Thread: A-320 to HNL?

A-320 to HNL?

Does a A320 have the range to make it from the west cost to HNL? According to Great Circle Mapper it is only 104 miles longer but I know there are many other factors, ( plus they don't always make it to the west coast...)
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Shouldn't have a problem. Alaska has a daily Seattle-Honolulu flight on an ETOPS 738, whose specified range fully loaded is 3,060 nautical miles. The A320-200 has a reported range of 3,200 nautical miles, so it should be fine.

Flying to Honolulu in a narrow body can be done but its just not right at all!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

There are plenty of 757 and 738's making the long trip accross...
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

The A320 in most of todays configs cannot make the trip from west coast to hawaii-let alone have the APU running the whole flight according to ETOPS law. The A319 has the range to do it, and if enough seats were blocked,could make the trip, but its not that profitable-and the APU usage is also the culprit, it would get close but i wouldnt wanna do a go around or hold on fumes.This is why Virgin America hasn't been able to fly out there already.
    Last edited by CDeezNutz!; 2010-12-25 at 11:38 AM.

In addition to what Alex said, the other thing to take into account I cant think of any US flagged carrier that has ever applied or thought about adding ETOPS to the Airbus narrow cert at their company... Correct me if I am wrong however... Overwater cert and ETOPS are two seperate issues.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

British Air A319 London City to New York's JFK :-) First time I saw it, I thought BAW was competing domestically with Virgin America. Then someone told me it was straight from London! Later I noticed ETOS rating on the gear doors etc. I was amazed this little guy would go across the ocean!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

It's an A318. She departs London City with a fuel stop in Shannon, Ireland.

Ah, even smaller then? :-)
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by CDeezNutz! View Post
    The A320 in most of todays configs cannot make the trip from west coast to hawaii-let alone have the APU running the whole flight according to ETOPS law. The A319 has the range to do it, and if enough seats were blocked,could make the trip, but its not that profitable-and the APU usage is also the culprit, it would get close but i wouldnt wanna do a go around or hold on fumes.This is why Virgin America hasn't been able to fly out there already.
    Is that because many US airline's A320s are are equipped without a RAT?

I know US Airways A320's are equipped with RATs because it deployed on AWE1549.

I am unaware of an ETOPS requirement that the APU must be started unless the airplane does not have RAT. Correct me if I am wrong!

Nothing like Continental DC-10 to Honolulu from Newark :-) Last time I flew on one was back in 1999. When did Continental retire their DC-10s?
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by Lrusso View Post
    Is that because many US airline's A320s are are equipped without a RAT?

I know US Airways A320's are equipped with RATs because it deployed on AWE1549.

I am unaware of an ETOPS requirement that the APU must be started unless the airplane does not have RAT. Correct me if I am wrong!
    That is correct, since the 737 doesn't have a R.A.T. the APU must be going for the duration of the flight. I learned that from an AS pilot when talking about the ETOPS program for the 737.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

I hear the one on the A380 is over 1 meter in diameter? Insane...
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by seahawks7757 View Post
    That is correct, since the 737 doesn't have a R.A.T. the APU must be going for the duration of the flight. I learned that from an AS pilot when talking about the ETOPS program for the 737.
    Thanks for confirming thats what I thought!