Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Blizzard December 2010

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    @ Fred, I did my donut run last year.

got our new SUV and on one of those snowy wednesdays, I hit the mall parking lot and turned off the VSA. What I failed to realize with the new car was that drifting sideways and revving the RPMs while completely turning the steering wheel into it was not good for hte steering pump. it failed 2 days later and the car was barely 3 months old!

All covered under warranty ;)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

WOW, just was watching News12 Traffic and Weather and they had a camera shot of the Southern State WB at Peninsula Blvd. It is shutdown due to too much snow and there are tons of
    cars just sitting there GOING NOWHERE!!! Now that is scary!!
    And the wind is howling out there. Just came back in after walking one of my dogs. The other refuses to go out!! LOL he's the smart one!!

UPDATE: Looks like they got the cars moving but I heard they were out there for awhile!!
    Last edited by Gerard; 2010-12-27 at 12:13 AM.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Sounds pretty ridiculous on the part of the crew.(as it pertains to VA004).

Insane to hear about the Southern State. That is something people will be talking about for years!
    Last edited by mirrodie; 2010-12-27 at 12:09 AM.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

JFK is doing great. No arrival or departure delays!

I guess that's what a few hundred cancellations will do for an airport...

I've been at work at JFK (crew scheduling) for 13 hours so far and will probably be here for another three before working again 2-10pm. Downline flying is sincerely FUBAR. Actual airplane movement is mostly okay, but our crewmembers position via confirmed commercial tickets which, well, aren't doing anybody any good today.

I'm also here for so long because I can't physically leave. Didn't drive, AirTrain is down, and there is literally three feet of snow blocking the door. And even though the company is putting us up in a hotel room for the night, the shuttle takes 1-2 hours to pick up.

Oy.
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i made it to work no problem this morning but that doesn't mean it wasn't an interesting drive. took me 30min to get my car dug out, then another 10 to drive down the street. snow drift in the driveway was up to my waist and the street is knee-height. none of the roads in greenpoint have been plowed as yet. the BQE and GCP are just as bad with only one or two lanes passable. abandoned cars are everywhere, even sanitation trucks are stuck in snow drifts. i even picked up some girl walking along the BQE after abandoning her own car. LGA itself is still closed apparently and nothing is moving aside for plows. taxiways and runways are getting cleared slowly and ramps are keeping a close second place. no flying for us until at least 1000L... and i think i'm kissing my california new years plans goodbye.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Wow !!! ATC is still completely silent. I have NEVER [heard] this before LOL.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

AIRPORT CLOSURES
    ARPT TIME REASON REOPEN
    ACY 12271300 SNOW 12271700
    BDL 12271220 SNOW 12271400
    CDW 12260600 SNOW 12272000
    EWR 12270303 SNOW/CLSD UFA 12272100
    HVN 12270001 SNOW 12272359
    ISP 12271300 SNOW 12271800
    JFK 12270117 SNOW/CLSD UFA 12272100
    LGA 12270900 SNOW/CLSD UFA 12272100
    MMU 12270001 SNOW/CLSD UFA 12272359
    SWF 12271220 SNOW/CLSD UFA 12272359
    TEB 12271300 SNOW 12271500

Can't remember a time when all 3 airports were closed! JFK usually was able to keep at least one runway open during previous storms. Saw numerous diversions last night on flightaware to MDT, AVP, IAD, BDL, ROC, ALB, SYR and a few more. Most interesting one I saw was BA177 LHR-JFK diverted to YUL! I hope affected pax were able to get off the plane and into hotels.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

When NYC is a mess, especially Manhattan, you KNOW this was a major storm!! Dont think anyone going anywhere today unless its outside to shovel which i will be doing soon!!

Yup things are crazy on news el al passengers were stuck on the plane on jfks Tarmac for 9 hrs!

I'm stuck I'n dc :( I had 2 delta flts cancelled from Reagan and Bwi to Kennedy- currently just sitting tight waiting for any signs of news and then backlog will be huge..
    Qantas orders 188 narrow body aircraft!!!

Program Coordinator
    Sitting in Worcester MA...we've got about 6 or 7 inches on the ground (but we're in the 15-20 zone). Seems we're getting out of it so far...the wind is kicking up good though.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Saw an interview with one of the EL Al pax. Said the crew was great, fed them and all was fine. He said may read or used their laptops. Then again a 747 is a bit better than an A320.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Just made it to work... NYC Sanitation Truck got stuck itself trying to plow my street. It was about 1 1/2 feet deep in the center and uphill LOL. I also had to help one of their supervisors who decided it was OK to go out in his Prius... dumb move... Not only is it front wheel drive, it has no Posi Traction (limited slip, and it was really limeted LOL) two Sanitation workers and myself just kept pushing while he stepped on the gas. It was weird having the wheels moving fast and only a slight whine hahaha.

Anyway, things are bad in NYC... The Henry Hudson is open and north of the GWB it is very clean, at least two lanes perfectly clean... drove 65mph no probs. The inner streets, even Broadway, is still pretty snowed in about 2 inches... it has been plowed, but then there is the darn wind...

Our parking lot at work is a 8 story structure, open on all sides... there were cars INSIDE that were totally covered.

@Quantas.. Matt good luck coming to NYC... hopefully you'll make it in time before you have to go back home :-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

TEB is back up with 6/24 plowed, runway 1/19 is still closed but expected to re-open at 1200 local. The major 3 however aren't doing so well, closed with re-open status unknown.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by HPNPilot1200 View Post
    TEB is back up with 6/24 plowed, runway 1/19 is still closed but expected to re-open at 1200 local. The major 3 however aren't doing so well, closed with re-open status unknown.
    Was out shoveling and a jet flew overhead south to north. White w/black engines. After 12PM. Not sure where he came from.
    Wind still howling but sun shining brightly!!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Updates on airport re-openings:
    Atlantic City Intl (KACY) is currently experiencing an airport closure until Monday at 06:00PM EST due to snow.
    Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR) is currently experiencing an airport closure until Monday at 06:00PM EST due to snow.
    Long Island Mac Arthur (KISP) is currently experiencing an airport closure until Monday at 05:00PM EST due to snow.
    John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK) is currently experiencing an airport closure until Monday at 06:00PM EST due to snow.
    LaGuardia (KLGA) is currently experiencing an airport closure due to snow.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094