Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Northeast Blizzard December 2010

LGA is stopped in and out but not officially closed.

KLGA - New York, New York
    Updated at 7:51 PM GMT on December 26, 2010 (2:51 PM EST):
    METAR KLGA 261951Z 36015G22KT 1/2SM R04/3000V5000FT SN FZFG BKN004 BKN010 OVC015 M02/M04 A2956 RMK AO2 SLP009 P0004 T10221044 $
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    LGA is stopped in and out but not officially closed.
    Then the PANYNJ would have to pay.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    WAs at Waldbaums at 0930. No joke, the line for the registers in the front stretch around 2 and a half of the store walls. (That means, down the aisle, up the length of an aisle, and then across the back wall of the store. NUTS) I took less than 15 items...was in and out in 7 minutes. Went to Waldbaums again at....130. Still crowded but no lines.
    ShopRite opens at 7. I was there at 8AM, walked out at 8:01AM abandoning my cart in the middle of fruits/vegetables. It was an absolute zoo. I had enough at home that I didnt need to
    put myself through that crap. My wife and daughter went around 3PM and had no problem.
    Islander game probably wont be cancelled as Montreal is already in town. Not certain when their charter (FRG?) will depart.
    LIRR has 20 minute delays system-wide and might stop altogether if it gets worse. Sucks if I cant get in to work tomorrow as I lose the Xmas holiday pay. You have to work your scheduled day before and after the holiday to get the holiday paid. Might have to bite the bullet on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Islander game probably wont be cancelled as Montreal is already in town.
    Team website says the game is still scheduled, but anyone with tickets who doesn't attend can swap them for a later date this season. In the past when there has been heavy snow they did the same, and I think they also gave some kind of freebie to those who braved the weather and came to the game. I expect about 200 people at the Coliseum tonight.

American cancels all flights to and from northeast airports until 10am Monday.

No flights at ISP until noon Monday.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    American cancels all flights to and from northeast airports until 10am Monday.

No flights at ISP until noon Monday.
    AA at LGA saying first outbound at 8:45AM but running 50% capacity.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I just listened to JFK ATIS - they listed all four runways closed, said the airport is closed, but after all the notices about snow on the runways and taxiways and such, they included "Bird activity in vicinity of airport"

I was listening to ATC earlier when the storm started and an American Airlines female pilot reported a Father Goose, a Mother Goose, and the ATC said, wait for the kids LOL. Birds aparently don;t care about the weather hahaha
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

According to the FAA OIS site JFK is closed until 5am local tomorrow. Very rare that we actually see JFK shut the door and roll up the carpet.
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

This is neat. I've been hoping for a blizzard lately. A few miles north of EWR at my house visibility looks to be no more than 200ft, making for a really interesting sight that I don't remember witnessing in the last few years. I spent a few minutes waist-deep in snow enjoying the very limited view down my block while listening to the occasional ATC transmissions.

According to the FlightAware data, at JFK in the last few hours a JetBlue E190 and an A320 manged to land, and a Cathay 777 circled for a bit before landing at 6:40. Tower has just announced 4R could be open in 1-2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Team website says the game is still scheduled, but anyone with tickets who doesn't attend can swap them for a later date this season. In the past when there has been heavy snow they did the same, and I think they also gave some kind of freebie to those who braved the weather and came to the game. I expect about 200 people at the Coliseum tonight.
    And all Canadien fans!! As usual a huge contingent made the trip down from Montreal!! Going back might not be so easy!!

Hearing that EWR and LGA are now closed also, not showing up on FAA site yet.

Virgin Atlantic MegaFail

Virgin Atlantic Flight 4, scheduled to depart JFK at 6pm, actually taxied out even though nothing was moving.

They never took off, now there are no gates, and now the plane (an Airbus A340-600) is stuck in the snow. AirTrain is halted, LIRR is effed up, so people are going to have a hard time getting anywhere if they ever do make it back to the terminal. (Subways are okay, cabs are probably around but roads are in rough shape).

Writer Jason Cochran has been tweeting the ordeal from on board, sounds like a mutiny may be coming:

@bastable
    Now we've lost a lavatory!
    8 minutes ago

@bastable
    @NYCAviation Yeah. Big jolts as the tow trucks fail us.
    13 minutes ago

@bastable
    @
    @nomadicmatt At this point they're all booked. By waiting, we were screwed.
    15 minutes ago

@bastable
    @NYCAviation Check my tweets: Snowed in on the tarmac! Flt 004. Refused to cancel, now we're stranded out here. Can't get us to gate.
    21 minutes ago

@bastable
    Since we got stuck on this VA plane, the AirTrain has shut down, subway's stalled, LIRR crippled. Even when we reach the gate, we're stuck.
    26 minutes ago

@bastable
    @EstherK Hah! That was nothing compared to what was to come.
    27 minutes ago

@bastable
    @EstherK Awesome! 41A!
    39 minutes ago

@bastable
    We knew something was fishy when @VirginAtlantic said every flight was cancelled--except ours. So why go? Now look.
    39 minutes ago

@bastable
    Photo from inside the stranded @VirginAtlantic flight. May be useful later for identifying mutineers: #travel http://yfrog.com/hs5runj
    42 minutes ago

@bastable
    Lesson for @VirginAtlantic: If you can't fly safely, don't taxi.
    48 minutes ago

@bastable
    @EstherK No, they taxied! Now we can't move.
    51 minutes ago

@bastable
    Could be warm at home if only @VirginAtlantic had the sense every other airline had. Now I'm snowed in on JFK tarmac. At least serve drinks!
    53 minutes ago

@bastable
    Send in the plows.
    56 minutes ago

@bastable
    Seems like everyone knew planes couldn't fly today. Everyone except @VirginAtlantic. Now we're stranded on tarmac. Oh yes, babies screaming.
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    We may be stuck out on the JFK tarmac for a long time, hemmed in by snow. You can feel the tow trucks' wheels spinning. 3 hrs on & counting
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    @MikeTRose The flight was for London.
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    JFK: So far, grounds crew can't get traction to bring @VirginAtlantic back to gate. 250 of us were dragged out here needlessly & stuck now!
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    @MikeTRose Yes! It's a huge mess. So irresponsible!
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    @nomadicmatt They were irresponsible. There was no way. Now I'm marooned on tarmac. Can't even get back home cuz trains are crippled now.
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    The AC's back on @VirginAtlantic. But that's little comfort to 250 people needlessly dragged out to JFK for obviously impossible flight.
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    Now JFK @VirginAtlantic flight is stranded on tarmac because so much snow has fallen. Mutiny brewing. This shouldn't have gotten this far.
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    JFK: @VirginAtlantic flight refuses to cancel early, boards 250, sits on tarmac for 2.5 hours with no AC. THEN cancels. People are furious.
    1 hour ago

@bastable
    The scene at JFK tonight: #travel #snowpocalypse http://yfrog.com/h72qrrj http://yfrog.com/h7ox8gj http://yfrog.com/h3xdnxyj
    3 hours ag
    UPDATE: They're free at last after 4.5 hours.
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2010-12-26 at 10:39 PM.

Thats one way to put it. Just saw LIRR is SUSPENDED system-wide.
    And Moose, 3100 was announced at the Coliseum!!

Bad decision by the crew. In my view they should have shut down the airport around 6pm or earlier. The wind is kicking now, and can see squat out the windows.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2010-12-26 at 10:59 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet