Thread: Trip Report AA681/682 RT JFK-MIA 777 J

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Trip Report AA681/682 RT JFK-MIA 777 J

AA681 on AA 777-223ER #N798NA/7BG

Seats 12 degh

We try to see our family in Florida at least once a year as well as catch a few nights at the historic FontaineBleau Miami.

At the time of booking, these were flown by a 767. Last week while reviewing seats and times, I realized we were now on 777s. I was happy to say the least as it'd been 5 years since my last flight on a 777, a First class trans Atlantic ride home on AA. ( 5 year to the day later that I would have been stranded in LHR. Go figure)

As I packed, I was on the phone with my travel guru friend who gave me a lovely tip.
    This led to nice lie-flat seats in business on both legs of the trip. A 777 jet upgrade with a nice seat. Wow!!!

We are seasoned travelers and apparently are good at it, since several flight attendants on both flights commented on how efficient and calm we were. So the following is useful for traveling families with young kids:

1. You can fly without checking luggage! Pack smart.

2. the Traveling Toddler Strap is a huge help if flying with a car seat. Best $15 spent ever. EVER.

3. Portable DVD players are nice but use them when you need them. There is SO MUCH on a plane to stimulate a young mind on a plane. Plane parts, sounds, maps, its endless! Plus books are a lot lighter than a DVD player and don't run out of battery power.

4. Roam around the terminal as much as you can before getting into the aluminum tube to sit for several hours. Even a 2.5 hour flight can easily be doubled by delays. Or as one 2.5 hour trip went, it extended itself to 7 hours.

5. I wait to board the aircraft very late, then I take the family to the plane but have them wait by the entrance door and not board the jet. I go in first with the carryon bags, then come back for the car seats, then the family follows. Its a systematic process, works me up into a nice sweat and it works.

We had unexpected snowfall departing the home, so my morning began with clearing off the car then loading the car and at the airport at 0830 for a 1010 departure. We backed from the gate 15 minutes late and had a de-ice truck come over and do the honors.

My good friend took a photo of our departure. Nice shot! You can't see us seated over the wing since we are in the middle section of seats and my son was in the starboard window seat.

The flight into MIA was bumpy but quick and unremarkable. My son watched Toy Story and my daughter cooed and played the entire way. Their first ride on the 777. His second ride in business class, her first. Spoiled brats????!

Upon descent, my son's ears hurt and the crying and screaming began. Sadly, I was no help. Its only 5 minutes but a tough 5 minutes.

I always love landing in Miami and seeing so many liveries that I never see in NY. Avior, Centurion Cargo. Air Tampa, SBA....I can go on and on.....sadly I never leave time to do some spotting. We are there for family.

We gathered the troops and off to Budget Rental....Got a White Chevy Malibu with about 2700 mi on it. It affirms the reason why we did not get a Chevy Traverse. The car works but not without its annoying quirks.

Check in at Fontainebleau was seamless. Valet took our car and we were taken to our room, on the 30th floor, The Tresor Oceanview Junior suite offers 500 square feet of plush comfort. Featuring a King size bed replete with new 400 thread count Egyptian lines, spacious sitting Parlor with a full size Sleeper Sofa, and Balcony boasting magnificent views of the Atlantic Ocean. The Tresor Oceanview Junior suite is uniquely enhanced with sophisticated amenities including a 32” High Definition LCD TV, iHome radio, In Room Private Bar, Kitchenette with mini-refrigerator, sink and microwave, Marble Bathroom with granite countertops, Oversized Jacuzzi tub and Spacious walk-in shower.

We then toured the grounds with our guest services coordinator, Chris. Some nice restaurants, such as GothamSteakhouse, Hakkasan and Scarpetta (which we've eaten at the NY outpost of) and some that were really geared toward families, La Vida, La Cote and Fresh.

5 pools, lots of great eye candy as well as a doting poolside staff and a kids pool with waterslide....bring on the mojitos!

There was a special going on this week. Kids eat free, so we took advantage. Also, kids got a scoop of gelato every day.

The first night was a tad bit too like NY weather so we headed to S. Miami to meet up with our clan for dinner and laughs.

And so it went the entire week. Laughs, family, food and fun. Swimming, cafe Cubano, Sunpasses and oh a bit of spotting when the kids fell asleep in the car in the middle of the day!!! Got an Avior 732, Air Tampa, FloridaWest and Vision, so all new grabs for me, not bad for 70 minutes of spotting.

Also ran into Steven Marquez, a local spotter and very nice guy!! Thanks again for lending me you ladder AND your camera!! (NIck, I used a NIKON!! ;) )

AA682 on AA 777-223ER #N771AN/7AB 12gh 13gh

The family arrived at MIA at 12:57, dropped off the car and got our boarding passes. We took our time going through the TSA.

The TSA: For some, its security and for others, its a hassle. For us its merely an INVENTORY check. Getting all our shoes coats, bags, car seats and my camera bag through while keeping an eye on our belongings and making sure my son doesn't go into the bloody scanner or break the thing! So we take our time and make sure all is proper. The scanners were at MIA but not in use. I didnt get the opportunity to opt out but feel I would probably only since I question everything, as most scientists do and most people should.

Got to our gate and there was no plane there. So we entertained the kids by running around the terminal, showing them planes, etc. The ZERO G 727 was being moved around, nice catch. When our aircraft did arrive, my daughter and I monitored from the airtrain platform. Quite a quick turnaround on the 777 at MIA.

We were among the last to board. The boys sat together as the girls sat behind us.. I love answering my son's questions, every sight and sound is an opportunity to give him more to know and think about.

I dont know what runway we used but it was a SHORT taxi and a brisk takeoff! No sooner then wheels up did the first, "Are we in florida or NY now?" get asked.

He watched ...Thomas the Tank Engine while I caught up on reading while Batman played on Video On Demand.

Landing was another event in kiddie ear pain. All attempts to equalize his ear pressure, blow your ears, chew gum ,drink milk, lollipop.....no good as he cried in pain. 5 minutes of pain and nothing for us to do but try and empathize. Kills me.

And when the landing came.....BAM. We hit the runway pretty hard. I remember the same happening when we arrived....coincidentally on 12/20/05, from LHR....the 777 was in a bit of crosswind...landing on the one set of gear then the second gear, then a nasty bit of rudder to turn us on the runway heading. Quite a bit if swerve...and I guess I wasnt alone thinking so as it was an otherwise unremarkable flight yet everyone was clapping.

Another greAAt flight. I have to thank this moment to recognize and thank the flight attendants on AA. They were very nice to the kids and understanding as I made my 'shuttle runs' back and forth to get my family into their seats. A few of them told us how impressed they were with our 'system' of getting the family up and going.

Although they are there primarily for our safety, I have to say I was shocked (And thankful)! when, at the end of both flights, the FAs got the 2nd car seat for me as I made off with the first one.

Upgrade to a 777, great flight attendants and an opportunity to fly the family in business class. Thats why we fly AA.
    Last edited by mirrodie; 2010-12-29 at 11:51 PM.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Another greAAt flight.

My AAunt AApreciates it too.

I'll see if I can add more pics.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

nice Trip report Mirrodie..

i concur with you about the service on AA.. ive just been on two flights with them- LAS-MIA 738 and MIA-DCA 738 and both were top notch with the f/as providing a great service.. and picking the exit rows in economy helps immensly!

must also say how impressed i was with Alaskan airlines- went LAX-SEA and SEA-LAS with them and again their service was brilliant- providing 2 drink/complement runs on even a short 2h20 sector.. my favourite part of it was when we had a anti skid system failure in LAX- the captain gets on the PA at the gate lounge area and calmly announces what is happening, really a personal touch..
    Qantas orders 188 narrow body aircraft!!!

Flew Alaskan, and upgraded, not a bad airline at all.

But after a brief departure from AA, I think I may stick around.

Nice ,

What were the rates like at fontainebleau? Looked real nice from
    inside as does the new W hotel ..
    Qantas orders 188 narrow body aircraft!!!

We originally booked a room that cost~$350/night but the week of Dec 10-18 the rates began at 199/night.

The following week it went to $250/night and come Christmas to New Years, I think it was headed back to normal rates.

THe room we were finally in above was $760 a night normally but we got a nice upgrade.