it's great. AF takes a little getting used to as it's radically different but image quality is very good.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Program Coordinator
    Fred, check your NYC PM's.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Fred, What is Canon Loyalty? I did a quick search online but nothing really from the canon website about it.

Does anyone have experience with it?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Fred.......I send you a PM
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Fred, it is all about image quality... and if you need reach and concentrated MP, the 7D delivers the best bang for the buck... 1.6x crop + 18MP is some serious horsepower with 400mm in front of it.

The next best dense sensor is the full frame Sony Alpha in 35mm land and while it does not share the same mount, it is truly amazing you can get 24.x MP for less than $3,000... other than that on a crop sensor, hard to compete with the 7D.

The only flaw it has in my mind which every other camera has is really bad Auto White Balance LOL especially indoors!

Enjoy your new camera! We in Nikon Land still away a pro level mega megapixel camera. D3X is waaaaay too expensive :-(
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Honestly the T2i has way exceeded my expectations and I have been very happy with it so far.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Fred, What is Canon Loyalty? I did a quick search online but nothing really from the canon website about it.

Does anyone have experience with it?

Customer Loyalty Program's direct number is 866-443-8002 , option 2 for digital camera upgrades. You will get a person on the phone giving you pricing on what your looking for.

current prices
    xs $319
    xsi $399
    t1i $479
    40d $719
    50d $839
    sd1200 $86
    7D and 5D II also in the program

Here is one of many threads on this....like cash for clunkers...trade up your broken camera!

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...d.php?p=441645
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Well, today I went to take the plunge but they were out of stock on the 7D. I will call again every day for availability and will pray they are in stock soon.

eBay seems like the only place you can get them. Hot camera!
    Manny Gonzalez

Fred, did you look into the 60D also? To be honest, I'm not especially happy with my 7D. The evaluative/center-weighted metering is too inconsistent and random for me, the noise at ISO400 and lower is quite a bit more than I remember with my 40D, and the AF on my first two 7D bodies was screwy (that part seems to be a lot better with my third body, which I purchased about 8 months after the first body I got). From the samples I've seen, the 60D looks like it has less a little less noise than the 7D, plus it's cheaper.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

http://the-digital-picture.com/Revie...ra-Review.aspx

I agree but double the Frames Per Second, Weather sealed, CF instead of SD as I have 2 8GB cards now will save me some money and I like that I can dial in each lens.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...800_NR_OFF.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...12800_NR_0.HTM

I have looked long and hard at the T2i/60D and 7D and now you have to make me justify it all over again? GREAT, another 3 hours of reading reviews and looking at side by sides!!! Real nice Cary! ahahah Any more input guys?

I think the autofocus will make me wait for the 7D.. I keep hearing that it is insane in low light. Higher FPS is also a good selling feature as all the hand held HDRs I do... Still doing more reading but the more I read I feel safer with the 7D.

I thought this was good read
    http://pepinordona.com/canondslrupda...d-vs-canon-7d/
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-01-13 at 11:33 PM.

Cary,

I think noise pattern is definitely better on a lesser density sensor, mathematically. No matter what Digic II vs II vs IV you read, physics are plainly visible here. The 18MP sensor on the 7D is one of the highest pixel densities I have ever seen. Removing borders from around the pixels, better microlenses, etc. all sound good and nice, but in the end, the photon collector well is small.

As Fred said, sometimes the compromises can be balanced by the rest of the feature set.

Cary, curious, have you compared at matching sizes or native 100% crops?
    Manny Gonzalez

I re-sized the originals to 1024px wide and saved straight to JPG. I do notice a slightly noisier image in the 7D (these are the ISO 200 samples btw) but NOT all over... only some areas. It looks like the lighting changed between tests.

Since this forum theme re-sizes images, right click on each and select VIEW IMAGE to see full size version.

7D

40D

Manny Gonzalez