Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Blizzard December 2010

Bloomberg reported today this is the most snow ever dumped on the north east in December for over 6 decades!

I was out with my daughter last night downtown Manhattan at The Apple Store before coming home... We saw Lightning and Thunder and about what felt like 50-60MPH wind gusts... never in my life have I experienced Lighting/Thunder in snow and those hurricane winds!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Probably not major news, but, it seems JFK is a parking lot. CX 840 was on the radio with Ground (?) begging for a gate. BA is full. In fact all the terminals are full. The best Ground could offer was Terminal 4 with 5 aircraft ahead of her.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I'm curious. As of 1:30 AM EST, does anyone know if the Conduit and Atlantic Avenue has been cleared by NYSD in Queens and Brooklyn? Or is everyone relying on the Belt and Van Wyck? Are they clear?
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

I'm heading to bed. Kudos, btw, to the tower and ground controllers at JFK. They seem to have been handling this mess quite competently considering the circumstances. In between the frequency of reporting wind and braking conditions to arriving and departing flights, and the consistent check ups on aircraft and their passengers waiting for gates or TO slots on the ground, I think this negates all critics who pan these professionals. I only mention JFK because it's my long time favorite and this is what my radio is set on. I have no doubt LGA and EWR have come through with Flying Colors as well.

Heard the NY Jets flew into Newburgh last night from Chicago and bussed down to Florham Park, NJ. The Giants spent Sunday and Monday in Wisconsin and hope to get their charter into
    Newark sometime today.
    On a personal note I'm at home Day 2 with the LIRR still a mess. I use the Hicksville station and they are saying "limited service" on the Huntington & Ronkonkoma lines which go through
    Hicksville. But "limited service" means one train per hour, local the whole way slow speeds and extremely crowded. And from what I am hearing and seeing on TV they are having difficulty with that. Luckily I can afford to take these two days off but i need to be back by tomorrow. Might have to drive into Forest Hills, garage the car and take the subway in.
    Well could be worse, at least I'm not flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    . The Giants spent Sunday and Monday in Wisconsin and hope to get their charter into
    Newark sometime today.
    Actually just saw a Twitter feed that the Giants charter just pulled out of the gate at Appleton Internatioinal in Wisconsin.

Thats one way to put it. Just saw LIRR is SUSPENDED system-wide.
    And Moose, 3100 was announced at the Coliseum!!
    The subways in the Bronx were very bad too.. Also many buses stranded.. Monday the trip on Metro North back to Poughkeepsie took my fiance and I about 4 in a half hours to get back because of limited trains.. It appeared that Metro North was using only the diesel trains.. I did noticed how covered the third rail was too..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Actually just saw a Twitter feed that the Giants charter just pulled out of the gate at Appleton Internatioinal in Wisconsin.
    Landed safely at Newark. Too bad there season hasnt landed safely.

Landed safely at Newark. Too bad there season hasnt landed safely.
    A Continental 767-400 did arrive into SWF last night from ORD although I guess it wasn't the Giants charter.

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600 View Post
    A Continental 767-400 did arrive into SWF last night from ORD although I guess it wasn't the Giants charter.
    Probably the Jets charter.

Here is a Pano of the snow
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600 View Post
    That was the Jets - they played in Chicago Sunday.

Was watching Eyewitness News tonite and they showed a piece of equipment they use to clear snow off the tracks. An engine from a fighter jet!!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...her&id=7865543

Its just crazy, I've been listening to Tower/ground for the past hour, every aircraft that lands has atleast a 2 hour wait for a gate.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture